FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
4/14/13 10:38 p.m.

My brother bought this POS 95 Olds Ciera from a friend for a few hundred dollars. It has 120k on it but has been well abused. It has also been hit a time or two. My brother has a pickup for work and a 68 Impala. Also a Camry.

We cooked up this scheme Saturday night while changing the Olds water pump. The plan is to gut the rear interior weld in a rollbar behind the front seats then cut the rear pillars and essentially hammer the roof to the floor. Cut out a hole and make a moon window.

Weld up the tops of the doors and cut all the way to the back including the top of the trunk lid. He wants a chain tailgate like the 50's pickups. He wanted a wooden bed for the floor but I am leaning really hard to sheet steel with a chopped up bed liner that's then fiberglassed in.

He wants leaf springs (which I have in bulk) but I'm thinking coil spacers or air shocks would be easiest.

Hope to get all this underway and pretty much roughshod on the road in a couple weekends work. It should be hideous confusing and epic. I've always wanted a rampage so this should be great. Plus I don't have to drive it and I honestly believe it will raise the retail value.

I will be posting photos and documenting the build... Or anti build. We are open to suggestions but it will be a total hack job other than me getting creative with welder and body glass. I won't be doing lead bodywork like usual as this turd pile won't last long with or without lead.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
4/15/13 2:08 a.m.

I personally can't wait to see this. My dad always told stories about the first car given to him , a 40 something ford I think, that him and his brothers cut a pickup bed into to haul firewood. He was like 13 so I'm sure that was hideous, lol. We need pics soon

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
4/15/13 8:33 a.m.

"It should be hideous confusing and epic" needs to be in the magazine. Or on a T-shirt.

eastpark
eastpark Reader
4/15/13 8:47 a.m.

Beer - Is there anything it can't do? I'm looking forward to seeing updates...

cdowd
cdowd Reader
4/15/13 10:54 a.m.

This is a GRM recycling I love it.

Chris

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
4/15/13 10:59 a.m.

Of course you are.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
4/15/13 12:02 p.m.

Thanks for the support guys. I got my car off my trailer and bed off my Ford out of the garage so we will have a dedicated bay.

He's excited. Not being a car guy I'm glad to see it. Ill try to get photos up by end of week. There's just nothing to see other than a clean garage a welder 20 cutting wheels I just bought and one poop brown OLDS CIERA.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
4/15/13 1:17 p.m.

I needs to see this and make it a show topic if you wouldn't minds.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/15/13 1:21 p.m.

Was this thought of while holding a beer?

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
4/15/13 1:30 p.m.

I don't have any rights to it if you want to use it. Ha but I'm hoping it will start a trend.

Alcohol was not involved but it probably should be. I have this feeling I'm going to take it way too serious and end up with too many man hrs in body sculpting.

I'm going to Pivco Sat for gracious amounts of fiberglass, and paint. I really want the bed waterproof for a jacuzzi photo joke.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
4/15/13 2:55 p.m.

For the bed, could you just weld an angle-iron frame to "some things" and bolt a few Chep pallets on top?

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
4/15/13 3:04 p.m.

Okay, riddle me this: Could you cut the roof at the leading edge of the rear door, cut again at the leading edge of the rear window, and mate the rear window section to the front seats? Then, you could cut a horizontal line in the trunk lid just behind the rear glass, where you could fashion the front bulkhead of the bead.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
4/29/13 1:02 p.m.

Well he just asked me to do some work on it.

This weekend I deleted the CAT welded on a spacer for the O2 which surprisingly worked (I've never done that before, nor had to before)

Also fuel filter spark plugs and wires.

Thing runs great. We drove it out for dinner and got a phone call. Apparently he offered the car to a friend a long time ago for 750 if his Dodge Spirit ever broke down. The spirit is now a ghost...

I would have left it running like crap if I'd known I wouldn't be romping it through the woods with the fenders removed and mud grips up front.

If he can't come up with the money by next week I'm buying it and doing the conversion myself.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/13 12:38 p.m.

Are you working from a wagon or sedan?

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
4/30/13 3:48 p.m.

Sedan. A wagon would be perfect however. I'm driving the car to work all week with my fingers crossed he doesn't sell it. I'm getting attached.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P4a3YACpMyM7wY5QufDUwVvRI7q3V4pR7b22EPlGxhDxwJkO2FmyEm2nrIqb45rn