warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
10/26/13 8:58 p.m.

so in a weak moment of arrogance, I purchased an 06 Mazda 6, had a slight misfire, didn't sound too terrible, turns out they have junk 2.3. 4 cyl's, looking at 2000 for a used one, found a rebuild kit on rock auto for 300, what say the hive? can I do an "in frame" overhaul on this? or should I just suck it up and put a used engine in it?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
10/26/13 9:41 p.m.

What makes you think that it needs a whole engine? You said missfires, not knocks rattles or klunks. It could easily be a HG or bent/burnt valve.

And where have you been doing your engine shoping to get that price ? The cool kids all use Car-Part.com

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
10/27/13 6:11 a.m.

if I go on car-part (in Ontario) the cheapest listed is 1500, after seafoaming and running, its still noisy, took the boroscope and looked in the 'dead cyl" found cracked piston, looked at the other one's to compare, found another crack, so i'm pretty sure its foo-foo'd

thanks for that link tho, never knew it existed!

RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/28/13 7:40 a.m.

Whats different from the 2.3 in the 6 compared to the 2.3 in the Focus, Mazda3, Ranger, Escape, .....??

I've never heard of the Duratec/MZR as having an problems like this. I might be uninformed.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
10/28/13 4:43 p.m.

apparently the 06-09 fusion 2.3 is a direct drop in, so that's what im hunting for.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
68zrrLaJ8CokMKMebKAHS2U5jruhcQLy8J9nATpuvFcv1btZBp932LgwwM7cRI8O