1 2 3
Dammit
Dammit New Reader
5/11/18 3:20 p.m.

Here in the UK once the motor is over 300 Watts it’s a moped and needs licence plates, tax, insurance and an MOT. You also need to wear an approved helmet. 

Below that power you are ok with treating it as a bike- however in the  UK the electric assist has to cease at 15 mph. 

Means you get cycle commuters wearing more clothes than you’d expect, who move off sharpish but then run out of steam surprisingly soon, and then cruise along behind you at said 15 mph. 

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
6/23/18 12:25 p.m.

Does the trigger need to be pushed all the time like a trigger?  Or does the motor turn on / off with your pedaling motion?  How’s it holding up?  Looks like a blast!

java230
java230 UltraDork
6/24/18 10:46 a.m.

In reply to 4Msfam :

Yep is a throttle, must be held, and is variable. There are pedal assist options that vary the throttle with pedal input. 

It's holding up well, however I think the rear hub is just about done..... It's getting crunchy. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia New Reader
6/24/18 11:26 a.m.

How are the rims holding up ?

any thoughts on taking a Moped or Scooter and using the wheels and frame etc , at least they are made for 30 MPH plus

And what do you use for a motor controller ?   I have access to some 48V hub motors  with rims , but no motor controller or batteries,

Lastly now much does your bike weigh ? and the battery pack ? 

Thanks for the info

java230
java230 UltraDork
6/24/18 12:23 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Rims are good so far, but I'm careful not to just smash curbs etc. 

Scooter wheels are common with the big hub motors. If I need to rebuild I'll just use DH rims, the advantage of the mid motors is lighter weight. 

I'm using the controller from Taiwan that comes with this one. There are lots of options tho. 

I'm using RC lipos for batteries. Two 4s and one 6s. All 1600mah.

The bike is 42lbs (iirc! It's earlier in the thread I think). 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZyVQb45V63sD3PzDvxnoNNyERzCoAdAhNJtsDFdRk6LKvc2LpESgTdK6k9xeCbcb