spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
12/26/18 9:08 p.m.

Because of the amount of rust on this car I considered it a good candidate as a race car with a roll bar to add support.  I had started to patch this rusty Mustang with plans of taking it to the $2,000 GRM Challenge.  I replace almost the entire floor, added torque boxes, and started exterior rust repair.  I also acquired a '69 Falcon parts car for it's 302 drivetrain, hunted down some better sheet metal, bought some poly bushings, shocks, traction bars, and got some beefy front coil springs and sway bar.  There is no glass except the windscreen.  I do have some ancient fat drag slicks, but the at least rims are still good.  

$3,900 near Tampa.  I'm not living at home Now, so (good friend and SCCA Champion) Danny Shields is handling the sale.  I bet you could work a deal that included the Falcon.  :)

Photo of when I got the car before I disassembled and started welding.  (I sold the side glass, but nothing else.)   I have a pretty nice factory hood in vintage burgundy that does not have the huge hole.  Bumpers are in primer.  I believe I have an extra set of doors, and an extra fender. And several other parts like a '68 steering column.  

I welded in the taillight panels.  I have the patch panel for the part under the rear window in a box, but obviously not installed.

Both sides had this area patched, and places like the bottom of the rear fenders, inner wheel wells, and gas tank support area.  (bottom right of photo.)

I patched the driver side in this area (side of wind screen), but the passenger side needs to be done.  I have the cowl hats for both sides but they are not installed.

Sorry for the bad photo.  Almost the entire floor (including the gas tank area) was patched with panels from NPD or CJ Pony.  That's a home made brace I installed, it is easily removed if you don't dig it.  (But I think it's groovy.) You can also see rust repair to the left of the brace.  Side rails are good.  Thank you Ford for galvanizing. 

Somehow the engine compartment had very few rust holes.  I think I only patched under the battery tray.  You can see some rust repair around the cowl.  Oh, and one of the torque boxes at the bottom.  Red on the driver side is bottom of floor patch.  There are several small holes at the front of the roof.  You cans also see the metal to the side of the windscreen needs repair.  I only did the driver side.

I have a much better steering wheel.  Sorry for the messy photo.  You can see some of the replaced floor and Seat Supports.  This the underside of the windscreen support repair.  There are also some patches around the door mount.  They were done for strength, not stealth.  Because Race Car.

I would say the worst part of the car is under that panel that sits under the rear window (patch panel in box not installed).  A lot of the structure is gone.  And it's like $350 from CJ pony.   My thought is a race car would have a roll bar or cage that negated the need for the structure.  It would be a bit of a nightmare to turn this car into a show car.  I feel the rust makes it a race car candidate.  

Again there are many parts that are not shown.  You can see the car as I got it.  I did sell the side glass, but otherwise I added.

I'm fairly sure Danny Shields will post something here fairly soon.  You can email either of us with questions through the board (Click on our avatar and email us).  Talking to Danny is the same as talking to me.  He will handle the actual sale.   (I wanted to post this here first.  If no one is interested it will likely be re-assembled to Show Better, and go on Craig's list for a higher price.  Danny urged me to post it "as is" first because any buyer would have to  dis-assemble it again. ) 

Thanks for looking, Mark

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/27/18 5:51 a.m.

This is obviously a significant project to finish up, but Mark has already done a lot of the heavy lifting with all those weld repairs. The Mustang is such an iconic car with a huge following that restoration parts are readily available.  Mark tells me this is a V8 car, so the Falcon 302 would be right at home. 

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
12/27/18 7:03 a.m.

Thanks Fast Dan 5.     Yes, 5 lug wheel, factory V-8 car.  

I'm not a drag racer, but when I got it, it had traction bars on the leaf springs, air shocks on the back, and a huge cut out in the hood... so someone had a little fun with this car back in the day.   :-)      Here's another photo of when I got it.   

P.S.   I have gutted that trunk lid for weight savings.  It can't be attached with the factory hinges.  

Danny Shields
1/4/19 1:51 p.m.

It would be fun to make this Mustang a GT 350 style race car, but it has a title and could be restored to street trim.  

Danny Shields
1/15/19 11:11 a.m.

This could also be fun to build for American Endurance racing, or Vintage racing, but cheap!

Danny Shields
3/2/19 8:20 p.m.

Sold.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nJz8hmb1jgIcipkNiQomlHCMxkJsIQtWwGmCg8CseebhcvNCtuFZ7GCpkX6h8HCc