sold

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/3/14 7:06 a.m.

Nice car. Good price. GLWS.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/3/14 7:38 a.m.

My favorite part of picture #1 is that The Duracco is still alive in the background.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
9/3/14 8:09 a.m.

Thanks guys, I started setting this car up as the do it all auto-x/hpde/daily machine but then found a house instead. House > car. I'll buy another M3 in a few years.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/14 8:23 a.m.

Whats the story on the shift knob? Compensating for something? (LOL)

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
9/3/14 8:37 a.m.

Hey now, it may not be long but at least it's narrow

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/3/14 9:07 a.m.

That is a VERY fair price. Great deal for someone out there. GLWS.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/3/14 10:31 a.m.

Damn I like the 4-door M3s of that era. Wish I had the money.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/3/14 11:08 a.m.

AAARGGHH and Im basically resigned to the fact that Im going to need another DD, and this is RIGHT up my alley...too bad SWMBO is going to want my next car to have a factory warranty. Thats basically my dream DD, and youre close...might have a discussion with the missus.

How are the pixels?

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
9/3/14 11:50 a.m.

The OBC pixels are medium-ish ok, it's readable but they're not all in place.

GCooper
GCooper New Reader
9/3/14 12:31 p.m.

Do these things go in the snow? This could end my ZHP hold out.

markwemple
markwemple Reader
9/3/14 1:03 p.m.

M3, snow. You're kidding, right? The 3 series BMW is famous for being hideous in precipitation. Modern electronics help but.....

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
9/3/14 1:40 p.m.

Consider any trades?

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
9/3/14 2:03 p.m.

The M3 does very well in the snow provided it's wearing appropriate tires. I have a second set of wheels mounted with Blizzacks which could be negotiated into the deal.

Ice racing with Furrin Group in Michigan last winter:

https://www.facebook.com/FurrinGroup

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
9/3/14 2:05 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: Consider any trades?

I need cash on this one.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
9/3/14 2:41 p.m.

You're killing me. How bad is the 5th gear detent thing? Does that make it want to drop out of gear when it's cold or something? What's the repair cost for that?

I even have the cash... oh lordy.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/3/14 2:45 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

you stay away from my car

9/3/14 2:58 p.m.
dculberson wrote: You're killing me. How bad is the 5th gear detent thing? Does that make it want to drop out of gear when it's cold or something? What's the repair cost for that? I even have the cash... oh lordy.

All it does is make the shifter not spring back to center when in neutral so it sortof languishes in front of whatever gate it was just plucked from. Normally, you have to push it over to 5th and it will spring back between 3-4 when you let go. When the detent thing occurs... it just falls towrd 5th so you have to pull it back to downshift.

I had it happen to my 98 also - it wasn't that big of a deal to drive but I was under warranty so my problem went away all magical-like. This one requires you drop the trans to fix. Here is a painfully detailed writeup... but most people I know pulled the pin, sanded it down a little and put it back in. I've never done this one myself but it's not scary at all and a good excuse for you to buy my dual clutch setup and install it while you are in there

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=398477

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
9/3/14 2:59 p.m.

Here's a thread discussing the gear shift issue, the proper term is shift pin instead of detent. Just changed that in the ad.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489800

I have done several shift pin replacements on customer cars, I missed my chance to do this when the transmission was out for the clutch. There was great sadness when I discovered it on the first test drive :)

Here's all the info on replacing the pins and sleeves. http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/bmw_diy/shift_pins/shift_pins.html

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/3/14 3:26 p.m.

I have one that has the detent problem. The only time it rears its head is if I am in 5th and go to neutral then the shifter will hang way right. As long as I go through the gears 5-4-3-N, even with the clutch pedal depressed through the cycle and not engaging each gear, the shifter finds home. I just call it part of the car personality and live with it until the trans needs to come out.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
9/4/14 11:01 a.m.
markwemple wrote: M3, snow. You're kidding, right? The 3 series BMW is famous for being hideous in precipitation. Modern electronics help but.....

Time to quit listening to whomever you were listening to....

9/4/14 11:35 a.m.
yamaha wrote:
markwemple wrote: M3, snow. You're kidding, right? The 3 series BMW is famous for being hideous in precipitation. Modern electronics help but.....
Time to quit listening to whomever you were listening to....

+1

A set of Hakkapeliitta or Blizzaks and you can keep going until the splitter becomes a plow. This, of course, is predicated on the fact that one can actually drive in the snow to begin with... something people in the frozen north oft forget our warmer brethren to the south have no berkeleying idea how to do.

thealbatross
thealbatross New Reader
9/4/14 12:04 p.m.

What's the rust situation? Any shots of underneath the car? Do you know if Ohio will issue a temporary drive away license plate?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/4/14 1:05 p.m.

You can get a 30 day tag in Ohio for $15 if you have the title signed over to you.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
9/4/14 1:08 p.m.

I can lift the car this evening to get some pictures, nothing but surface rust on fastener heads and such.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lgQAzmBnAGmAfh4fBD4ISB7SHarLto9sQ75Iqzs0DTTXoq3FRPuIHCcVmiKKx1uT