1 2
Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
9/9/13 7:28 a.m.

Sounds like a brake shoe not attached correctly to me.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
9/11/13 11:19 p.m.

So car is pretty much mechanically sorted, no gas gauge yet but I have been venturing further and further from home in it. Gas mileage is up to about 17mpg give or take based on fill ups which is right about where I would expect it to be with the carbs and motor that is in it.

Might take it to work tomorrow which is about 15 miles or so from the house on city streets and a bit on the freeway. Though I am still waiting on seatbelts.

Hve not decided on the chop yet. I would really like to take it down say 4/7 5/8 and slant the pillars but it does nothing for the livability or value of the car and its only original once.

Will be ordering up some beauty rings and some bullet caps for the wheels to remove the hubcaps that are on the car. I also ordered skirts but they have venting in them so they will need to be cut and smoothed out before I put them on the car.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/11/13 11:28 p.m.

I'm torn on the chop.....I love chops on old ratty tin...your car is awfully nice to mess with.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
9/12/13 12:12 p.m.

So drove the car to work.

Parked it in the low emission/hybrid parking just like my Viper, and my 28 Roadster.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/12/13 12:14 p.m.

rebel.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/12/13 12:34 p.m.

You should really uncap the side pipes when you park in spaces like that.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
9/12/13 12:50 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: You should really uncap the side pipes when you park in spaces like that.

A uncapped, ram horned, 312 can be heard for like 3 miles.

My wife says that its loud enough to set building alarms off.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
9/12/13 2:14 p.m.

very cool project

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/12/13 3:04 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: You should really uncap the side pipes when you park in spaces like that.
A uncapped, ram horned, 312 can be heard for like 3 miles. My wife says that its loud enough to set building alarms off.

....and this is WHY you should uncap it!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
9/12/13 4:49 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote:
A uncapped, ram horned, 312 can be heard for like 3 miles. My wife says that its loud enough to set building alarms off.
....and this is WHY you should uncap it!

It will be getting electric/manual cutouts here for the lake pipes in the next couple weeks depending on if I can find a set that I like. The car is a looks like a rolling fix it ticket for the CHP no need to give thema reason to get close to it.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/12/13 4:57 p.m.

Wait, I thought in CA parking a car like that in a space like that would result in something like this?

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/12/13 4:58 p.m.

Makes sense. Dad use to use manual cutouts in his 56 chevy drag car. He'd open them when staged at the lights. As the lights went down the tree, he'd activate the cutout. The change in sound would sometimes startle the other driver and mess up their 60' time.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
9/12/13 5:42 p.m.

I used to use that trick on my 65 Shelby. Or I would have the Nitrous vent though the windshield washer vents in the hood. Just before the launch to make sure the lines were unfrozen. The electric cutouts used to be really cruddy and they would leak a good bit. I used to have to replace them every 12 months or so when the motors went out. Hopefully they have gotten better in the last 15 years or so.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
10/11/13 1:50 p.m.

Car is running really well now, except that I cannot get it to idle below 700 rpm or so. It bucks and is just unhappy. More then likely he isky cam is a little to much and is killing my manifold vacuum with all the carbs that I have on the motor.

Set it at 700 and its happy as a clam though, might take it to the 1/8th mile drags tonight. Also ordered some gears to drop the rpm about 20% on the freeway. 3000 rpm at 65 is killing any mileage the motor could get.

Thinking that I will put it up for sale in a few days, with or without the motor. Would love to but the Y blcok in a 27 gowjob. I have most of the body parts that I need, just a title and frame to get moving on it. Or order a 818R like I keep threatening to do.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hjQ7qYliNS1BO8Kz9hutpiX1Mwkkd0NNLwADb9yLduIosacVbrIiUe00GcSJKkVm