1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 ... 77
NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/15/17 6:36 p.m.

I was kinda hoping that the sucky was because of the motor more than anything else.

getting the miata pivots in place would not be trivial and the stubs are shorter than the bezels that sit on the cowl.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/15/17 6:40 p.m.

Try the linkage rod and miata arm to volvo piece . Just something temporary for proof of concept. 

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
11/15/17 9:05 p.m.

I think the real challenge will be getting them to play nice with each other and still have the appropriate sweep length and park position. 

The bell crank length and clocking has to be pretty well bang on. Second to that, to run a link, I think the motors location will have to be determined by first finding the appropriate intersecting angle for the link to actuate the wiper mechanism without going over center and/or getting the arms stalled with the linkage in too linear of an arrangement for the motor to push the linkage one direction or the other. 

I hope I'm describing that correctly. 

In short, if it doesn't work right off the bat, you might be best off to consider making all the linkage from scratch.

Even so you might have to modify the bell crank on the motor as well as the levers that actuate the arms themselves. 

I may have put some serious consideration into this matter knowing that it will be a "less than insubstantial" issue for me too. That, and I'm also in love with my problems. LOL

On edit: I'm pretty sure "bell crank" isn't the correct terminology, it's just a basic lever afaik. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/16/17 6:40 a.m.

Cackers:

Pretty much all that. The parking might be the  hardest part if it does not fall into place.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/16/17 8:09 a.m.

Agreed.  The whole system will likely go through a few iterations before you get the leverages and positioning right.

Thinking about it more, you will definitely need to come up with a way to brace the Volvo linkage to make up for the missing motor - I doubt that linkage will function correctly (or for long) hanging out in space like that. The brace will likely need to duplicate the rotating motion of the motor as well to keep the shaft rotations correctly aligned.  Then figure out where you can mount the Miata motor with a link and then work out the leverage needed to duplicate the Volvo motor.

Of course, one downside to all of this is the more complicated it gets, the more room it takes up that is needed for defrost ducting.

stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
11/16/17 8:57 a.m.

Park position is less of a problem than sweep range. The wiper posts are splined to allow you to set the blades where you want when parked. The challenges will be the radius on the drive motor to get the correct sweep range and mounting the motor and wiper drive pick-up stiffly enough to be consistent/not fail quickly. The drive link from the motor arm to the wiper drive pickup can be a very complex shape, but is still just a simple tension compression rod in schematic form.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/16/17 9:13 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Try the linkage rod and miata arm to volvo piece . Just something temporary for proof of concept. 

Kinda the plan as it sits.

Worse case scenario I am getting a servo motor for each wiper box and programing them for sweep and synch. But that is almost too easy.

HVAC venting might require some creative use of a 3D printer to create sections that can be glued together.

What I really need is to find some motivation. Full of ambition around 5 pm but by the time I get home in the dark at 7 I am drawn to the couch rather than make the 20 step trek to the garage. Compounding it all is an impending early retirement that creates its own set of realities that eats up mental bandwidth and sleep.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/16/17 12:26 p.m.
NOHOME said:
What I really need is to find some motivation. Full of ambition around 5 pm but by the time I get home in the dark at 7 I am drawn to the couch rather than make the 20 step trek to the garage. Compounding it all is an impending early retirement that creates its own set of realities that eats up mental bandwidth and sleep.

If you can find a solution to that dilemma, you won't have to worry about retirement... but please let us in on it first before you patent your invention. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/16/17 12:39 p.m.

I don't cruise around here often enough - there's BAD info in here about suspension.

Adjustable length body shocks are not preferable to the correct fixed length body, and "adjusting preload" is not a bad thing. Set your shocks so that you get maximum compression travel, which on most adjustable length body shocks means as short as possible. Then set the ride height with spring length and perch location - which will have the side effect of changing the preload at full droop, but unless you have things all kinds of jacked up that will make no difference at all dynamically. This sort of paragraph will make people who haven't figured out the geometry have some sort of stroke, and this includes people who sell them.

The problem with the adjustable length bodies is that you have less shaft travel due to the shorter length of the shock insert. A properly-specified fixed length shock will get you maximum compression travel AND more droop travel due to the longer shaft that can be packaged inside.

The advantage to adjustable length body shocks is that you can make them out of a generic shock cartridge with an adapter screwed on the end, so they are value-conscious. Also, the marketing behind them is strong, turning a bug into a feature.

TLDR: Get a properly engineered set of single-piece shocks. V-Maxx are properly engineered.

-------

To answer a direct question which is ALWAYS best asked via email instead on page 67 of a thread: the V-Maxx use a 60mm spring. You can use 2.25" on them. The XXtreme setup can't handle much more spring than the Track Pack rates.

-------

Wipers: Don't make it hard. Lucas solved this decades ago. It's a very flexible and adaptable system. Put the Volvo arms and blades on them and they should work pretty well.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/16/17 2:12 p.m.

Keith:  pm sent re suspension.

As to wipers, have a full Lucas system sitting on the shelf and yes they can be adapted. Not my first choice based on experience with MGBs.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/16/17 2:43 p.m.

I wonder how much of the MGB problems are either gummy grease in the tubes or just ineffective arms/blades. On my GT, it's mostly the latter.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/20/17 5:49 p.m.

Moving right along in my usual non-linear fashion:

Since the biggest obstacle to using the Volvo wiper mechanism in-toto was that there was no room for the wiper motor, I searched and found this device at the local Canadian Tire store

Figured that I could drive the original Volvo stuff  with the motor offset to the passenger side of the car. It coulda worked, maybe. But somehow, it did not satisfy some inner itch.

So, with a bit of effort, I took the Volvo spindles apart. The splined wiper pedestal is a press fit on a 5/16" shaft

With a little bit of berkeleyery  we have the levers from the Miata pivots tacked on to some 5/16" steel rod stock that was laying around and looking like a hybrid wiper pivot.

Repeate for the other side, install in the Volvo pivot housing and shorten the Miata connector link

All in place and clears everything it needs to clear.

Lucky me ( that don't happen near often enough) the wiper motor will clock to a different position. Else it was going to want to coexist with a serious chunk of Volvo structure.

I am tantalizingly close to having this work. However, getting the link from the wiper arm to the PS link is going to require some surgery. Some complicated surgery on places that I cant easily get to....

Seems I did not cut enough Volvo cowl out of the way to clear the link and there is a Volvo obstacle inside the cowl. Going to have to do some key-hole surgery to fix this. After that I need to make sure that this can be serviced without having to dismantle the entire dash.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
11/20/17 6:37 p.m.

I find this way more entertaining than a  Nick B cardboard HVAC exercise (with tea)................

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/20/17 7:21 p.m.

I find this way more entertaining than a  Nick B cardboard HVAC exercise (with tea)................

Thank you very much. Flattery will get you a drive should you show up chez Pierre.

Just had a moment of panic as I finished typing the above post about the wiper design.

On my MGB the wipers park in front of the driver. On the Miata they park in front of the passenger.  In front of the driver would have been a problem unless I reversed the Miata wiper motor.

And then it occurred to me...what do the Brits do?

The left to right sweep looks like it might be better for the driver rather than the right to left stock Volvo sweep.  Good to know there are options if need be.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
11/21/17 11:00 a.m.

FYI...I just dragged home an ES parts car yesterday.  It's rusty, but pretty complete.  So, if you need anything...  devil

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/21/17 11:42 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

FYI...I just dragged home an ES parts car yesterday.  It's rusty, but pretty complete.  So, if you need anything...  devil

Oh really?  :-)

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/21/17 2:32 p.m.

The one thing that I keep thinking I should buy a spare of is the rear hatch glass.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
11/21/17 6:04 p.m.
NOHOME said:

The one thing that I keep thinking I should buy a spare of is the rear hatch glass.

Especially now that you've said it out loud..

volvoclearinghouse
11/22/17 6:12 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Its got one.  Nice one.  Latch and hinges and everything.  ;-)

volvoclearinghouse
11/22/17 6:14 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

Really:

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy Reader
11/22/17 6:47 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Station wagon as tow pig.  Good man.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/22/17 6:53 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

I want you as a neighbor. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/22/17 7:00 a.m.

She might be a tad rusty! 

What was the plan when you bought it?

On another front, the wipers are kicking my ass. Working on plan Z since the last post.  

volvoclearinghouse
11/22/17 7:16 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

The feeling is mutual.  

volvoclearinghouse
11/22/17 7:21 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

"What was the plan when you bought it?"

Parts car.  It has a clean title, but the rust monster really took hold of it.  Last time it was registered was my Senior year in High School.  B20 turns freely, which means it'll fire right up.  ;-)  Interior soft bits are pretty well whipped, but it's complete.  

The main reason i bought it is somewhat a story...earlier this year I traded a guy a bunch of 1800S parts for a rolling shell of an 1800ES (that was the same color as this one, actually).  A few weeks later, a guy texted me on a craigslist ad I had for old Volvo parts looking for a front clip for his 1800ES.  The neat thing, is, his ES was...a tube-frame drag car.  So, I sold him the roller ES I had.  Now, he needs a bunch of trim and stuff to put his car together, so I picked this car up to get him the rest of the stuff he needs.  And I'll keep/ part the rest.  

1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 ... 77
Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
OLxw70Tx9MaiPekdKI5pY7HMjQb71C15