1 2 3 4
logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/17 8:38 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: A stock height shifter instead of whatever ricer "short shift" thing is in there now would help.

I also got one of those

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/15/17 9:43 p.m.

In reply to logdog:

Ha. The wife was actually in Philadelphia today leading her big summer history class trip. Meanwhile, I'm stuck at home playing single dad.

logdog
6/16/17 7:44 a.m.

There isn't anything in Philadelphia but angry people and a broken bell.

Tell her to swing by. I will load her up with parts and take her group to the historic Prompton Dam for a round of disc golf.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/19/17 7:10 p.m.

And now the battery is completely dead again. It was charged after the last time I drove it. I know because I checked the voltage that evening. I don't know what's draining it either.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
6/20/17 6:42 a.m.

It's a track car, right.. Add a battery disconnect switch, use that to keep from killing the battery until you find the power drain. If you need a cheap light battery, lawn tractor battery...

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/20/17 7:05 a.m.

In reply to TED_fiestaHP:

That there is good thinking!

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/20/17 3:32 p.m.

Oh... good... now I've lost the key.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
6/20/17 3:46 p.m.

I bet mine can start it...those old ignitions are so worn out, a butter knife could do it! Say the word and I'll bring mine by

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/23/17 5:58 p.m.

One trip to the dealer and $14 later I now have not one but two new keys! Also I discovered one the interior lights had been turned on and left. I wonder who did that... I'm sure it wasn't the 5 year old who was playing in the car. Battery drain solved, hopefully. I'm still going to plan on a kill switch because track car and safety go together.

Now for the bad news: The leaky oil pan gasket has been joined by a leak (maybe geyser is a better term) from the back of the engine where the oil filter is located. The filter isn't noticeably loose but that's the first suspect since it's coming from that general area. At this point the leak is bad enough that I don't want to drive it. It left a trail of oil drops up the driveway when I backed it in today I ordered some Hondabond that I thought I already had. If that gets here this weekend I can (hopefully) take care of all the leaks.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/23/17 6:22 p.m.

Unless im going crazy, the oil pressure sending unit is also right above the filter. Alot more common for that too suddenly leak then a filter thats been there for however long.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/23/17 6:44 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

Oh yes, that's a good thought, thanks. I should have remembered the sender is back there too but it's been a long day

logdog
6/23/17 9:03 p.m.

Its not unusual to see a leak from where the metal and plastic come together on an oil pressure sensor (not just a Honda thing). Should be like a 22 or 24mm socket.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/24/17 1:07 p.m.

We found the problem. The oil filter is pissing from a pinhole leak. The filter itself looks like it's been attacked with a hammer. I'm guessing someone mashed it with a wrench when they installed it which led to a leak over time.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/25/17 6:39 p.m.

Shortly after discovering the source of the oil leak we (my brother and I) changed the oil and put a new filter on. It was a windy day and we weren't very careful. My wife was not too happy about the state of the driveway but she can't complain too much since now we won't have to share her car

Exhaust is next. I have some flex pipe, a random castoff muffler, and a sawzall. I should be able to make something work, right?

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/26/17 8:52 p.m.

Temporary exhaust hackery:

It's not brilliant and I'm sure it will rust through at the first sniff of road salt but at least now I won't wake up the whole neighborhood when I leave for work.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
7/2/17 12:56 p.m.

Daily driver status: Achieved!

I drove it to work all week, half an hour each way, with no issues. If it had less aggressive tires, ac, and a radio this car would be a good little commuter. The Integra LS drivetrain is nice on the highway.

Also, after driving the Civic all week my wife's 2012 Focus feels massive from behind the wheel.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
7/10/17 4:56 p.m.

Minor update: I scored a cheap set of used snow tires. Altimax Arctics, which I like. Trying to decide which would be better to drive around on for the rest of the summer, winter tires or the extreme summer Falkens. Maybe I'll rallycross it after I get the windshield replaced

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/10/17 5:01 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: Minor update: I scored a cheap set of snow tires. Altimax Arctics, which I like. Trying to decide which would be better to drive around on for the rest of the summer, winter tires or the extreme summer Falkens. Maybe I'll rallycross it before I get the windshield replaced

Ftfy.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
7/23/17 9:43 p.m.

Latest update: Something's not right with the steering column tilt-adjust. It will only lock in the lowest position so this is my view of the gauges.

Helpful.

I haven't done anything about it or addressed any of the other little things that need fixing because I've been working a whole lot and the little extra time I do have at home is spent with these two. The car can wait.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
7/29/17 12:50 p.m.

Car wash day!

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
8/8/17 10:37 a.m.

Last weekend was the weekend of vintage racing at Waterford Hills Raceway, a local club track. My youngest brother and I try to go every year. This year my dad came too. We had a good time enjoying the perfect weather and seeing some cool cars. The parking lot is always full of neat stuff.

The Civic was definitely one of the least shiny cars in attendance.

Touring laps are available the worker lunch break. My brother and dad piled into the passenger seat and back seat Civic and I followed a Mini around the track for 15-20 minutes. That was fun! It's a great little track and I can't wait to do a track day there.

We had to leave early so I could get things ready for my middle brother's bachelor party that night so we missed some good racing but we did get to see some good battles in the Formula V and small bore production run groups. We'll definitely be back next year!

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
8/10/17 9:52 a.m.

In what is possibly the most exciting update yet:

I ordered new windshield wipers today

Also I have a crappy phone video my brother took of a lap around Waterford Hills. It's really only worth watching for the bit where the old Porsche takes off up the hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0H3Sfx8sjg

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
10/26/17 10:45 a.m.

Update: It continues to be a reliable commuter despite previous owners' best efforts cheeky

I never liked the manual steering because it was so heavy and dull but driving Logdog's Civic chumpcar around the paddock at PIRC opened my eyes to how the steering should feel.  My car got new outer tie rod ends last weekend and now it's worlds better: light, fun, and communicative.  I'll probably try to mess with the alignment before snow falls too. If the rest of the car is any indication I'm sure it's not where it should be.

Wrenching is more fun with company wink

I'll also be on the lookout for some better wheels as I'm fed up with those ugly and ill fitting aftermarket 14" rims.  I have snow tires on crusty Miata steelies which almost fit.  I think the center bore is one or two millimeters too small so I may try to "modify" those.

There's also a chance I will pick up a cheap truckster of some sort so the Civic can go back to being a more dedicated track project.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
11/6/17 2:46 p.m.

There's also a chance I might put it up for sale.  At this point it's about as "finished" as it will ever be without making the jump to more serious (aka expensive) upgrades like bigger wheels and tires or adjustable suspension.  I've had some fun with it but I don't think I've ever liked it enough to want to keep it long term.  I bought a cheap minivan for winter commute duties so if I keep the Civic it will likely go into hibernation for the winter while I slowly stockpile parts for the next stage of its evolution.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/6/17 7:53 p.m.

Booo!  Is it some sort of new Michigan trend to abandon projects since I left?  Did Dr Boost influence you?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3fiGMUfmhVRlk0F4wEMkymFum0hlToW230Hcu9a3gWtdiCoG74pA7QXVsss1mZbj