1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17
Crackers
Crackers Dork
12/29/17 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Rufledt :

This sounds like an opportunity to learn something. 

I collect all my bled blood and measure it afterwards to see how much blood went into building the car!

Crackers
Crackers Dork
12/29/17 11:59 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I've considered a tent, but I'm not sure it would be an improvement. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/29/17 4:49 p.m.

Does the  HOA have a list of allowed tarp colors? wink

Crackers
Crackers Dork
12/29/17 6:18 p.m.

If you ask me HOA's are un-American. 

Ironically, my neighbor would probably love a giant camo-coloured tent, but I'd rather set my house on fire. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/17 6:32 p.m.

Harbor freight temporary garage?  I grabbed one for $168 and tossed a car and ton of parts in it, and plan to make it a paint booth when done using it for storage 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/29/17 8:38 p.m.

yes HOA's are PITA's.....peeps with no redeemable E36M3.... Ok so camo's out ....how bout an old billboard vinyl heavy thingy like I have two in the back yard....a Ben B watch wuudatoughtit and a  hotdogthingamajig(allbeef) wink

Crackers
Crackers Dork
12/29/17 9:33 p.m.

It's really not a big deal I just don't want to be "that guy". I think I'm probably more concerned about it than my neighbor is. 

Most of the junk is getting hauled off tomorrow anyway. I'll need the space to bring home more junk. 

Maybe I am "that guy"?

Patrick
12/29/17 10:22 p.m.

I’m totally that guy.  I try hard not to be

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
12/30/17 1:06 a.m.

When someone asks "What did that car cost?" you can answer "3 years of free time, $10k, and 8 cups of blood"

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/30/17 9:13 a.m.

Does having a Pu on jackstands, saw horses, and farm implements out in the driveway make me 'that guy' ? 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
12/30/17 5:37 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

That depends. Is it the only one on jack stands? 

How many other non-running vehicles do you have on the property?

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/30/17 8:25 p.m.

yes....unfortunately and the mgb/gt......two lawn tractors and the the welcraftCC.....across SH249 is a whole other story...sad

Crackers
Crackers Dork
12/30/17 8:58 p.m.

You're probably flirting with said designation. LOL

I finally shed that title when I painted the flatbed. 

Now I've just got a rusty trailer, an ugly cargo trailer, and a wagon doing it's best impression of an upside down volcano. 

At least I was able to make it to the dump today so everything isn't spilling out into my yard anymore.

In my mind, as long as I can keep everything contained to the side of the house and back yard I'm good. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/30/17 9:12 p.m.

Yur good bro in my world....would love to you have next door ....I'd be divorced in weeks BWahahahaaaaa

Crackers
Crackers Dork
12/30/17 9:32 p.m.

You live on 249? I think I know the house with the mud truck you're talking about. LOL 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/30/17 10:02 p.m.

Uh oh......the Samurai is even crazier ....

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
12/30/17 10:36 p.m.

since my van made it from my driveway into my garage, i no longer have anything beater-looking outside.  I'm feeling pretty good!  I no longer have the oldest, rustiest, moldiest vehicle sitting around.  I'm still the weirdest person in my neighborhood, but that can't be helped.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/5/18 8:32 p.m.

It's been super cold, so not much got done over the last week or so.

However, as of today I'm only a couple hours away from mocking up the body on the Lexus bits. 

Most of today was spent peeling off the leftover bits of floor with the air hammer. 

It's been 12 years since I got rid of all my air tools for lack of a decent air compressor and I'm realizing how much I missed my hammer and die grinders. 

Anyhow. After that, it was attacking the inner fender wells. Which were not exactly well fitted. 

BirdE36 M3 welds and fitment via spot weld clamp do not a chassis make!

Again, I busted the spot welds with the air hammer. I wanted to pull them complete until I found a row of rosette welds MIG'd to a hidden stiffening panels. 

They were in an awkward spot that would have meant laying on my back to get lined up with a spot weld cutter with the inner well intact, so I took a death wheel to it. 

I'll only need to use the outer half if I use them at all. Worst case scenario I have a welder. 

Side note: I make lots of bad decisions because "I have a welder".

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/5/18 8:52 p.m.

With the fender well out you can see down the sills. 

Eww...

All I have left is to drill out the spot welds on the top of the sill and I can start mocking stuff up. 

And with that, the Lexus comes home next week!

Of course, I'll have a couple days of whittling away at it before I can do the first real mock up. 

Patrick
1/5/18 9:13 p.m.

I give you credit for doing this where you’re doing it while i build the corvair on a level concrete smooth garage floor

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
1/5/18 9:56 p.m.

if you have a welder, there are no truly "bad" ideas.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/5/18 10:11 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Thanks. 

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I don't think I could have tolerated waiting any longer. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/5/18 10:11 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt :

Challenge Accepted. yes

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/6/18 12:11 p.m.

Some days I swear I spent more time looking for tools I've put away properly than I do fishing tools out of a pile. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/6/18 12:37 p.m.

For those of you who don't believe in my commitment to my overkill fabrication suggestions...

I did at least stop before painting it. 

Although honestly, if I had some of that wrinkle paint...

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OsfLYtZzz8E6nUHtVw5GHkIXOnweOM1sov3IR4NQErXPK6YdtcQ3tlgCq46TgWbV