1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 59
KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
8/28/18 4:37 p.m.
DaveEstey said:

Sidenote - time to think about a paint job refresh.  The roll into the woods didn't help things...

I've noticed the same on my car after trips into the woods.  We must need better paint. :-)

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
8/29/18 7:39 a.m.

We could make literally dozens of dollars if we developed tree-proof paint

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
8/29/18 4:11 p.m.

The last time I used trees to mess my paint up, my instructor told me that in order to tree-proof my car, I only needed to tighten the nut behind the wheel.  ;)  In my case, my instructor was right!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/4/18 11:57 a.m.

Visual proof that I've managed to soften up the car. Probably too much, but now I can dial it back.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/4/18 11:58 a.m.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/11/18 8:10 a.m.

The rolling chassis is for sale!
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/open-classifieds/hillclimb-rx7-rolling-chassis-mine-and-so-affiliat/142966/page1/

I'm ready to move on to new adventures in a new chassis. Yes, the price is ridiculously low.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/18 12:19 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Unfortunately, I forgot most of it because we went with the 3400.  The intake is definitely a point that will need to be looked into.  Also, check into how the starter mounts.  I cant remember if there is a place to mount a starter if using a FWD based 3800 with the RWD trans.

Supercharger is a no go without major engineering, it hangs over the transmission which is fine in a front driver.

Any transmission that was in a 3800 F body, or a 2.2 S10, will bolt up.  There were no RWD (right side starter) 3800s or 2.2s, GM just made left side starter RWD cases.  (Or dual pocket cases in some S10s)  This is also why the LS4 has a goofy, specific transmission, since Chevy put some important oil passages right where the starter needs to be on the Metric/FWD/V6-60 bolt pattern.  (For that matter, the valley mounted starter on the Northstar is because there was nowhere else for it to go)

Dave, check your e-mail pls!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/12/18 7:44 a.m.

Video of my buddy and Ben hot lapping the RX7 at autocross last weekened. She got a hot supper and didn't miss a beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58IKloRbRj4

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/26/18 7:26 a.m.

I've been remiss on updates. The car has been chilling in a friends garage while he uses my trailer to move - for two months.

While winter has meant doing nothing to the car due to a lack of space the past couple years, this year that changes. A group of like minded individuals have come together to get a real shop space and we found a 3,000sq ft space not too far away and generally "good enough." We'll start moving later this week, so stay tuned for shop buildout updates and then some progress on the RX7 as it gets better looking and a little more refined.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/2/18 9:00 a.m.

We're in like sin baby!

Plenty of room for activities - until we load the space up with cars and equipment. Shop build updates coming soon

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/14/18 8:47 p.m.

Construction is progressing. 

I could barely fit the truck in my old shop. Not much of a problem now. 

First of several tables built up. White for composites work - brown for whatever. We'll be building a couple metal tables as well for welding etc. 

Next big step is getting my pixie wrangler out to add more outlets and a couple 208v outlets. You may be asking yourself "208?" yeah we have 3-phase in this joint. 

Scottah
Scottah Dork
12/15/18 7:24 a.m.

Rent or buy? 

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/16/18 6:14 p.m.

In reply to Scottah :

Renting. Part of a very large complex.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/2/19 10:20 a.m.

Shop buildout continues

The wall (complete now but not pictured) separates the oily metally bits from the organic carbon foam bits. May the two never meet and create oily metal sawdust. 

More benches have been built as well.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/2/19 10:23 a.m.

Also - because I don't like having a project list shorter than 10, I picked up a drivetrain donor for the LeMons RX7.

Not bad for $600. Runs (once I plugged the MASSIVE vacuum leak) but doesn't drive as the clutch is completely gone. 

Now I'm labeling everything before I pull it to (hopefully) make it simpler when I graft all this into the RX7 later. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
1/2/19 11:32 a.m.

disapprove 

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/2/19 1:17 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 :

Good thing I still let you play with the Hillclimber's heart

Knurled.
1/2/19 7:21 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey :

If you're going to scrap the shell, could I please request a few bits n pieces from it?  (Simple things that would fit in a flat rate box: the berking ABS wiring subharnesses that go from the hubs to the chassis)

Knurled.
1/2/19 7:24 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

disapprove 

You'd probably hate all of the Duratec parts I have been stockpiling.  Also LSx wiring/electronics and other swap related stuff.

Or you could bitch at Mazda for discontinuing all of the worthwhile rotary parts.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/2/19 8:56 p.m.
DaveEstey said:

Also - because I don't like having a project list shorter than 10, I picked up a drivetrain donor for the LeMons RX7.

Not bad for $600. Runs (once I plugged the MASSIVE vacuum leak) but doesn't drive as the clutch is completely gone. 

Now I'm labeling everything before I pull it to (hopefully) make it simpler when I graft all this into the RX7 later. 

Hawt!  I like this swap and would have done it but it's too many points for champcar once you add everything up.

I would love to follow along while you build the rx7 up.

Approved!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/7/19 8:04 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

We're were planning on selling the roller, but if the buyer doesn't want that stuff I'll pull it for you.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/7/19 8:08 a.m.

Out she comes!

He loves feeding the chickens.

She came out pretty easy. I'm pulling the interior harness too so I can hopefully start the engine on the stand. The clutch was as glazed as any I've seen, which explains why it didn't want to move the car.

It's on the engine stand now and I'll start the process of checking it over, resealing and cleaning.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/7/19 8:10 a.m.

If anybody has tips on the driveshaft conversion please let me know.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
1/7/19 12:16 p.m.
Knurled. said:
fidelity101 said:

disapprove 

You'd probably hate all of the Duratec parts I have been stockpiling.  Also LSx wiring/electronics and other swap related stuff.

Or you could bitch at Mazda for discontinuing all of the worthwhile rotary parts.

naw not entirely. but the 3800? ughhhhh

mazda discontinued your ancient stuff years ago they are still cranking out parts for 86+ (or have a healthy stock of)...

for the most part. 

Looking for rear LCA spherical bearing seals which are NLA at the moment actually now that you mention it.

my rx8 engine just gave out so now I got a hard top S2 rx8 with a blown motor and no idea what im gonna do with it. 

DaveEstey said:

basic measurements and a local driveshaft shop. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/7/19 12:51 p.m.
DaveEstey said:

for alot fo these conversions, a stock C4 corvette aluminum driveshaft is the right length, has the correct trans side part and just requires a conversion joint and a different flange part for the diff side (if using the stock NA rearend).  I have heard the LS swap guys use this.  I did this as well for my 3400 swap (and it just worked, I wasnt expecting it to end up in the same position, but it did)

"One of the beautiful things about this swap is the positioning of the engine and trans allows for the use of an off the shelf driveshaft out of a C4 Corvette. Mates up to the transmission and the length (allegedly) works out perfectly. I'll need to order the proper flange to mate the rear u joint to the diff (have the part number at home) and a conversion U joint (3150 to 7260 ? IIRC)."   From Furious E's V8 swap thread: https://classicmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1987-rx7-ls1-swap/125758/page1/

Lemme see if I can scare up the part number for the rear connection....

Or, get it through Mazdatrix or any other drivetrain company: https://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/PTI-2602-37.html

1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 59

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mWHyjsn2tj6apk18OmR3qRDZwTKOu17dirZBsKWlXCbq4rKQyglhkdM0Q9HmppA1