1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 ... 115
Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
6/22/17 8:29 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

Absolutely it is. It's just refreshing to see people who don't act burdened by marriage.

Besides, sometimes taking a break from a project can make all the difference in the world. I suspect when NOHOME is back at it he'll have all kinds of new ideas and solutions... you know, to bring the thread back on track a bit. :)

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/22/17 11:46 a.m.

Coincidentally, I lost the bet on the stroke of Midnight of our 25th anniversary. By NOT working on the car that day, I improved the odds of there being another 25 years of marriage to the same woman.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
6/22/17 11:56 a.m.

You still had to get an anniversary gift right?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/22/17 11:58 a.m.

You mean a non-running car taking up garage space isn't enough of a gift?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/22/17 12:01 p.m.
759NRNG wrote: You still had to get an anniversary gift right?

We have a long standing agreement that works for us. All year long we are good to each-other, and on the Hallmark Holydays, we don't worry too much about stuff.

By the way, if anyone wants to know how close it came to moving:

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/22/17 12:09 p.m.

I'd have had a hard time not getting those crossed off the list to win the bet.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/22/17 2:14 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I'd have had a hard time not getting those crossed off the list to win the bet.

You would think so eh?.....The killer was the rad hoses. The conclusion is that the rad is a mistake from the manufacturer. The lower rad inlet is 1.5" and the upper is 1.75". I think it should be reversed since the engine side of the hose was the opposite of the radiator dimensions. The consequence is that there were no hoses known to mankind that would work.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
6/22/17 4:11 p.m.

It is the opposite - the larger hose on the bottom/driver's side to connect to the inlet of the water pump.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
6/22/17 5:36 p.m.

Awww. Inch and a half radiator hoses. How cute. ;-).

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/23/17 6:04 a.m.

They just put the cap on the wrong end of the rad. You can fix it.

Congrats on the Anniversary. Your "rule" about Hallmark holidays sounds just right.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/23/17 8:16 a.m.

While celebrating my defeat over a glass of wine, the following line of thought came about:

The original plan called for driving the car up to the sidewalk, back it into the shop and pull it apart for body and paint over the next year.

Question put forth was "Why not just put a windshield in the thing and put some miles on it first; maybe see what rubs or falls off. Trailer to Grand bend and run the track in order to sort the suspension ect...Who knows, SWMBO might hate it and put it up for sale saving me a year of my life!

My only objection is that I hate putting glass in, and this would entail doing it twice. The rear window rubbers are un-obtanium and I only have the one set.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/23/17 8:20 a.m.

Do the jambs before windows. Then follow through with the plan.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
6/23/17 8:51 a.m.

Goggles.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
6/23/17 9:26 a.m.

I have sneaking suspicion that you'll never get behind the wheel after it's sorted out.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 9:33 a.m.

I don't like that plan, but I've never painted before.

I think that the accumulated road debris and junk will be very hard to clean off of unpainted panels to make them paintable. Plus, you may cause things to rust before you get the chance to stop it.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
6/23/17 9:38 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I don't like that plan, but I've never painted before. I think that the accumulated road debris and junk will be very hard to clean off of unpainted panels to make them paintable. Plus, you may cause things to rust before you get the chance to stop it.

For once, I agree with Tuna. Paint the bugger, then drive the wheels off of it.

In the interim, go buy a slightly ratty old Volvo Amazon to bang around in and satisfy that craving.

Also resist the temptation to pursue perfection in paint. There's no such thing as "done" in Bodyworkland; it's simply "Good enough" or "I'm tired of this E36 M3". Sand, fill, prime, paint, sand, wet sand, wash- drive.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/23/17 9:43 a.m.

+2. Unless you are also going to pay the shop the $$$$ to make the bodywork near-on perfect, spending the extra coin to have them paint it might not be worth it.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/23/17 3:19 p.m.

I do my own bodywork. Have not decided on the paint yet. Car is in epoxy primer now.

simon_C
simon_C New Reader
6/24/17 7:51 p.m.

Definitely Mariner Blue.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/27/17 7:58 a.m.

Bit the bullet...New radiator with the proper inlet and outlet size should be headed to Port Huron as we type.

LOKAR filler tube for the AOD installed. Gonna take some time to pour 12 quarts of fluid down this thing

Found a better AC compressor under one one the Minions benches; leftover from a Coyote swap he did and it looks brand new. About half the weight and size of the mystery one frm E-bay and the Miata AC lines bolt on to it

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
6/27/17 7:16 p.m.

Those newer little ones are often variable displacement units -- if so, can your system use/control one like that?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/27/17 7:45 p.m.
MichaelYount wrote: Those newer little ones are often variable displacement units -- if so, can your system use/control one like that?

No flipping idea. Have to learn about that.

coexist
coexist New Reader
6/27/17 10:46 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
MichaelYount wrote: Those newer little ones are often variable displacement units -- if so, can your system use/control one like that?
No flipping idea. Have to learn about that.

Plenty of time for learning now :)

Anxious to see the results...

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/4/17 9:46 a.m.

Lets see...

New rad is in and it solves the hose issue. Now I just need to fab up new mounting scheme since it is not the same as the other one!

In other news, the bet is lost, its summer-time and there are better places to spend time than the shop. Time to go fishing. Hope y'alls fourth of July is as nice as my Canada day week-end.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
7/4/17 10:47 a.m.

Please get rid of the water pump driven fan.

1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 ... 115

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1SFJeTgLGYzUjBxp0Fhf5ohvevRVuaFOmMh2YpfkN54ibs2FJGsIAoen3gOAy58Y