Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
8/6/12 2:26 p.m.

Figure I would finally put up a thread on where this vehicle is going to go, hopefully.

Starting point is one 2wd V6 1995 Dodge Dakota.

Hope to stuff in a 5.7 Hemi for as close as I can get to ZERO additional dollars.

Started today making patterns for motor mounts and seeing what can go where in the engine bay.

These are a PITA and I hate making patterns.

I believe the front is going to get a little bit tight, as the 5.7 measures out about 28" from bellhousing to the front of the crank pulley. I still have almost 3" of firewall clearance though to play with.

Picture of how close it will be, based on the current V6 bellhousing placement.

I think I will be ok on everything else, even with a growth of over 3" of width per side. Might have to invest in some LX manifolds, but we shall see. Probably also have to make a complete offset motor mount, as the original mounts are too far back on the Hemi block.

More later when there is time and money.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
8/6/12 8:43 p.m.

So I guess you decided not to sell it?

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
8/6/12 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Are ya goin' the sleeper route?

I luvs the element of surprise

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
8/6/12 9:06 p.m.

In reply to Rob_Mopar:

Not for when people want me to give it away.....

In reply to fasted58:

Provided I can keep the truck intake under the stock hood. If not, I do have a 300/Magnum/Charger intake that will clear, but then I have to change the front cover, water pump, balancer, and FEAD, unless the 09-up truck intake will bolt up. Plus I am going to swap from the 8 coils and spider wires to 8 single coils like on the LX bodies or post-05 models.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
8/6/12 10:19 p.m.

Oh and this is the look I am after, except even cleaner.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
8/27/12 11:17 a.m.

Figure since I worked a bit on the motor, I would provide an update.

Decided to peel the oilpan away from the block, yet again, to inspect the rod and rod bearing giving me fits. Good thing the oil pan gasket also serves as a windage tray too.

After you remove the pan gasket, you can gaze at the crossbolted mains, thick main caps, and cracked cap power rods.

Can which one is bad?

Journal surface "texture":

Actual bearing size, smallest reading recorded here:

Time for a new crank. The rod journal diameter is supposed to be 2.125".....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1YOoFtkyNAlmjKKIB12VhbPABNSCdSXHffvpRVJhtrIhAaCC2Jyk0D12jFeatZgD