GeneMSP
GeneMSP New Reader
5/30/19 4:22 p.m.

Good afternoon,

I'm usually a lurker on here but today I'd like to list my 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege for sale on here! I'm asking $3,000 but flexible on the price because of some minor issues. Located in North Jersey but willing to deliver a reasonable distance if needed.

I’ve owned the car for almost 5 years (since July of 2014). The reason for the sale is that I’ve recently purchased an automatic Audi A4 for my daily commute. The car currently has 141,000 miles. It is a 5 speed manual transmission. It is a clean title car. I am the third owner of the car and myself and the previous owners have taken great care of the car. The car is newly inspected and is good until January 2021. 

The modifications include:

EXTERIOR/SUSPENSION:

Eibach Lowering Springs

Wheels are powdercoated Dark Titanium

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE:

Mam turbo manifold

Pope 3” downpipe

Injen cold air intake

Corksport upgraded side mount intercooler and hard piping

Full catalytic converter still on the car

Custom 2.5 inch exhaust from the cat back. (no mufflers on the car, but isn’t super loud)

Forge Wastegate (car still boosts at stock 5-6 lbs)

Stainless Steel braided brake lines

INTERIOR:

OBX Boost Vacuum Gauge on the steering column

Pioneer Head Unit

Maintenance Items done during my ownership:

New brake pads and rotors on all four corners.

New tires on all four corners. (Car does come with a set of winter wheels with winter tires equipped as well).

The flex pipe, catalytic converter and exhaust all the way back has been replaced under my ownership.

New Radiator/Coolant Flush

New rear shocks and tie rods.

Always Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil Changes

Valvoline Gear Oil change has been done under my ownership for the transmission.

The timing belt and water pump has been done by the previous owner.

Probably some misc. things I'm missing

A few small things to note:

The car daily drives 100% fine, but recently the car will sometimes stutter a bit under hard acceleration. (I'm thinking this could be because of the rich air/fuel ratio that these cars have from the factory).

The rear passenger power lock does not work (I always keep it locked, you can unlock it manually).

The rear of the car sometimes makes a clunking noise over bumps. I’ve replaced rear shocks and tie rods, so I think it may be a bushing or something similar.

The front passenger door of the car is not original to the car. My co-worker backed into my door handle and I was unable to repair it, so I purchased a new door from a car of the same color.

I'm really hoping to find another car enthusiast to own this car! Thank you!

ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
6/1/19 3:19 p.m.

This is tempting.  I loved the black 03 MSP that I had.  The clunking is likely the rear sway bar bushings.  I switched to a greasable version that stopped the clunking.  Best thing I did for my car was install a air/fuel controller that leaned out the mixture.  The car ran much better and got better MPG.

GeneMSP
GeneMSP New Reader
6/1/19 4:52 p.m.

In reply to ccrelan :

The sway bar bushings could very well be the culprit. I've seen very good things online about air/fuel controllers for this car, but I never purchased one as it was just a daily driver for me. If you'd like any additional information about the car, let me know!

GeneMSP
GeneMSP New Reader
6/11/19 5:27 p.m.

I'd really like to see another GRMer own this thing... I'm open to offers!

thebigchill
thebigchill New Reader
6/20/19 8:33 a.m.

I may be interested in this as a fun commuter.

About 8 years ago I had one with a fully built block, GT28rs and straight-cut gear box from PAR in Australia.

The clunking is the sway bars. The hesitation is likely the E36 M3 tuning, and as others said, an AFC from Split Second will fix it. Where can I see more photos?

GeneMSP
GeneMSP New Reader
6/20/19 5:27 p.m.

In reply to thebigchill :

The car actually sold last night via a Facebook Marketplace buyer! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0lLzvgW06tBkUOyuJSAL48xduGWtTucJC3lR7hutMTJATEGG2QIf63k8zXqq01Zu