1 2 3
rscocca
rscocca New Reader
1/14/14 3:49 p.m.

Last week I finally pulled the trigger on a project I've been wanting to do for a long time. I ordered a Ultima GTR. It will be powered by an LS7 650hp infront of a G50 transaxle. I ordered all the extra goodies, since I'm a believer of do it once do it right. I'll post more as progress happens, right now its a waiting game 13 weeks and counting before it arrives.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/14 3:54 p.m.

Awesome. Give us lots of pics once you get started.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/14/14 5:21 p.m.
rscocca wrote: Last week I finally pulled the trigger on a project I've been wanting to do for a long time. I ordered a Ultima GTR. It will be powered by an LS7 650hp infront of a G50 transaxle. I ordered all the extra goodies, since I'm a believer of do it once do it right. I'll post more as progress happens, right now its a waiting game 13 weeks and counting before it arrives.

Wow! Can't wait to see the progress!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/14/14 6:45 p.m.

I am jelly

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/14/14 6:58 p.m.

Awesome, I attended the Factory Five open house years ago and still remember the Ultima GTR there. Can't wait for the build!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/14/14 10:25 p.m.

Build thread immediately, please.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
1/15/14 4:53 a.m.

I can't believe you're posting this knowing we have to wait 13 weeks for an update. You evil, evil man.
Seriously though, congratulations! That is an awesome kit and should provide much happiness.

onehundredoctane
onehundredoctane New Reader
1/15/14 7:42 a.m.

Can't wait!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/14 7:47 a.m.

One of these with 650 HP?

Sounds boring. (How the $@&$! do I subscribe to this thread?!?!?)

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/14 9:18 a.m.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
1/15/14 9:23 a.m.

I don't know how anyone can NOT love this car. I mean, just look at it.

pinchvalve wrote: One of these with 650 HP? Sounds boring. (How the $@&$! do I subscribe to this thread?!?!?)
pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/15/14 9:49 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Not enough black.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/14 10:21 a.m.

There's another version as well.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
1/15/14 9:52 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: There's another version as well.

I just did something involuntary in my pants.

beans
beans Dork
1/16/14 6:25 a.m.
chknhwk wrote:

Not me. Mine was 100% voluntary.

Also, when ddi they update the design on these? They look a ton better than before.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/16/14 6:57 a.m.

So we have the 818, the Exocet and an improved GTR? Is it like the golden age for kit cars or what? I'll take one of each, please.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/14 6:58 a.m.
beans wrote:
chknhwk wrote:
Not me. Mine was 100% voluntary. Also, when ddi they update the design on these? They look a ton better than before.

IIRC this Ultima has a one-off custom body and is owned by a pro driver.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/14 7:05 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

I'm having a crisis! (I couldn't find a gif unfortunately.)

rscocca
rscocca New Reader
5/9/15 11:58 a.m.

Sorry I did not post build pics as life was just crazy this past year, so here we go. It showed up on a flat bed in two very large crates One containing the car and frame the other containing all the go fast good stuff.

rscocca
rscocca New Reader
5/9/15 12:02 p.m.

Got right into the tear down to get chassis on the stands. first step after cataloging everything is riveting and more riveting and more riveting you get the idea.

rscocca
rscocca New Reader
5/9/15 12:05 p.m.

then with a little help form an overhead hoist you flip the frame and wait for it RIVET again. I think in the first two weeks I must have popped some two thousand rivets, If I see another rivet anytime soon I will scream. I add rub plates to the floor pans to help with some of those speed bump thingies.

rscocca
rscocca New Reader
5/9/15 12:08 p.m.

Flip the frame back right side up and begin assembly of the stuff that makes it start looking like a machine. First up pedals, pretty straight forward. Rack Front Suspension

rscocca
rscocca New Reader
5/9/15 12:10 p.m.

Rear Suspension Rear brakes and parking brake. (These brakes are huge) Front brakes

rscocca
rscocca New Reader
5/9/15 12:15 p.m.

Now the real fun starts, Laying out the Electrical harness and clutch and brake lines. Here is what the Factory wanted but I changed the soft brake lines for Stainless steel ones. Up to this point the build has been progressing quickly, then the preverbal wall hit. The chassis harness. Apparently the factory sent me a harness for a right hand drive car, this is a left drive chassis, so time to start cutting and splicing. Install AC, Yes it has AC

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/9/15 12:16 p.m.

Are the chassis and panels pre-drilled?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q1okuO4vDo4ADEXb5AGbjGFpiGMR7jMbqrmYFyfdONHcjlhQq0gdCjCZER44b44d