1 2 3 4 5
Ognib
Ognib New Reader
2/7/19 6:52 p.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

Really liking the work on the knuckles so far! this should be an absolute blast, how wide are those wheels?

10's for the back & 8's on the front.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/7/19 7:00 p.m.

Wow, this build is a little bit different and really interesting so far! The fabrication work is looking good; I’ll keep checking back to see how the progress goes!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/7/19 9:44 p.m.

...I just got done telling myself I didn't need a benchtop mill.   This is crazy and I love it, keep it coming!

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
2/8/19 8:43 a.m.
ae86andkp61 said:

Wow, this build is a little bit different and really interesting so far! The fabrication work is looking good; I’ll keep checking back to see how the progress goes!

Thanks for taking a look.  this vid is one of the builds that inspired my project.  Cheaper than building a full sized car but with equal technological challenges.

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
2/8/19 8:46 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

...I just got done telling myself I didn't need a benchtop mill.   This is crazy and I love it, keep it coming!

Thanks.  As long as you're just building smaller pieces a benchtop will expand your capabilities.

BTW, dig your sig line!

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
3/1/19 10:05 a.m.

A lot of 9-5 work right now...not much time for the hobby.

Found an original factory book for my engine.  I've got a lot of experience with hot rod v8's through the years but this is my first bike engine, so need good specs to work with. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/2/19 9:19 p.m.

Cool build!  I'm just east of you in Columbia, MO.  This build reminds me of my days in Engineering School at Mizzou building Formula SAE cars.  

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
3/3/19 2:27 a.m.

I've done a lot of research on the formula sae cars.  They are are a strong influence in my concept for this project.

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
3/3/19 1:28 p.m.

I'm a bit of a cynical old goat & not a whole lot really impresses me anymore, but my gawd this has got my attention!!  Impeccable work & attention to detail.

1/3 scale scratch built v10.

Going in this...

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
3/12/19 3:54 p.m.

Weather's been a little warmer past few days...first day of spring, next week...just about out from under the deluge of 9-5 work that's kept me busy most of the winter...I'm hot to get back on this thing!!

A little bit of the other stuff that I do.

Matched set of carve top, fully chambered solid bodies with floyd rose, etc, etc.  I cut my own fret slots & so on.

Flat top version with Korg Kaos pad onboard.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/12/19 7:55 p.m.

Very cool! Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before today.

1 - I'm also building a motorcycle engined car right now, but starting with a Fiat x1/9 of sorts.

2 - you've read the book "how to build a motorcycle engined race car"? I'd suggest it if you have not. If you'd like to borrow my copy I'll mail it to you.

Good luck, it is looking awesome so far!

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman New Reader
3/12/19 11:46 p.m.

In reply to Ognib :

LOVE the project!
Also love the mini-mill. I really think more DIY guys should have one, PLUS a mini-lathe. They're incredibly handy for fabbing parts that you can't find OTS, or modifying OTS parts.

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
3/14/19 8:35 a.m.
Robbie said:

Very cool! Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before today.

1 - I'm also building a motorcycle engined car right now, but starting with a Fiat x1/9 of sorts.

2 - you've read the book "how to build a motorcycle engined race car"? I'd suggest it if you have not. If you'd like to borrow my copy I'll mail it to you.

Good luck, it is looking awesome so far!

Thanks for the tip on the book & the offer to share.  Will be sure to get a copy...always looking for good information & ideas from those who have already done it.

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
3/14/19 8:38 a.m.
Gingerbeardman said:

In reply to Ognib :

LOVE the project!
Also love the mini-mill. I really think more DIY guys should have one, PLUS a mini-lathe. They're incredibly handy for fabbing parts that you can't find OTS, or modifying OTS parts.

Thanks for taking a look.  Been following your project.

The mill has really expanded my capabilities.  A lathe is on my list of needed equip. to add to the shop.  Want it to be more of a mid sized floor model for working larger pieces.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/14/19 6:11 p.m.

Very cool stuff, indeed!

Go_Gators
Go_Gators GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/15/19 6:04 a.m.

awesome work. look forward to seeing your progress!

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
3/19/19 6:06 p.m.

Thanks for taking a look guys.  Appreciate the comments!

Upgraded my welding equipment.  The lil 110 unit was ok for tacking things together but wanted more UMPH for the final welds.

Been thinking about how to design the adjusters for camber & caster as I look forward to hanging the control arms on the frame.  Want something straight forward & simple & quick to make changes.  Eventually I want to do some top end runs to see what it will do.  Added caster will enhance the straight line stability but quick back to a quicker responding setup for corners.

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
4/12/19 8:46 a.m.

Got the 220 installed for the new welder.  Still have to get a bottle of gas & then I'm back on this project.

In the mean time, I've been following this guy's build...thought I'd share.

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
4/12/19 3:07 p.m.

Hey, do you have an accurate weight for those 10" wide steelies? I'm thinking about getting them in 15x10 for my Miata kart but I'd like to know the weight penalty. 

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
4/13/19 6:36 a.m.
Ognib
Ognib New Reader
4/14/19 11:20 a.m.

Ready to boogie.   I don't use credit for the hobby stuff...been saving my "lunch money" for this rig for about 6 months.  The cart didn't have cradles for the bottle to nestle into so shaped a couple out of 2x4 to keep it from wiggling from side to side.

Next item on the equipment list is a tube bender for roll bar hoops & outrigger tubes on the frame.  going for the JD squared model 3.  Between now & then, I've got a lot of straight tube fitting & welding to do.

Spring is here!  Hope y'all are havin a good day!

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
4/18/19 4:34 p.m.

Got my money work wrapped up early today & excited to try this new welder.

Had to shorten the backing plates to the specs I've established, got everything centered & clamped & a couple of good hot tacks to lock the ball joint bossed in place.

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
4/19/19 10:59 a.m.

Welder came with a spool of .025 which is too light for the high amps I'm using on this heavy material.  Re-fitted with .035 & it's right on, now.

A tack at each end & then a good hot bead down the middle.  cool

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
4/19/19 1:33 p.m.
Ognib
Ognib New Reader
4/20/19 3:19 p.m.

One side ready to hang on the frame.  Get everything leveled out & I have good dimensions on how far up to set the top rail on the frame.

I've opted to go with equal length & parallel  A arms.  As described by Carroll Smith in his book, there are more exotic configurations, but the equal/parallel set up, when in bump or droop, becomes a parallelogram & the camber settings that I  have dialed in on  the car stay consistent throughout the suspensions movement.  I figure since this my first scratch susp build, it would be a good idea to keep it as simple & basic as possible.

In body roll there is some camber change but with bars & springs & very low CG, body roll can be greatly minimalized...just look at how flat the F1 cars corner.

The down side to this set up is that there is some change in track width during movement.  This can be minimized by the use of long links on the a arm tubes, because the arc traveled is flatter.  Long arms were a major requirement during design.

The up side is that the instantaneous center distance is infinite from chassis centerline.  Thus, the roll center is at ground level & stays there.  That is good!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cZnwFYYDcpsNZg4mytQLdxGRewjtgmKnASegtOgNQJbNeSbzduqD8a3tORbAcf3C