1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 ... 115
NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/14/18 9:18 a.m.
MichaelYount said:

Yellow and blue.  Apropos.

Why yes, you are correct it is appropriate. Don't forget to massage liberally before spreading.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
5/14/18 5:45 p.m.

Thankfully, rigidity occurs shortly after that liberal massage and spreading.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/16/18 6:45 a.m.

Donor door skin harvested and ready to put on the PS door frame.  ( after I remove the skin that is on there that I already removed and re-installed once already after trying to fix a severe warp) This door has been quite the adventure, I will be happy and relieved when the adventure ends and the door is back on the car.

Pete

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/18 6:32 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Is there a reason why you just didn't use the whole donor door?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/18/18 10:09 p.m.

In reply to mblommel :

Funny you should ask.

The panels were sent my way by a fellow board member, fgkouki, who is turning his P1800 into a Ferrari clone. He has a build thread on this forum somewhere, but since I have no luck with the search feature, I cant find it.

Anyways, he was cutting the skins off so that he could extend the depth of this doorframes , so the Volvo bits were surplus to requirements. He managed to lice them off still crimped to the edges of the door-frame and I unpicked the hem from there. Getting good at it actually.

And here is how far I made it tonight. The door is in the hole. None of the hinge bolts has been tightened or adjusted, just sitting there.  Going to take a bit of wiggling to get it to fit the way I want. But I will and am happy with the initial fit. So nice to not have a giant hole in the side of the car.

Pete

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/18/18 10:20 p.m.

This is the P1800 -> Ferrari thread

Linky

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/18/18 10:27 p.m.

In reply to CJ :

Thanks for the link. Nice to know there are people further out on the limb than myself!

Pete

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/18/18 10:29 p.m.

You ain't out on a limb. You built the whole berkeleying TREE!!!!!!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/19/18 6:50 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Has anyone else noticed that the level of audacity in the build threads has gone way up over the last year or two? 

Pete

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/18 9:05 a.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Has anyone else noticed that the level of audacity in the build threads has gone way up over the last year or two? 

Pete

Absolutely.  And the level of detail you guys are providing in your build threads makes the idea of unibody swaps, stretches, etc, seem less and less insane every time.  I haven't decided yet whether I should thank you or curse you for that.  ;-)

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/19/18 10:10 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Go with "Curse". 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/19/18 10:27 a.m.

Agreed Pete. The build thread section is why my projects snowball as well.

But i ain't got to your level of snowball yet.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/19/18 10:38 a.m.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/18 11:12 a.m.

Definitely cursed with great build threads. You both are some of the worst offenders too! Just when I think I'm doing something crazy I see your build threads updated and it makes crazy the new baseline.

I love this place.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/18 11:17 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

GRM:  Where crazy is the baseline.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
5/19/18 12:35 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

We're all a bunch of baseheads! laugh

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/18 3:37 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to mblommel :

Funny you should ask.

The panels were sent my way by a fellow board member, fgkouki, who is turning his P1800 into a Ferrari clone.....

Anyways, he was cutting the skins off so that he could extend the depth of this doorframes , so the Volvo bits were surplus to requirements. He managed to lice them off still crimped to the edges of the door-frame and I unpicked the hem from there. Getting good at it actually.

Makes total sense. I remember that thread. Your project is amazing BTW. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
5/19/18 6:18 p.m.

When I first entered this realm I found way too many 'answer' builds for my liking (no offense cousin eddy), but then there was this and machinebleau .......crackers.....patgizz....DB13...who'd I leave out??? and I thought.....self this speaks to me. The determination, execution, dedication on all of this is what makes loggin' a surprise everytime......thanks y'all 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/21/18 6:30 p.m.

Last piece of welding that I expect to be doing on the body before paint.  The bottom few inches of the rear apron were kinda lacy. I bought a repair panel but to be honest, it might have been easier to make my own.  I have this panel to make smooth and the door to be gapped and smoothed and then I am ready for black epoxy primer.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
5/22/18 4:51 p.m.

Remind me/us -- where did you end up on the rest of the exhaust/muffler design?

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
5/22/18 4:51 p.m.

Remind me/us -- where did you end up on the rest of the exhaust/muffler design?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/22/18 5:40 p.m.

In reply to MichaelYount :

I had the mufflers partly under the fuel tank, with heat shields welded on the flowmasters

Truth is I am not happy with a  lot of the exhaust layout and it will probably be getting a revision sooner rather than later.

Not that happy with the cross-over design either, something nags at my eye as "not quite right"

As much as I like what the cats do, they could fall by the wayside during the repackage of the exhaust. 

I might replace the cross-0ver with this kind of a muffler and then just run some cherry bomb style glasspacks out the rear

Or I COULD  replace the cats with a dual in/dual out CAT. The trade-off being that 2" is the largest pipe size and I have 2.25 on there now.

I could also A dual in cat and single out to a muffler and a cherry-bomb out the back as a single rather than dual exhaust.

Pete

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
5/22/18 6:38 p.m.

The cats would be more effective if they were closer to the manifold in any event (heat related).  Do you have any transverse room at the back?  The old Boss 302/429 muffler is a compact design with 2 ins/2 outs and was turned sort of up on its end transversely behind the rear axle in those 69/70 models.  I ran one on mine for a while.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Exhaust/Mufflers-Hardware/Mufflers/Transverse-Muffler-2-Inlet-Outlet-1967-1970-Mustang.axd

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/22/18 7:51 p.m.

In reply to MichaelYount :

If I wanted to give up the cats, that would fit in the space taken up by the cats and the crossover. Then a couple of cherry bombs out the back and we could be good to go.

The cats ARE a bit far back, but they do light off based on the temps from a heat gun and the burned lawn from when I ran it for half an hour on the grass.

I despair at times when I look at the list with over 250 items to do or re-do. So for now I am trying to just concentrate on the bodywork until it is done; that is still a huge mountain to scale form where I am at. The exhaust can percolate in the back of my mind till its turn comes around.

Pete

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
5/22/18 8:31 p.m.

Don't think you can use the muffler I linked the way you described -- the in and out is on the same side; designed for transverse mounting.  But - just thinking out loud....   The reason I asked about exhaust was because it appears some decision has to be arrived at depending on how you exit tailpipes through that valance.  Definitely going to one side only it appears?....

1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 ... 115

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S7B6hmxKfTCmvAj5Gr6BCi4RdVU0DCCtGZA4mj8JDd0dNhmEinnZnxN7eeihExKn