1 2 3 4
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/19 1:09 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Fuuuuuu.   Got all broken screws out save one.  It won't move at all. Left have drill bits. Screw extractor. Nothing.  Time to find another one. 

Going to be the 2nd week in July before I can address this crap. What a pain in the ass. I just have so much going on. So much work travel. Ugh.  

Anyone have a crank pulley boss for a 1994-1997 miata 1.8? 

Any threads left on it?  If you can get a nut on it then weld inside the nut?  No welder? Get the nut on. Take a bolt of the same size and thread a nut on it. Thread the new bolt into the first nut. Lower the 2nd nut down to lock the first nut down. Then a wrench on the first nut to get it out. Can also try jb weld to attach the nut to the broken bolt. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/9/19 1:13 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Snapped flush. Screw extractors maps gas left hand drill bits. All no work. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/19 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Oh life sucks then. This with it out of the car?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/9/19 1:35 p.m.

See if you can find a local Machinist. I've had many experiences like this that they were able to get me out of for under ten bucks

Fueled by Caffeine
6/9/19 2:14 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I should have done this..  It's good advice, but I think I'm better off buying a new one now.  Looks like I didn't drill it straight enough and the last screw extractor cammed out and grabbed the sidewall of the part.. it's not coming out now and I have an offset hole through it.  

Dang these little parts are expensive.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Miata-OEM-96-05-Crank-Boss-Pulley-FREE-SHIPPING/292271105505?epid=1918860063&hash=item440cb725e1:g:M60AAOSw4DJYmMhR

Treasure coast miata has one for $130..  Ohhh my aching wallet.  Disney trip.. Boundary waters.. new gym..  I'm burning through this bonus at an incredible rate.

Fueled by Caffeine
6/9/19 2:16 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

yes.. got it out of the car.  Just stuck..  this bolt snapped flush.. I wonder if it screwed up the threads when it snapped.. never know now.

Fueled by Caffeine
6/9/19 2:19 p.m.

and ordered...  I'm buying my way outta this one..  Crank pulley is $94 from Rock Auto..  uggh...  Just don't have time.  New parts should be here just before I return from Disney pants face town.  

Fueled by Caffeine
6/20/19 7:56 a.m.

new parts arrived...  put back together and runs.  Just need to fix the lip, put on the splash tray and register the car.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/19 8:01 a.m.

Time or money. Pick one. I can never seem to have both.

Glad to hear it's back up and running!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/19 10:55 a.m.

this one time, not at band camp, i broke off a bolt in a through-hole.   in a rare win for me, i was able to (1) access that hole from the back side. (2) lube and drill it, and (3) re-tap it again from the backside.

Fueled by Caffeine
6/21/19 1:23 p.m.

and she is registered..  can drive legally this weekend.. 

Fueled by Caffeine
7/6/19 1:40 p.m.

Just got back from the boundary waters. Car throws a p0335.  Crankshaft position sensor.  Yup. I'll bet it got bent when the pulley left the car at a high rate of speed.  Time to fix that.  Obdii scanner says that the o2 sensor readiness monitor is not ready.  I knew the exhaust was a little stinky. Time for one of those. 

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/6/19 3:16 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I should have done this..  It's good advice, but I think I'm better off buying a new one now.  Looks like I didn't drill it straight enough and the last screw extractor cammed out and grabbed the sidewall of the part.. it's not coming out now and I have an offset hole through it.  

Dang these little parts are expensive.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Miata-OEM-96-05-Crank-Boss-Pulley-FREE-SHIPPING/292271105505?epid=1918860063&hash=item440cb725e1:g:M60AAOSw4DJYmMhR

Treasure coast miata has one for $130..  Ohhh my aching wallet.  Disney trip.. Boundary waters.. new gym..  I'm burning through this bonus at an incredible rate.

Ouch. Well, at least it's new.

Fueled by Caffeine
7/31/19 12:43 p.m.

Battery is always dead in the car. Cranks slow etc.  

went to costco and bought a 51r for 75 bucks. Miata.net will have me believe I am going to die using this battery.  It’s gonna asspolde.  We shall see.  Next track night around here is the 15th. Still need a helmet and to go through the car before then but I am targeting for my first performance driving event. 

Fueled by Caffeine
8/2/19 9:39 a.m.

ordered a helmet.  it's going to happen.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/19 10:18 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

ordered a helmet.  it's going to happen.

Hells Yes!  Good for you, FbC!

Fueled by Caffeine
9/8/19 6:54 p.m.

Life has conspired against me.  I just didnt order tires due to a minor health scare. Luckily the neurologist thinks it's nothing. MRI soon. 

Anyways. The shoes on the car have cracks in the tread. I don't know if I should run them or not at a track day. 

I'll post pictures soon. 

Fueled by Caffeine
9/12/19 7:45 a.m.

registered for TNIA tomorrow...  fingers crossed the junky wheels and tires I have hold up.

Fueled by Caffeine
9/17/19 5:48 a.m.

SO I did a thing.

https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events/1993956-track-night-2019-minneapolis-september-13

So..  I learned a lot abotu the car.  

1:  It survived.

2:  It was reliable

3:  I am slow.. very very slow

4:  My tires are bad...  Very very bad.. See pictures

5: I got to drive an exocet on a parade lap.. It was amazing.  

6: The format is an untimed laid back track day.  no instruction is provided.  The skill level of the drivers varies and its fun watching the advanced groups run.

7: I got really good at point by's, because I gave them to everyone.

8:  Some dude in a dealer plated Grand Cherokee Track Hawk showed up..  We could kinda keep up with him on the corners..  Emphasis on the kinda..  The straights.. No.. noone could..  that thing is fast.. like he hit the plaid.. 

These are my tires pre session..  Post so much more cracking and removal of rubber

The Field (and some dudes standing in front of the town bike)

The Exocet I got to drive on the parade lap + a headless shot of the owner..  (My camera skills are amazing).

The Exocet owner posted this video.. In which you can see him pass my junk pile easily near the end.

Would do again 10/10

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
9/17/19 6:31 a.m.

XIn reply to Fueled by Caffeine : Thank you, it’s different than I expected.  I thought it would be more autocross and no road racing.  

While it doesn’t have the hills and terrain of great road racing tracks it would be a great place to sort out a car.  Looks the the straight would allow a taste of some speed. Yet there are enough left/right corners to fine tune transitional handling.  No big sweeper to test and sort out steady state cornering  but even great tracks usually lack that.  

I’m impressed, thank you very much next event please let me know  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/19 12:31 p.m.

Glad to see you giving it a workout! You know you’re only a kit away from Exocet awesomeness...

I think those are the wheels that were on it when I sold it. I wonder if it’s had new tires since then?

Fueled by Caffeine
9/17/19 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Negative ghost rider.  Those tires are 10 years old. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/19 12:51 p.m.

Well I’d say they’ve had a good long life...

Fueled by Caffeine
9/17/19 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

thats for sure.

Fueled by Caffeine
9/29/19 4:41 p.m.

Swapped the 17's for 14's with half azenis.  The difference in weight per corner has to approach 30lbs. Those 17's are heavy.  My helper( as seen above) did great right up until he dropped the bathroom scale and shattered it.  I really wanted to know the weight difference but who cares.  I feel like I'm winning at life with him wanting to help me. 

The weight difference is noticeable when driving. The bald azenis are rock hard and the light weight of the hollow spokes makes the car tail happy.  Unless I find a cheap  deal on some track tires I will replace the bald azenis with new ones next season.  It's about some here in minnesota.  

Next real project is a racing seat to allow me to fit better. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EaUt0jhM5xS2C4GqG3pClrlCKZkcFtZl0ecm8LRYMeDDf9LvFFJ1ie8vFHMR1791