1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 115
759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
6/14/17 8:44 p.m.

This can of one wire worms was always a misunderstood topic on my end....thanks y'all for spilling them out on the 'back' patio....

petey
petey New Reader
6/14/17 10:33 p.m.

that's a 100 amp single wire drop in.it doesn't have a sense wire,its internal.self exciting they call it,much like a lot of us eh wot?

and you can add a voltmeter off the output line (to the relay),I personally find ammeters useless,i just wanna see the 14.5 on the gauge and we're good.100 amps is plenty on this puppy as fitechs seem to want a good healthy bump of electrons,and with AC and a dance floor with disco ball and beer fridge out back a 60 amp wouldn't cut it

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/15/17 4:14 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Crackers wrote: It appears I opened a can of worms. LOL
That is the fun of this.

It's been very informative can to me. I always thought GM alternators were all "one-wire" but never quite understood why the additional plug was there. Using a somewhat aftermarket-specific alternator seems to go against the overall build concept of using readily available parts, but I've scratched my head over a lot of this build, so this is just a drop in the bucket.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/15/17 11:08 a.m.
Ian said: I've scratched my head over a lot of this build, so this is just a drop in the bucket.

But you have to admit it has been kinda fun... no?

What you need to keep in mind is that the Beer Budget for this project might exceed the actual project budget, so not all decisions are going to be the "Best".

Not a huge fan of analysis-paralysis figuring that if you can keep the project moving you have a better chance of getting it done. Can always go back and refocus if something is not perfect.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/15/17 12:31 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: But you have to admit it has been kinda fun... no?

Oh absolutely - and very informative - if only to confirm this is definitely not the route I want to take with my own ES, since I had considered it before you started.

What you need to keep in mind is that the Beer Budget for this project might exceed the actual project budget, so not all decisions are going to be the "Best".

Well, that is part of what makes me scratch my head - there have been a few places where it seems like you're reaching over a dollar to pick up a dime. The alternator being one of them. Going with a one-wire type you had to buy from the states vs. an standard GM unit you could have bought from your local FLAPS. And for no real benefit in simplicity.

Not a huge fan of analysis-paralysis figuring that if you can keep the project moving you have a better chance of getting it done. Can always go back and refocus if something is not perfect.

As someone who tends to over-analyze to the extreme, I can't argue with you there.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
6/15/17 2:18 p.m.

Its probably explained in the link earlier, but IIRC any of the GM 3 wire alternators can be jumped from the wire on the back to one of the terminals in the plug and basically do the same thing. It's not technically the right way to do it, but it will work in a pinch.

I know we had a car run a whole season that way (maybe longer?) until one of the bearings started taking to us and we had it rebuilt as a proper one wire 60a unit by a local shop for like $30.

petey
petey New Reader
6/16/17 12:12 a.m.

you can take ANY old GM alternator and use it.just need a jumper from terminal 2 to the hot output and BAM its a standalone with no external exciter.but theyre typically only 68 amps,this 100 amp came ready to rock,internal rewire done already.its simple,and very effective,and I use them on everything for this reason.and this fact is sadly true--I can cross an international border,pay a 27% markup (via exchange rate),then pay 13% tax IN MY COUNTRY FOR E36 M3 NOT BOUGHT HERE and its still cheaper for the same product I could just get here at the local shop.sad.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/17/17 8:54 a.m.

More parts on board...

Fan looks like E36 M3, but at this point "bolted on" is more important than bling.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
6/17/17 10:35 a.m.

Hey, Wait a minute.....what's that I spy ?!?!???? A Volvo dog house with SBF sitting inside?!!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/17/17 10:56 a.m.

Hpw many days left?

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/17/17 11:35 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Hpw many days left?

not enough

June 21 technically, but SWMBO has loaded us up with social functions for the next three days. Still gonna try.

Throttle linkage, TV cable and shifter linkage are the big items left on the list.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
6/17/17 12:33 p.m.

Fan shroud? My alternator size concerns are somewhat mitigated by the lack of electric cooling fans.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/17/17 1:53 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: Hpw many days left?
not enough June 21 technically, but SWMBO has loaded us up with social functions for the next three days. Still gonna try. Throttle linkage, TV cable and shifter linkage are the big items left on the list.

That's not fair. Should buy you an extra day because of that

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/17/17 2:12 p.m.

Have you heard it run yet?

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/17/17 6:26 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Have you heard it run yet?

Not yet. Got the ignition and fuel pump wired. Need to run the battery cables.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/21/17 9:56 a.m.

.....0 days left

I might have been able to get it running yesterday before midnight, but it was our 25th anniversary on the 20th, and I have a feeling that the $1000 loss is the better option

So rather than buy her own wheels and tires from her fun account, Momma gets a paid vacation from my car fund. With the car kitty out of money for the summer, I also get to take a break and go fishing. Probably not a bad thing.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
6/21/17 11:15 a.m.

I never do my best work when short on time. Take a break and come back at it fresh without the time crunch. The car will be better for it, and you'll have less to redo later. I think you have done amazing work and look forward to seeing this project when it's finished.

coexist
coexist New Reader
6/21/17 11:18 a.m.

Lose a battle and win the war.

In contrast, I spent some time thinking about how I should get busy on my projects...

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
6/21/17 11:21 a.m.

In this case, better slow and sure than rushed and berkeleyed....pics of the walleye/muskies please....enjoy

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/21/17 11:52 a.m.
759NRNG wrote: In this case, better slow and sure than rushed and berkeleyed....pics of the walleye/muskies please....enjoy

Have to settle for perch and bass! Bass opener this week-end but I will be squiring my wife on her victory get-away so I will miss that also!

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
6/21/17 12:29 p.m.

Someone has a great grasp on proper prioritization.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
6/22/17 7:35 a.m.

I keep lurking here, but I gotta say, love this. All those naysayers say a SBF is tight in an old Volvo- I knew they were wrong, and one day I plan to 302-swap an Amazon, too. I knew with that stupid heater box gone from the firewall it would be all right. Your front suspension definitely frees up a lot of lateral room, too. Nice work.

volvoclearinghouse
6/22/17 7:41 a.m.

By the way, per the alternator discussion- I tried a one-wire setup before and was never really satisfied with it. The Internets will show you how to hook up the 3 wire on the Delco alternator, and really, it's about as complicated as wiring in a light bulb. (On the plus side, it also gives you an "Alternator bad" warning lamp for your dash). 3 wires charge better, and excite more readily.

Also, the newer Ford Alternators (2G and 3G) such as used on the Taurus are pretty simple to wire up (similar to the Delco 3 wire), and internally regulated. IIRC the bolt pattern on the mounting works perfectly on a 302 or even a big block 460.

EDIT: Here's the 3 wire hookup. Dead simple. "Charge Light" just needs to be a simple, small, dash-type incandecent 12V bulb.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
6/22/17 7:42 a.m.

Sorry to hear you lost the bet, but you're a good man for losing graciously.

I've said it before but I really appreciate that most of you GRM types don't seem to hate the wife, and will even put car stuff on hold to hang with her. As a soon-to-be-newlywed this is a much more positive mindset than the typical "my berkeleying wife" (although I know everyone gets there at some point).

volvoclearinghouse
6/22/17 7:49 a.m.
Gunchsta wrote: Sorry to hear you lost the bet, but you're a good man for losing graciously. I've said it before but I really appreciate that most of you GRM types don't seem to hate the wife, and will even put car stuff on hold to hang with her. As a soon-to-be-newlywed this is a much more positive mindset than the typical "my berkeleying wife" (although I know everyone gets there at some point).

I've run into a lot of car guys (not on here, but in the real world) who are either a) Divorced, or b) completely gave up on cars after they had a family. I think its possible to walk the line between these two extremes, provided you a) marry a woman who understands and supports your hobby, and b) learn the Art of Compromise.

I've become a bit more attuned to Mrs. VCH's needs and the juggling of running a house and raising a toddler and an infant. Last night I came in from the garage at the exact moment my phone blipped a text message from her "When do you think you'll be coming in?" She laughed as the phone dinged when I walked in the door.

1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 115

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ncd21FV8KrYURkLgKkBPmvwebqtfbD0QYn9GlmX06kNrFQsqTc5dexunZRRsNwWY