1 2 3
chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/3/13 10:07 a.m.

Yeah, I'd have to reshape the floor to get one to fit. This unit is very compact! We looked a a wrecked Trailblazer SS but there are a number of things that would need reworked and I'm not currently set up to do that kind of a project.

bluerooster
bluerooster New Reader
9/4/13 6:59 p.m.
RossD wrote: What side does the front driveshaft sit on Chevy half ton trucks? You could almost buy the transmission and transfer case with the engine, if it's the same side as the M-B. I'm sure the xfer case is bigger but, whatever...

left

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/7/13 4:47 p.m.

So today I went ahead and prepped the "new" (lol) trans and then I removed the exhaust front and rear driveshafts and most of the connectors. I was readying the trans to come out when I bashed my head against one of the wheel buckets.... Result=most likely a concussion since my vertigo is crazy and I was throwing up after I woke up. I buttoned it up and came inside.

Tomorrow I will hopefully get the old trans out and the new one in.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
10/9/13 8:58 p.m.

A month later the replacement trans is in; the day I started I wacked my head into the jack stand and concussed my self. I was unable to lay down without getting some wicked vertigo; took a couple weeks to get over that. The neutral safety switch on both transmissions were bad so I'll order one of those and button it up once that arrives.

The suspension stuff is all sitting here; once I know this trans will hold together I will begin surgery to get it low enough.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/10/13 8:19 a.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

Well that makes for a good story. Glad you're feeling better.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing Reader
10/10/13 10:41 a.m.

Holy crap! That's not the kind of interruption you expect to find! Hope you're doing ok. I've whacked my head several times under a car, but never that hard!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/10/13 10:51 a.m.

Is it possible that the neutral safety switch was what was not allowing the trans to move in reverse?

Rob R.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
10/10/13 11:58 a.m.

Nah; the b3 piston failed. The neutral safety switch wouldn't let it start in park; always had to start in neutral. When I buttoned it up yesterday it wouldn't start, everything else was fine with good voltage everwhere. After messing around a bit I just pulled the harness and Plugged it into the old neutral safety switch and found neutral by attempting to start it in each detent in the switch. Sure enough it fired right up. Sucky thing is that the neutral safety switch is BEHIND the front driveshaft which is a solid hour of work to remove. That's why I just pulled the harness and tested it. This car is a packaging nightmare.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
10/12/13 5:35 p.m.

So, laying awake this morning listening to a sick 2yo in he monitor I thought "what are the chances if both NSSwitch being bad"? Not likely; today I retested both and the one From the replacement trans works fine, I must have not had it plugged in the whole way.

Drove it 100 miles this afternoon; need to fix an exhaust leak and double check all the fluids and it's back in business.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/12/13 5:55 p.m.

Great Success!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/12/13 7:22 p.m.

Excellent.
I want an '87 300TD

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
10/12/13 7:40 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Excellent. I want an '87 300TD

So do I, I wish they weren't so expensive though.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
11/17/13 12:20 p.m.

After driving this off and on for the last month or so(my neighbor and my brother have both used it in that time) I've decided that since it doesn't really need anything I'm going to just sell it. I threw it on Craigslist hoping to pull some interest but nada yet. It has developed a power steering leak which is kinda a big deal since it also is the hydraulic fluid for the self leveling suspension. My brother is using it this week while waiting for the fuel pumps for his W201 to come so he will try to find the leak as well.

The whole stance thing came to a head when I disassembled the front suspension to find that the coilovers that "work" aren't compatible with the 4matic. So, if it doesn't sell, I may trim the springs to bring it down a bit but it is such a competent cruiser I think it will just get used.

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
11/21/13 9:47 a.m.

Link?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
11/21/13 8:40 p.m.
Hoop wrote: Link?

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/bar/4204500458.html

There you go.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.