1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/26/20 10:40 a.m.

Digging on those seats man. That color wiht the silver will look great.

I may be biased - I love my Silver S197 with the bordello red seats. But the darker red looks classier for a "vintage" Porsche.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
8/26/20 3:00 p.m.

Why so much hate for wiring? Wiring might be one of my favorite aspects of a build. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/26/20 4:11 p.m.
Mezzanine said:

Why so much hate for wiring? Wiring might be one of my favorite aspects of a build. 

Its not terrible if I have clear and correct diagrams. Right now I am trying to make my own diagram from scratch and make it work with a provided harness, The VW side is not so hard but add in the GPS speedo, and all sorts of weird stuff like adding in a fuel pump just eats me up. I have never been good with low voltage stuff. 

The rear of the car is 100% done now and all I really need to do is the headlights/turn signals, and dash and I done minus the cutoff switches and things like that. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/26/20 4:25 p.m.
Mezzanine said:

I aspire to this. I'm not there yet.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/26/20 9:56 p.m.

Banged out the front end lights. Now I just need to join the two harnesses and do the gauges. I really hate this. Its slow going because I am terminating and soldering every single joint to make sure that there are no issues when I beat up on the car. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 10:17 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

and cue the solder haters in 3... 2... 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/26/20 11:57 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

and cue the solder haters in 3... 2... 

They can bring it. You could pull on my connectors with 20lbs plus of force and they won't separate and more importantly with a dab of solder on the actual joint they are not backing out. Add-in a zip to keep tension off the wire and it is not going anywhere. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/27/20 8:46 a.m.

The anti-solder argument is a solid connection is more prone to vibration failure over time than crimped connections. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/27/20 12:26 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

The anti-solder argument is a solid connection is more prone to vibration failure over time than crimped connections. 

I can see it in something like a helicopter where it will fail over time. In a car no way. Mine are crimped then soldered then shrink wrapped. They are not going anywhere. 

spent another grand and got a better banjo wheel, one I bought went back, an aluminum replica of the factory hand brake. Good throttle cables a spare wheel and the stuff to make a battery box. Splurged and got all Bosch switchgear and baca light knobs ad well  

i believe I have every single part except the axle covers down to the bolts to finish now.

Grand total is 31,0125.53. So I went over a bit. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/27/20 1:57 p.m.

NASA has been using solder for decades. It's reliable if you do it right:

https://makezine.com/2012/02/28/how-to-splice-wire-to-nasa-standards/

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
8/27/20 2:13 p.m.

The solder vs. crimp conversation is just like every other out there: if you're staunchly on one side of the fence and unwilling to make concessions, then you're probably wrong. I prefer crimping, but it doesn't serve in all applications. Both methods require the correct techniques and processes to provide reliable service. I just wired a motorcycle and had to solder more connections than I ever have in a vehicle before, mostly because of extremely tight packaging (inside the handlebar tube!) constraints. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/27/20 4:50 p.m.

So some very very pretty stuff got picked up.

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
8/27/20 5:35 p.m.

That's a very clever and elegant shift lever.  I wish I had seen that when I was modifying the Toyota one I used on my Europa.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/27/20 10:32 p.m.

Got the beast back today from my folks. Forgot how much a absolute stupid E36 M3 show of a car it is on the street. 

Steering wheel is on, all the pedals are now located properly, shifter works really well but needs a bit more fine tuning I think. Throttle cable is installed in the cabin but need to get it to get it attached at the motor. Confirmed that all of the switches are going to fit correctly. Still not 100% on the wiring. 

Emergency brake is 90% done just need to run the lines. Seats go in tomorrow for test fit and to see if I need to cut the bottoms out a bit to make them a bit shorter. Need to run the line for the hydro clutch as well but I have the parts now. 

Jbugs need to get off their collective butts and ship me my axle covers. 

Think once I get the sponsorship paint done I am going to take a week off and relax. Got a ton of paperwork I need to catch up on. 

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
8/28/20 1:46 p.m.

Wow! I took a week's vacation, and when I come back you have a car that looks almost ready to run! Rock on! 

ebelements
ebelements Reader
8/31/20 9:38 a.m.

You don't have the worst stable.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
8/31/20 1:39 p.m.

Are you going to "age" the  decals before you put them on so they match the faded paint look ?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/31/20 4:28 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Are you going to "age" the  decals before you put them on so they match the faded paint look ?

Using the vinyl as a mask and airbrushing and hand painting them on. Then going over that with clear. Yes I will be aging/yellowing the paint them to match the rest of the car. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
8/31/20 4:32 p.m.

sounds great !

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/31/20 6:22 p.m.

So they tried to quote me 400$ for the vinyl cutting. Three different shops. For 40$ worth of material. 

So I bought a used Roland knockoff on Craigslist for 70$ and I am making them myself.  I got my own cutter now and I can make everything I want. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/31/20 10:17 p.m.

Seats in 

Steering wheel and ignition and lights and wiper knobs

Everything just fitting in between the seats and sliders. 

70$ for all this stuff and it all works. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/1/20 5:05 a.m.

That's a great deal. I've often thought about doing that since I left the business. I'm sure you know this, but they make actual paint mask for what you're doing instead of using vinyl. It's cheaper and works better. 

Love the way the interior looks. That vintage style steering wheel is perfect, reminds me of the one on my old speedboat. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/1/20 5:38 a.m.

Use paint mask, it doesn't adhere as strongly so probably won't leave ghosting were it was stuck on your fresh paint

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/1/20 8:03 a.m.

Knobs, wheel, and switches look spot on! 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/1/20 12:49 p.m.
Saron81 said:

Knobs, wheel, and switches look spot on! 

They are all Bosch parts as well so they feel right too.  Still crimping the wiring harness and getting ready to do the final wire install this weekend. May not be able to touch it for a few days though had some good news today at work that means a bunch more work I need to do. 

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A00PnZ2rRXJIr3pfe3ricAnF4wU76e1nq15uDeBxSt1mYHzfx1oHcij4q8pmEI72