Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/19 9:32 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

You got this 

+10

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/19 11:44 a.m.

You have a much greater chance than the other Pat of getting done. Now me?  Hell I can't even build a good battery box. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/19 8:39 p.m.

Fuel cell mounting finalized

dash painted and drying

Doing a large floor job so i’m tired and extra sore

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/25/19 9:26 p.m.

I love the black and white photos. 

Patrick
9/26/19 7:29 p.m.

This is a door nubber.  It is installed, as is another one.  

Also done tonight, steering column brackets made, column finish welded, painted, and made a custom extension for the brake pedal pushrod so now the pedal actually acts on the master cylinder.  Back is not good, going to chiropractor before work tomorrow and hope to maybe finish by 4 so i can get a good portion of the “do by Saturday” list done by Saturday.  I would put in more time tonight but i felt that twinge of “if you keep going you’re going to wind up in bed all weekend” in my lower back and stopped.

Patrick
9/27/19 9:15 a.m.

Been thinking a lot, couldn’t sleep 

I’ll make an informed decision this weekend to see if it’s feasible to continue at this pace, or if I should slow down and not be a more and more miserable shiny happy person as things get closer to October 22(our leave ohio day), or shoot for a well sorted car for next year.  Obviously I won’t be able to keep the paint under wraps for a whole year.  Life is too short to be a D.  I don’t like coming home from work and hitting the garage and telling my kids goodnight for a few minutes.  It’s not fun.  I like my family.

The to-do list is huge, and as i proved in 2015 and 2016 it’s not the best idea to show up with something you literally just fired for the first time, and 2017’s 3rd place finish with a well sorted(but hurt) car proves the merit of knowing what you’re working with before you show up to play.  I’m leaning heavily toward a last chance/gastropod entry at this point and have a couple leads.  

This is not a car i want to rush for the challenge, this is a car that’s been in my head for years and it’s so close that I cannot start cutting corners to get to florida.  I want to own this car looooooong term, and don’t want to fall out of love with it because i did some stupid hacky E36 M3 to get to florida.  I want a cover car and a feature article on something i built, that’s certain, but not at the expense of my mental, physical, and family health.  More than the want to be recognized for mu skills, I want to go hang out and play with my friends.  I want to build a golf cart in the parking lot, I want to eat 5 star pizza while putting nitrous on whatever Andy Neuman brings, and damnit I want to do a concours lunch taco bar.  

java230
java230 UltraDork
9/27/19 9:24 a.m.

It does sound like your body is overworked and your mentally tired as well. Don't cut corners. It's going to be so good when it's done. Take your time. If that means a 2020 challenge so be it, you get an extra dollar to work with! 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/19 9:30 a.m.
java230 said:

It does sound like your body is overworked and your mentally tired as well. Don't cut corners. It's going to be so good when it's done. Take your time. If that means a 2020 challenge so be it, you get an extra dollar to work with! 

Technically it's the $2000 challenge now, so no extra dollar, but yes. As much as I want to see this car there, I think taking car of yourself and not rushing the car is the smart move. I'll just have to be sure to come next year so I can see it in action. 

(P.S. I forget is Darth Nader is a challenge build or a fun build. Maybe bring 2 entries next year??? I'm sure we can get someone to help with a second tow rig.)

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/27/19 9:36 a.m.

Good call. Damn good call.

Patrick
9/27/19 9:38 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Do not be surprised if both are there

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
9/27/19 9:39 a.m.

Why not skip the car for this year, but fly down and join someone's team and help -them- compete?  Or be a freelance "I can fix your junk with a mallet" for anyone who needs it? Like, for beer. Or pizza.  Or Favours. You can still be a part of the fun!

But you're right, if the car is breaking you and your family, tarp it. If you win the challenge but lose your family, you did not win anything worthwhile.

I had to put my '61 Apache away for the last week or so of August, because it was taking over all my thoughts, and dragging me away from my wife and kids.  No car should do that to your family.

I support you!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
9/27/19 9:41 a.m.

I understand and sympathize.  I’m way farther down on the skill level and motivation than you are, and I’ve taken cars to the event that were far from ready (or we’re a crappy backup plan), and don’t want to do that again.  I know my challenge car this year is going to be mid pack at best, but that’s all I’m shooting for, so it’s not bad.  If you are trying for a top finish, and it’s killing you to get it done this year, there’s no shame in taking an extra year, if you’re able to keep your interest up in it.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/19 9:47 a.m.
Patrick said:

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Do not be surprised if both are there

Awesome!!! Who knows where I'll be at that point, but if I am able to enable that with my truck and trailer at that point, I would be happy to help. 

Patrick
9/27/19 10:54 a.m.

A last minute backup gastropod will be procured if necessary.  I’m not going without taking a car, and i have to bring back the golf cart anyway so i’ll need the(a?) trailer anyway.  Plus I didn’t spend $ on a badass enclosed trailer to not go to the track with it 

i made myself late for work today on purpose to have breakfast with my family, and I enjoyed it.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/27/19 11:25 a.m.

If you do find yourself with extra time in the next month, there are good uses for it. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
9/27/19 11:31 a.m.
Patrick said:

A last minute backup gastropod will be procured if necessary.  I’m not going without taking a car, and i have to bring back the golf cart anyway so i’ll need the(a?) trailer anyway.  Plus I didn’t spend $ on a badass enclosed trailer to not go to the track with it 

i made myself late for work today on purpose to have breakfast with my family, and I enjoyed it.  

Good to hear about having breakfast with your family.  It’s the small things sometimes.

im more than happy to “let” you trailer my challenge heap to Gainesville if the Wartburg doesn’t make it this year.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
9/27/19 11:59 a.m.
Patrick said:

I want to go hang out and play with my friends.  I want to build a golf cart in the parking lot, I want to eat 5 star pizza while putting nitrous on whatever Andy Neuman brings, and damnit I want to do a concours lunch taco bar.  

Good plan, hope my wife doesn’t kill me when I blow the engine in the mustang. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/27/19 12:49 p.m.

With your back pain, do you have a specific diagnosis?

I've dealt with  my own back pain for many years, and have seen a lot of care providers.  I even did a bunch of mechanical engineering for a company making spinal implants and surgical tools.  So I've sort of learned way more about spinal dysfunction than I'd like.  So I feel your frustration there.

Patrick
9/27/19 1:40 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

If you do find yourself with extra time in the next month, there are good uses for it. 

Colin and my dad built this out of wood a couple weeks ago

Patrick
9/27/19 2:50 p.m.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/27/19 3:06 p.m.
Patrick said:

Yup!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/27/19 3:16 p.m.
Patrick said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Colin and my dad built this out of wood a couple weeks ago

Batman socks kick ass. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/27/19 5:12 p.m.

Can you list the stuff that needs done to make the car functional?

What about just having the car functional without worrying about concourse?  Or not worrying about concourse and 1 of the dynamic events?

I think you would feel better if you had half the workload but still showed up with this car in progress versus a gastropod.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
9/27/19 5:20 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

That ship has sailed. 

I think the gastropod alternative has already been purchased.....

Patrick
9/27/19 5:26 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Can you list the stuff that needs done to make the car functional?

What about just having the car functional without worrying about concourse?  Or not worrying about concourse and 1 of the dynamic events?

I think you would feel better if you had half the workload but still showed up with this car in progress versus a gastropod.

I need this car done right the first time, and i’m already basically throwing the autocross out the window.  

I think i’m going to be very happy with what i’m bringing.  Mr Crawford helped me a ton today, and when he called and told me he was spending my money it felt like a huge weight was lifted off me.  I’m going to go make dinner with my kids

1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 45

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iwOXUgL0yjsGJdlQUVyGGfNDr8z7QHRhYQhKtHSDQxhfkQ6fGA195Ta63IOVJP02