1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/20 6:25 p.m.

1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

2.3L Turbo Lima motor
T5 5-speed manual transmission
3.73 track-lock 8.8" rear axle

This TC is nearly fully loaded including the power moonroof, dual power seats, automatic climate control, premium sound with EQ, automatic headlights, and cornering lamps. A/C, PW, PDL, keyless entry, fog lights, power mirrors, cruise control, etc.

Upgraded to a .63 a/r Garrett T3 turbocharger, cold air intake, manual boost controller, oil control tank, auxiliary electric fan, boost gauge, wide band O2, 3" exhaust, and more.

Originally an automatic car (3.73 gear) with complete proper swap from an original manual 88 TC including hydraulic clutch and ecu.

Clean car, clean title in my name, no rust, no accidents, no issues. Has WA collector plates that never need to be renewed. Fast and fun!

Washington state about an hour north of Portland.

$3500 obo

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/20 6:46 p.m.

Stupid question, is this dark blue with a red stripe? 

I think it just popped up in my Facebook search....

Javelin
2/22/20 9:31 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

White

Javelin
2/22/20 10:11 p.m.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/22/20 10:11 p.m.

Dang.  I drove one of these from '97 to '01. It was an awesome car that was one of the best highway cruisers ever.

Javelin
2/22/20 11:14 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Dang.  I drove one of these from '97 to '01. It was an awesome car that was one of the best highway cruisers ever.

I still really love them. I just love 2-seater AMX's more.

Also I irrationally want to strip all the options from this one that make it a good cruiser and turn it into a porky, under-engined drag car because I have issues.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/23/20 12:27 a.m.

dangit I will own one of these someday

but not today, because I can't afford it.

Javelin
2/23/20 1:39 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Make me an offer I can't refuse. I'd rather see it stay in the GRM family 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/23/20 7:18 a.m.

Noice! 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/23/20 7:26 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

...1 dollar. seriously though I am broke. :(

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/23/20 8:55 a.m.

Mine was dark blue and turned more heads than any car I've ever owned.  For whatever reason people just loved it and would take any opportunity to come up and talk about it.

It only failed me once in 4 years.  A bad plug wire caused the computer to shut everything down.  Apparently it does it out of self defense to prevent misfire damage.

I even drove it into a flooded road once by mistake.  Water came over the hood and I had to downshift to first from the resistance.  It plunged through like a landing craft and scooted up the other side.  No issues whatever.

Awesome cars.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/20 10:26 a.m.

These are the high water year Turbo coupes in my opinion. Snazzy.

Antihero
2/23/20 11:56 a.m.
Javelin said:

Damn, that's better looking than the one I saw.

Javelin
2/23/20 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

It's pretty low miles! 127k. Was an all stock automatic car that had the manual swap and all the upgrades done just last summer.

Javelin
2/24/20 8:20 a.m.

Everything but the a/c works.

Antihero
2/24/20 10:48 a.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to Antihero :

It's pretty low miles! 127k. Was an all stock automatic car that had the manual swap and all the upgrades done just last summer.

Seems really cool, I'm sure you'll get some good interest

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/20 11:36 a.m.

I tried to talk my dad into it.

Javelin
2/24/20 4:06 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Try harder

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
2/24/20 4:59 p.m.

Had lots of fun in my friends ‘88 5 speed TC when it was new.  Car leapt pretty hard outta the hole and surprised a lot of people.  Great long distance cruiser too.

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/25/20 2:31 a.m.

It's a good thing for my wallet and my marriage that this is so far away from me

Javelin
2/25/20 8:53 a.m.

In reply to Turbine :

Fly and drive

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
2/25/20 2:05 p.m.

My nephew and I went to look at one of those back in the late 90's. I think it was  an '87.  He ended up buying it cheap and it was a great car for the money.  With a few mods it was also pretty quick and still got 27-28 mpg on the highway!.  Alas the hydro boost system started leaking very badly and he didn't want to invest the time or money to fix it.

He junked it and got a Mustang GT 5.0L convertable.  

Javelin
2/25/20 2:21 p.m.

In reply to jimbbski :

They don't have hydroboost. Regular old power steering with a rack and pinion. Brakes are ABS though with an ABS pump and accumulator which can go bad. 93 Cobra master cylinder bolts in and concerts it to non-ABS for stupid cheap.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
2/25/20 9:02 p.m.

surpriseno

03Panther
03Panther Reader
2/25/20 11:04 p.m.

Only body T-Bird I liked the looks of since Ford ruined them in '58. prolly would have owned one in the 90's, but not a fan of turbos at the time. Now the SC in 89, that was way cool for the times, but didn't;t like the looks! Or I knew of a 90 with a 427 FE. Now THAT was bad azz!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NtNcnpuHV9oToazZhUch5YvGVGejrIarpqlsUfbb75TTr5dwROdFVWfm0wkvOL7g