mccrimmon
mccrimmon New Reader
1/31/17 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Rickhead:

Thank you

mccrimmon
mccrimmon New Reader
1/31/17 8:15 p.m.

Got the SS braided line made today that I was hoping to get made 2 weeks ago. 1/8" npt to male AN adapter threaded into the port. 45 degree female AN swivel into SS braided brake line. 1/8" npt female end on the other end to accept my oil pressure sender for my Auto Meter gauge. Their senders are very bulky so I have to remote mount it. It is run up next to my left valve cover on a bracket.

Went with this set up first. When I stopped by Pirtek 2 Saturdays ago the guy couldn't make me what I wanted. I think he wasn't experienced enough because he was new. The pipe that is threaded into my port for oil pressure started leaking right there. Tried to tighten it more but it still leaked.

Hope to have it swapped out tomorrow after work so I can start putting some more miles on the car.

TipsyMcStagger
TipsyMcStagger New Reader
6/30/17 3:48 p.m.

BUMP!

TimM
TimM New Reader
7/29/17 8:37 p.m.

At his speed he has already completed a few track days and won the overall in the One Lap of America this year...

Bump!

mccrimmon
mccrimmon New Reader
7/30/17 12:31 p.m.

Haven't posted in a while. Made a few changes to the car. Trans now has a Hawks Motorsports Stage 1 kit in it and I've changed the rear section of my exhaust around a little. Will have to upload some pics to the ole photobucket and share.

Here's a link to some Wed night fun at my local short track I've been going to since I was a kid. The car sees AutoX as well. Few more videos on my YouTube channel

Langley Speedway

mccrimmon
mccrimmon New Reader
7/30/17 12:59 p.m.

Few things added lately. Built an air box and added two 2" ports to my foglight delete panel to direct fresh air directly to my filter. Works well. Monitored air intake air temps before and after and now they read just about ambient temp all the time unless you are stuck in traffic.

Removed my 2nd X-core muffler in the rear and built a straight pipe section with a pair of tuning pipes (Helmholtz Resonators) ... It is attached via v-band flanges as well and I also added v-band flanges to the muffler section I removed so I can swap it back on if I wanted to.

Anyways. The car is working well. After I had it tuned in March the car makes peak 374whp at 5800rpm and peak 375wtrq at 4300rpm. Starts building over 300 ft/lbs of torque right around 3000rpm. Runs great. Took it on one road trip and it got 26mpg cruising 80-85 mph. In 6th gear at 85mph the rpm is 2150

mccrimmon
mccrimmon New Reader
7/30/17 1:05 p.m.

Here is how it sounds now with the new rear exhaust section. Before with two mufflers on there it was just too deep. Too much muffler. Now it just has the one smaller X-Core muffler in the middle and it's not horribly loud.

New exhaust sound

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
7/30/17 2:39 p.m.

Nice work. Surprised you didn't knock out 30mpg on your trip. That was really achilles heel of this swap into a 944, you couldn't use the T56, so the gearing was way too short. At 85mph I'd be seeing 3700rpm and would get something like 18mpg.

TimM
TimM New Reader
8/2/17 4:12 p.m.

Extremely slick...all of it. And you get some serious use out of the swap! Any drag times yet?

Impressive!

mccrimmon
mccrimmon New Reader
8/4/17 12:32 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Nice work. Surprised you didn't knock out 30mpg on your trip. That was really achilles heel of this swap into a 944, you couldn't use the T56, so the gearing was way too short. At 85mph I'd be seeing 3700rpm and would get something like 18mpg.

Thanks. Yeah. 26mpg was my max. Checked it a few times there and back. I'll still take it. Better mpg than my wife's 370z Nismo and of course my Jeep!

mccrimmon
mccrimmon New Reader
8/4/17 12:36 p.m.
TimM wrote: Extremely slick...all of it. And you get some serious use out of the swap! Any drag times yet? Impressive!

Thank you. Yes. I try to use it. Run it at Langley for their Wednesday night events and it's a blast. I've been raised around stock car car racing all my life so it's in my blood. Also AutoX the car. Haven't gotten any real good onbaord videos from that yet. I'm more of a road racing guy so not into the straight line stuff. I'd imagine if I could cut a good reaction time the car should be easily into the 12's.

At some point I'll get the car out to some Road Courses near me for some track days. What I'm doing now with the car will have to do for now.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy New Reader
8/4/17 3:13 p.m.

I liked it without the 'corvette' covers. Looks more raw and mysterious, not to mention it doesn't say 'corvette'

TimM
TimM New Reader
8/6/17 2:04 p.m.

The short track events are interesting from your videos. The outside wall looms...

I've got a 97 M3 four door being prepped for an L33 swap. Thanks for posting!

mccrimmon
mccrimmon New Reader
10/10/17 9:07 a.m.

In reply to TimM :

Your welcome. Here's the last event I ran with my car in Sept. Watch it in 480p for best viewing. 

TSCC at Academi

I'm starting an LS6 build for it now. I may end up stroking it to 383ci. All depends on what parts cost me.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
10/10/17 9:35 a.m.

Going to a 383 over my LS1 gave me 50-60ft lbs of torque at the wheels more all the way across the board.  IT was totally worth it.

mccrimmon
mccrimmon New Reader
10/11/17 9:04 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Yep. I'm still crunching numbers. I'm trying to build this engine to be one and done. Last engine I'll ever need or want to build for my car. 383 stroke with 3.905 bore and 11:1 compression along with porting my 243 heads and custom grind cam from cam motion will really wake up the LS6 

TimM
TimM New Reader
11/2/17 6:36 p.m.

We know this isn't true...

"Last engine I'll ever need or want to build for my car."

:-)

TimM
TimM New Reader
3/31/18 11:26 a.m.

Any more updates...with the big motor?

:-)

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/3/18 4:07 p.m.

Nice to see another virginian on the board.  sweet swap!

mccrimmon
mccrimmon New Reader
4/18/18 8:59 p.m.

In reply to TimM :

Great to meet you, Tim. Happy to show you my car and glad you enjoyed seeing it and talking about the swap. Look forward to seeing yours get started 

mccrimmon
mccrimmon New Reader
4/18/18 9:00 p.m.

In reply to stylngle2003 :

Thanks. Appreciate it

mccrimmon
mccrimmon New Reader
4/18/18 9:17 p.m.

The 383 LS6 is now in the car. Got about 650 miles on it now. 

383.25 ci  6.3 liter

Eagle rotating assembly. 3.905 bore 11:1 Forged Mahle pistons. H beam rods. ARP hardware. Ported 243 heads. Custom grind cam from Cam Motion. PAC dual valve springs with Ti hardware. Trunion kit in the stock rockers. 

Built a new mid pipe set up for it and added a pair of flex joints. 

Next phase now is getting a base line tune in it. I have another set of injectors I need to get in and set up for. 

TimM
TimM New Reader
4/19/18 5:35 p.m.

Chris, the pleasure was all mine...to the board - I happen to find myself in Virginia where this fellow M3 swapper lives. Chris went out of his way to show me his example.

He is a goldmine if info considering the obvious success at not only a running example, but one that is a rocket!

Big kudos to his workmanship and exercising the 383 powered car. Certainly got my blood going...perfectly timed as we are about a week out from tear down of our own M3.

It sure seems the way BMW should have sold the car...

Thanks Chris!

mccrimmon
mccrimmon New Reader
4/20/18 9:32 a.m.

In reply to TimM :

Thanks Tim!! Look forward to seeing you and your Son get started on yours.

Now I need to remember how I was sharing pics to the thread with my Photo Bucket. My home PC was running super slow the other night and I lost patience trying to get some updated pics shared.

I hope to have a base line tune in the car this weekend for the new 383 ...It's still running on my LS1 tune. Pretty good too but it needs my large injectors, some tweaks with the idle and a whole new timing curve too.

badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
4/20/18 11:05 a.m.

Wow, really nice build, thanks for sharing. It's probably just my naivete, but I had no idea LS into M3 was a thing. 

I should know better; the Great Automotive Axiom states such that y exists, LS into y also exists.

damen

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZRsgWUIke9SxT3yO01NRMEvbTZv3pp7SBKhZzRopXknIa6yydmiLsbz65Zb8Cotu