akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/15/19 11:22 a.m.

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/d/cedar-springs-volvo-c30-t5/6866404992.html

I know it has only been less than 24 hours since the last project left but how scared of this should I be?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/15/19 12:18 p.m.

Hnnng. Awesome. You might be facing an engine swap, but whiteblock Volvo 5-cylinders are all over junkyards. I don't know the difference between the T5 and base 5-cylinder, you might look into that. I find modern-ish Volvos to be pretty easy to work on, nothing too confusing or strange.

I would jump all over that. Too bad it's an auto, but the T5 has enough power to make even the auto entertaining.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/15/19 12:35 p.m.

I like these, I like blue and I a sucker for a broken car.  My name is Tony, I have a car problem and a drinking habit.

I'll let it sit for a week, if it's not sold I'll look at it and give him the usual story.  Ten years old, broken, lots of miles on it...$500.

It appears clean and from a good home though.

Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
4/15/19 3:26 p.m.

Also AWD swapable with factory Volvo parts 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/these-crazy-volvo-fans-built-the-awd-polestar-c30-we-al-1826132121/amp

(not that you would put that much work Into an auto. But still cool.)

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports New Reader
4/15/19 3:34 p.m.

I have a 2011 for sale right now.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/galt-2011-volvo-c30/6851743925.html

They are sweet looking cars, and fast too, but I don't see how you can make it run 10's in the 1/4 mile to be competitive.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/15/19 8:12 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Those look like cheap TireRack wheels.  The Sport Edition brand mounted to snow tires.

If you do consider, find out if there is a full set of factory alloys too to sweeten the deal.  

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/15/19 8:23 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

In one picture you can see what looks like a summer tire, slightly out of place in an otherwise tidy garage.

In other news, I am now not into this as a dream home of both SWMBO and I may fall into our laps if we can afford it.

Anyone looking for a four bedroom ranch with a sweet shop in Grand Rapids.  Forest Hills, best schools in the state.  Clearly I didn’t go there but my successful daughter did.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
4/15/19 9:20 p.m.

Man that is a neat looking little car

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/19 9:26 p.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

I have a 2011 for sale right now.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/galt-2011-volvo-c30/6851743925.html

They are sweet looking cars, and fast too, but I don't see how you can make it run 10's in the 1/4 mile to be competitive.

ga tech insight won in 2017 and iirc they were in the 13’s.  

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
4/22/19 10:32 p.m.
dculberson said:

Hnnng. Awesome. You might be facing an engine swap, but whiteblock Volvo 5-cylinders are all over junkyards. I don't know the difference between the T5 and base 5-cylinder, you might look into that. I find modern-ish Volvos to be pretty easy to work on, nothing too confusing or strange.

I would jump all over that. Too bad it's an auto, but the T5 has enough power to make even the auto entertaining.

They were all T5 250hp turbos. Wife had an 09 auto that was great fun to drive. In manual mode, it will lock the converter in every gear so it feels just like a manual, and the motor has enough power to torque steer/spin all the way through first gear and make you be careful coming out of corners in second. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/19 9:09 p.m.
dculberson said:

Volvo autos are very, very good.

Mechanically, I'd want to drop in the 2.4 turbo from a newer S60.  It's basically the S60R/Focus RS engine but with 81mm bores instead of 83mm, so it can handle even more power.  (The 83mm blocks tend to crack at the tops of the bores unless you shore them up with shims)

There isn't much room for turbo in the C30/S40/V50 chassis, but you could probably buy a takeout Focus RS turbo from Europe or the UK, as they had fairly high flowing turbos that fit in this chassis.

(edit:  I'm speaking here of the Euro-only five cylinder Focus RS that we didn't get)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hn5f8K06tCS6JfTABrwKmiyWc1POnBjKUSnBUbDGoTDGXh9iSRyqh7Mvo8OxJga0