1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 45
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/8/19 6:11 p.m.

Asuming it is not etch primer, green used to be a zinc-chromate primer. 

Due to toxicity, the chromate primers have fallen out of favour. 

Pete

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/19 6:23 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Dang, that's cheap! Link to the kit?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/19 7:10 p.m.

It’s from paintforcars.com and appears now more expensive than when I bought it 4 years ago, but still cheap considering i can get 4-6 small cars from one order. 5 star dtm etching primer.  It was $80 when I bought it.  Still have over half a gallon of each part left.

i feel like a large weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and with that no more pictures.  Zero.  Dark. Challenge.

Patrick
9/8/19 9:30 p.m.

Quick recap:  finished masking, primed, had a spot of my crap free guide coat paint lift on front fender.  Primer dries to sand in an hour, wetsanded the lifted stuff to bare, filled a few pinholes and sanded that.  Hit those spots again, waited another hour, sanded them and the rest of the car, then jambed the color with my detail gun.  Hooked up the big gun, I couldn’t get a good spray pattern for E36 M3 so I chucked it in frustration and sprayed the whole car with the little gun.  I’m working far from home all week, so the paint can cure some before i start doing trivial little finish bits.

to do:

left exhaust

build a carb

finalize radiator location and make brackets 

make a gas pedal work

build a steering column 

install glass

finish roll bar

All plumbing and wiring 

assemble a driveshaft out of junk

all trim/lenses

make a trunk latch

battery cutoff switch mount

more seats 

adjust front end hinges

paint inside front clip

mount 6 tires

nut/bolt check

shifter?

make interior 

i can say that my bodywork skills are improving, I honestly cannot look at the quarters and point out an area that gives away that the arches were cut off a volvo and welded on

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/9/19 7:28 a.m.

laugh

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/9/19 8:30 a.m.

Sorry to hear that the big gun crapped out. Any chance the strainer at the bottom of the cup was still there? I have no idea why it is provided because all it does is make the gun not work.

Happy to hear that it is coming together. Looking forward to the unveil since if all works out I will be there to see it in person.

Pete

Patrick
9/9/19 11:32 a.m.

Nah these guns don’t have strainers.  I have identical primer and paint guns, i’m about to go buy a devilbiss to shoot the (insert wild speculation as to what’s happening here) later this week.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/19 11:44 a.m.

i understand zero dark challenge for shock and awe, but if i quit updating the monzora build thread it's because i'm dead.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/9/19 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Not sure what model you are looking at, but I have the Tekna and it does a great job. The best part is that it is very easy to clean so that it works consistently from one use to the next. Something to do with the surface coatings on the metal.

Patrick
9/9/19 1:47 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

i understand zero dark challenge for shock and awe, but if i quit updating the monzora build thread it's because i'm dead.

If you go quiet for 20 minutes i think of finding ways to contact babushka to have her come over and see if the car fell on you

AngryCorvair
9/9/19 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

thanks for looking out for a brother!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/9/19 8:12 p.m.

Go Patrick Go!

Patrick
9/9/19 9:23 p.m.

I finished spray tonight.  I went through my paint guns and threw out everything but the detail gun and my old crappy but faithful ingersoll rand hvlp gun that I honestly forgot i had.  I did my last spraying with that guy then cleaned it up, and it worked fine.  I had a bit of a gaff but it’s all good.  Very excited about how it’s turning out.  Now starting tomorrow i can unmask everything and tear down the plastic curtains and clean the garage for the final assembly push.  I pulled enough masking to get an idea of final appearance and I think I nailed what I was going for.  It’s going to look as loud as it’s going to sound with the dumps open

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/9/19 10:01 p.m.

Vision of bass boat sized metal flake in the paint dancing in my head here.  Maybe just straight up glitter from the hobby aisle.

Patrick
9/10/19 8:12 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Vision of bass boat sized metal flake in the paint dancing in my head here.  Maybe just straight up glitter from the hobby aisle.

Unfortunately I don’t know how to do that.  I know there are different tips and stuff for the spray guns but i am an amateur, i have painted like 6 cars in the last 23 year 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/19 8:13 a.m.

I can't wait to see this thing in person. 

I would offer to come help on a build day, but ~5 hours each way makes that a bit tricky to pull off. 

AngryCorvair
9/10/19 1:10 p.m.

lace roof or die

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
9/10/19 1:30 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

lace roof or die

as long as there are orange plexi winders to go with it ......

Patrick
9/10/19 2:58 p.m.

I can’t do it to you guys.  I have to show a picture of it painted

Patrick
9/10/19 2:58 p.m.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/19 3:02 p.m.

lulz

AngryCorvair
9/10/19 3:08 p.m.

if that's bronze lower and beige upper, you can just go ahead and have my concours points too.

EDIT:  unless it's actually bronze lower and beige upper.   in that case, you can not have my concours points.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/10/19 3:11 p.m.

That turned out extremely nice. One day I'll make a challenge car. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
9/10/19 3:55 p.m.

looks GREAT

slowbird
slowbird Reader
9/10/19 4:34 p.m.

This car is gonna be awesome.

1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 45

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fgKYaUAsYVdyGhwYc6AxPoz2QPcBtiSi3lVeXT0N9aN9qPO8QqL1AescLTlVUT3r