1 2 3 4 5
wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
12/29/11 7:26 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote: Learned something new about the Yugo today:
The Yugo initially failed the front-end collision test that it was required to pass before it could be imported. Reason? The testers removed the spare tire. When they put it back, it passed. Barely.

Thought the spare tire was an optional add-on that added $$ to the price of these new? That's what I remember when these were new.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/29/11 7:52 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote: Learned something new about the Yugo today:
The Yugo initially failed the front-end collision test that it was required to pass before it could be imported. Reason? The testers removed the spare tire. When they put it back, it passed. Barely.
Any new progress to report?

No not really. I have been out of town or trying to keep my lungs from escaping. I am going to have all day Monday free and all next weekend. So much progress will be made soon.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/29/11 9:26 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Does anyone know of a bolt in roll bar that will fit in a Yugo?
93EXCivic wrote: Where can I find a header which will fit the Yugo?

You really need to buy a welder...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/30/11 7:02 a.m.

I have a welder available I was just trying to avoid a hit in the budget with the bolt-in. I mean I guess I could fabricate a bolt-in roll bar but that seems kinda silly. I figured on the header there would be a Fiat header which fit.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/3/12 9:45 p.m.

Car as it sits now.

No headliner

Pile of parts not going back into the Yugo.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/3/12 9:46 p.m.

Anyone got an ideas of how to remove this glue? It held the headliner on.

Also what kinda glue is used to hold the seals on.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/12 10:14 p.m.

lacquer thinner?

at first i thought your last line was "what kinda glue is used to hold the seats in" and figured that was par for the yugo course

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/4/12 7:14 a.m.

Rust spots. It is on both sides of the car.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/4/12 11:13 a.m.

Its commonly known that Yugos dont actually operate properly without a certain percentage of the car eaten by the tin worm. That will buff out.

...or better known as time to get a wire cup, a stack of abrasive discs, a good grinder, and a free weekend

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/4/12 3:43 p.m.

I'm not too far away from you. I'm working on my own Challenge car, but if you need a hand on something I could be persuaded to help.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/8/12 7:57 p.m.

So it looks like the there are two sets of heater controls. Which runs what?

Should I even keep the heater at all?

Graefin10
Graefin10 HalfDork
1/8/12 8:32 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Anyone got an ideas of how to remove this glue? It held the headliner on. Also what kinda glue is used to hold the seals on.

3M adhesive remover. You should be able to get it from the NAPA store.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
1/8/12 9:22 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: So it looks like the there are two sets of heater controls. Which runs what? Should I even keep the heater at all?

The set on the bottom looks like something someone installed, for what reason I do not know.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/8/12 9:45 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: So it looks like the there are two sets of heater controls. Which runs what? Should I even keep the heater at all?
The set on the bottom looks like something someone installed, for what reason I do not know.

It looks really really well installed like factory.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/8/12 9:48 p.m.

If it looks really really well installed wouldn't that mean it isn't factory? This is a Yugo after all.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/8/12 9:53 p.m.
EvanB wrote: If it looks really really well installed wouldn't that mean it isn't factory? This is a Yugo after all.

Well when your frame of reference is mainly British cars, a Yugo seems well made.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
1/8/12 11:08 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
It looks really really well installed like factory.

Haha, I realized after I posted that, your car has air conditioning! That's extremely rare. It has two seperate setups for heat and air con. Kind of goofy, but it makes sense.

I've only seen it on one Yugo I serviced in the past. It took me a little bit to remember.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/15/12 1:36 p.m.

Does anyone know how to pop the hood if the hood release in the car is broken?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/12 5:54 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Well when your frame of reference is mainly British cars, a Yugo seems well made.

Oooh, burn!

i nominate the above quote for "Say What?!"

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/19/12 7:19 p.m.

Rockauto carries a carburetor repair kit for a '74 X1/9 which would be the Weber 32 DMTRA that I am going to be using on my Yugo. Anyone have any idea what is in this kit? I guess at $11 it isn't to much of a risk to try.

Also a question involving challenge rules. Shipping something cost towards the Challenge budget correct? If it does, if something else is shipped with that item that isn't for the Challenge car does the shipping have to count at that point?

EvanB
1/19/12 7:32 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Does anyone know how to pop the hood if the hood release in the car is broken?

Can you reach up in front of the radiator from under the car and pull on the cable?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/19/12 8:48 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: Does anyone know how to pop the hood if the hood release in the car is broken?
Can you reach up in front of the radiator from under the car and pull on the cable?

Negative.

My Haynes manual says to remove the grill and pry the latch with a screwdriver to open it but that is not easy. I can get a screwdriver back there but it only hits the hook and I can't seem to get it on the latch... I may resort to surgery of the hood.

EvanB
1/19/12 9:07 p.m.

Which part is broken? There is no cable in the interior you can pull?

Sounds like you need this:

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/19/12 9:09 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Which part is broken? There is no cable in the interior you can pull? Sounds like you need this:

The cable is attached on the interior. I believe it is broken by the release itself.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/19/12 9:34 p.m.

In other news, I just got a shirt with a picture of a Yugo that says real men race Yugos.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k6bQNThBzfZgec3LKIz1lckfzTSWQlpRi3vAvMgw1ecNQTPOKbXIgoz79amvFbIF