1 2
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/14/15 9:56 a.m.

First, it's the Alavanche because that's what my son has called it since he was 2 when i got it. He'll be 4 in a month and still calls it that, and if anyone corrects him I'll kill them because it's just too cute.

2005 Av, 140k. Z71, LT, loaded with everything from heated leather to sunroof, roof rack, Navigation, factory tow pack, 4.10's. Bought to be my daily driver which consists of being able to work as a home remodeling contractor and be a dad, safely carrying 2 kids to whichever grandma's house they are going to before work. And support my car hobby carting cars and stuff around, going on vacation with the family so that we can tow a car home if we find one, and otherwise all around do-it-all machine.

So, a few weeks ago the rear diff exploded. I tow a cargo trailer for work on average 4 days a week with it. Of course, what better time to upgrade when a rebuilt stock rear costs $1800. Unlike pickups though, 1/2 ton Av's have coil spring rears, like the suburbans/tahoes. 3/4 ton versions get leaf springs, so that option is out. Then i hear that there is a 6 lug 14 bolt rear from 07+ escalades that will bolt in, but none of them are 4.10 like my truck. Then i find some internet hearsay about some guy on a forum somewhere that swapped an H2 14 bolt into a tahoe only having to relocate the shock brackets. Based on looking at some pictures, I bought a 4.10 2006 H2 rear axle from a recycler in Alabama and had it shipped up here. Also, H2 are 8 lugs and I have 6, soooo. Ordered some of the USA made 6-->8 adapters on ebay for the front, which are 2" thick. H2 rear happens to be 2" wider per side than stock rear, so this will push the fronts out to match. But...now I need 8 lug 17's as the internets proclaim no 16" will clear the rear calipers of an h2. So order some wheels, and the new tires I was going to order anyway. Then, being sick of paying shops $75-180 a set to mount and balance my tires(yes, a local shop charged me $180 to mount and balance my corvette tires), I ordered up tire changer/balancer combo off ebay.

Here's my big middle finger to ebay, realizing after spending right around 4 grand with them, that they do not do ebay bucks on any ebay motors purchases. Suck on that, ebay.

Stuff starts showing up. tires, first, then wheels and adapters, lots of lug nuts, the full assortment of wheel weights. Rear axle comes and I pick it up at freight terminal. In order to unload the 400# behemoth from the van, we decided to try and stick a 16" steelie on it once we get one end out, to flip it up on end. sure enough, 16" steel wheel fits, clears caliper by 1/2", and the internets have failed me as I had a full set of factory steel wheels, caps, rings, and awesome firestone transforce HT tires off my old 2500 suburban. I should have ordered the wheels and tires last, but whatever, I'll use them at some point to keep miles off the nice Hankooks.

things began thursday.

little sad broken 10 bolt out

big freaking heavy beefy 14 bolt standing at attention, and tire machines came! backdrop is the 49 plymouth business coupe gasser, that my uncle purchased to help pay for the parts to fix the truck, and I pushed the WRX outside to get the truck in so i sold that too.

look my ass fell out. bilsteins still feel great.

14 bolt sitting ready to go in, albeit backwards in the picture.

discoveries. the H2 uses same control arms but larger bolt in the lower at the axle, so I had to remove the lower arms and drill the hole in the bushing out to 5/8". otherwise it was go get new h2 bushings, but I feel that 9 year old GM rubber is better than 0 year old parts store rubber, and they're still in great shape with no cracks.

more later.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
3/14/15 10:33 a.m.

Always liked these, the girlfriend does not but that's because she works at a body shop and deals with these often, btw check your inner quarter panels apparently they are a rust magnet.

Good luck with the build!

patgizz
3/14/15 10:47 a.m.

truck from virginia. the rust seems mostly to be bad on the clad trucks, then the unclad ones have the rocker issues like any other 99+ gm

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/14/15 10:56 a.m.

Nice score on the Av, heated leather and 4.10s ftw.

Always liked these but never owned one.

Good luck w/ the build.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/14/15 11:05 a.m.

Nice! Awaiting progress reports with much interest and patience.

patgizz
3/15/15 12:39 p.m.

mounted and balanced! still need to get the rear buttoned up, swap on the conversion u-joint because the 14 bolt has 1350 yoke, and my new brake pads just came in. by button up i mean install brake lines and cables, pads, clean rotors, bleed, install cover and fill with new fluid. simple stuff. lots of it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/15/15 1:12 p.m.

At some point in time, all my dailies turn project. Unfortunately that seems to happen when I got nothing else running.

patgizz
3/15/15 2:50 p.m.

so many lugs

it's so beefy!

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/15/15 5:39 p.m.

Nice work.

Good thing the wife's Av is still rollin good at 175k.... But it has 3.42's in it.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/15/15 5:55 p.m.

Nice

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/15/15 5:56 p.m.

Beefy is good.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/15/15 6:52 p.m.

I'm going to ask the dumb question here because IIRC the 3/4 hubs have the same bolt pattern but then you would just need the proper axles to fit..... Why didn't you go that way?

patgizz
3/15/15 7:18 p.m.

up front? the 1500's have a 3 bolt hub to spindle and 2500 has 4. the plan is keep eyes at pull a part for a 2500 4x4 to come in and get spindles, diff, and axles for front. or steal them out of FIL's 2500 when he's not looking.

patgizz
3/18/15 1:13 p.m.

things the internets are wrong about:

e-brake cables are a perfect fit. they do not need hacked up, nor do the hummer cables need to be cobbled together with the stock cables and hardware store cable clamps. the stock ones fit right in place and the lever to mount distance is equal on both rears.

the shock mounts do not need cut off and moved. the shocks are at a slight angle outward at the bottom now, but so is pretty much every rwd passenger car ever. i had to slot the outer bottom shock mount hole about 3/16" lower and the bolt slid right in.

rock auto lists the avalanche calipers as fitting h2, but not the other way around. neither way is true, so i ordered some new rears from advance, going to get them in a few minutes. i could not get the pistons to recede into their bores on the right one, so i figured now is as good a time as any to put new ones on the back to go with the new ones up front from last summer. after calipers will bleed and put the conversion joint in the driveshaft.

hopefully some more pictures of extreme progress later.

patgizz
3/19/15 7:31 p.m.

new wheels, tires, bedlinered flares.

truck is on the ground. tested rear up on stands, nothing seems amiss. it's super pissed off and throwing me ABS and BRAKE warning lights, and telling me to service brake system and service stability control and beeping at me because the wheel speed sensors are not hooked up in back. i need to order a new one for the broken one so i can hook them up.

gl21133
gl21133 New Reader
3/19/15 9:33 p.m.

Curious what the tire mount/balance setup ran you. Long term I've been considering something like that. I do tires regularly, I've got 4 sets waiting for mount/balance right now, $200+ right there.

patgizz
3/20/15 9:29 p.m.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tire-Changer-SR112A-Wheel-Balancer-SBM96-Machines-Combo-Rim-Clamp-/171492520355?hash=item27edc031a3&item=171492520355&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

there ya go. very positive experience with seller, great contact by phone and ebay message system, shipped within a day, and went from cali to ohio in 5 days.

patgizz
4/3/15 7:04 p.m.

new ABS sensor came last weekend, but i got sick last thursday and have been out of commission with a stomach bug and a sinus infection. today was the first day i felt good enough to have at it.

what i did was take the wires/plugs that came on the hummer rear and the female plugs were cut off the sensors of the stock rear axle, and i soldered/shrunk them together to make an adapter harness to plug the hummer sensors into the truck's plug up on the frame on each side. changed out the broken sensor, turned key and all the idiot lights and "service stability" were still on. after they cycled through once they all went off, and have stayed off.

so now i need to move the engine that i pulled from the WRX before it went away as it's sitting in front of the garage door blocking the truck from coming out. then i can wash it and take pics.

sadly i put the center caps on the new wheels and they make otherwise decent wheels look like crap. i'm going to try and source a sticker for them, or try to make something not lame. because they're freaking lame. the ebay auction caps said "vision" on them which i can live with. the ones that actually came say "v-tec" really big. i'm kinda pissed off there. at least if it said "just kicked in, yo" after v-tec it would be humorous.

patgizz
4/12/15 5:03 p.m.

so i moved the engine, got the truck out, and had a nasty crunching sound coming from the back and really crappy pulsating pedal. assumed junk rotors so ordered from rock auto, and they arrived thursday. took them off yesterday morning, and found inner right pad disintegrated. pulled rotor, and found a chunk of who knows what stuck to it, that ate the pad. $12 worth of cheap c-tek pads down the drain, picked up some wearever gold ceramics from advance with their 15% off sale. new rotors on each side and new pads, tossed back together, then my buddy came over to do a trailer full of tires on the new machines.

took for a ride around block today, after scrubbing the rust off the front rotors from sitting with road salt water on them, everything felt good so took the kids to the park and happy dog for a 60ish mile shakedown run. so far so good.

e46potenza
e46potenza Reader
4/12/15 5:08 p.m.

Looks legit. I officially approve.

patgizz
4/13/15 8:46 p.m.

that pic shows how horrible my bed trim looks. what should i use on it? mothers' back to black does not work.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
4/13/15 9:13 p.m.

Krylon.

TGMF
TGMF New Reader
4/14/15 12:22 p.m.

Bed trim....Plastidip it black? cheap, quick, lasts, and easily redone if need be. Plus if you hate it, its removable.

Or just use the same coating you used on the fender flares, so it matches.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
4/14/15 3:51 p.m.

My suburban just got totally jealous. Great job.

dinger
dinger Reader
4/15/15 8:50 a.m.

Penetrol.

It's a paint additive meant to help keep brush strokes out of oil based paint, but it's mainly linseed oil with some other stuff in it. Do a search on "penetrol plastic trim", it's very popular in the Jeep world for use on fender flares. Best part is, it's available at your local LowesDepot.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NycM5YyiovXnhVlmsjPg5TLxs505dm0h6yb53WsoagINMXPRtQ7eFASC6Ee4OIuY