failboat
failboat UberDork
3/3/19 10:16 a.m.

Price is OBO

2008 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, Golden Sand Metallic, Tan Leather interior

"She may not look like much but shes got it where it counts, kid."

OLD photo

Pics pending. Need to clean it up and snap some current photos. 

Its not exactly pretty. Some chipped paint on  one of the rear fenders, the other rear fender has some rust bubbling under the paint. Front end involved in a light collision with a spare tire on an SUV and the hood is crunched up a little bit. Failed VA state safety inspection. Flagged for a leaking steering rack. I need to get under the van to confirm. I suspect the oil leak from the seal on oil cooler may have caused this to be misdiagnosed. Sway bar end links need to be replaced. Was also flagged for a small crack in the windshield (it passed last year with this exact same crack that has not grown which is frustrating)

Extra parts: I have all the parts (OEM) for an oil filter conversion from cartridge filter to spin on filter I think which was used on 2010 vans or Mazda3's.  Also have replacement moog front sway bar bushings which IF the steering rack needs to be replaced, you'll probably have the subframe dropped a few inches and swapping these bushings should be a 5 minute job.  I have an oem style Focus ST rear motor mount which can be used as well. From what I know you just need to pull the old one off, take the old hardware and new motor mount to a hardware store, get a similar sized bolt with the correct thread pitch for the ST motor mount and its a bolt in upgrade.  

Van is lowered on Megan Racing Springs. I have the OEM springs. The rear shocks are adjustable Koni Yellows and they have been working great. The alignment is just some toe adjustments (no camber arms added on the rear) and as long as you rotate tires every 5k miles you can easily get 40k miles out of a set of all seasons and the wear is okay. 

The Good: left and right motor mounts replaced in the past year.  New brakes all around last year including 1 rear caliper was replaced as it the old one seized.  (only 10 k miles put on the van since last year)  Tires I would have to check but I think they have maybe 20k miles on them and a ton of tread left. Plugs, thermostat and thermostat housing, serpentine belt, and coolant changed around 110k miles. Drives and shifts smooth. Side and rear windows all tinted to 35%

For the mechanically inclined this thing will be a good runner for many years to come I am confident of it.  Suspension just a little clunky at the moment understandably due to the swaybars. Our family is outgrowing it and it did not make sense to pay for the repairs, we opted to get a bigger van. 

If you are even remotely interested please contact me and lets see what we can work out. I don't really have space to keep it around in the long term. Because of the way it looks no one even wants it as a trade in and I feel like functionally it is just way too good to consider scrappingg. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
3/3/19 11:23 a.m.

I don’t need another 5 but I would take the oil filter, motor mount and bushings off your hands.

failboat
failboat UberDork
3/3/19 11:44 a.m.

Will let you know, if I dont get any interest in a few weeks my plans may change to taking whatever carmax will give me

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/3/19 6:09 p.m.

Damn, I don’t think I need this but that’s a heckuva deal.  A solid runner with pretty minor mechanical needs for a grand?  Dude, I wish I could find those around here.

failboat
failboat UberDork
3/3/19 9:25 p.m.

People just see this and they dont want anything to do with it. If you can live w something thats not a looker but is reliable transportation this is a great little wagon. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/19 9:36 p.m.

Wish you were close to tx. I'd dd this. If it could pass va inspection I'd buy it for my brother in Virginia.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/19 10:34 p.m.

If you start parting it out I claim the rear shocks and front lip...

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
3/4/19 6:20 a.m.

Oh man....

The crack in windshield wouldn't even be an issue here in ATL.  Any CEL on, as that's the only thing that matters for inspection here.  How bad is the oil or steering rack leak?  How is the interior?  Working a/c?  Anything else of note, especially for someone with relatively limited mechanical skills and limited time?

This is so tempting for so many reasons for me.  Obviously by the tag and add, you're in VA, but where?  Trying to see how far from ATL you are.  You can reply here or PM me if you want.

failboat
failboat UberDork
3/4/19 9:01 a.m.

I am in northern VA about an hour west of DC. About a 30-40 min drive from Dulles Airport. 

NO CELs at all. 

Interior is nice shape. AC works great. Drivers side heated seat does not work.  The crack in the windshield is really small, less than 3 inches on the passenger side (aka drivers side wiper does not touch it). I can get a photo this week. 

So the oil cooler leak, its the seal on the oil cooler where it mounts to the oil filter housing, As I said I have a new seal, and some new OEM parts from a newer 5 to convert to a spin on filter instead of cartridge filter. It leaked last winter, then when the temp warmed up it did not leak at all thru spring, summer, and fall.  I postponed the repair as a result.  Also looks a slight hassle to get to the 15mm bolt on top of the oil cooler.  I know I bookmarked a thread on mazdas247 on the conversion process I can dig up. 

Will try to inspect underneath next weekend or so to really see if I see any sort of leak on the steering rack. If there is, I expect it to be really minor, or perhaps just a hose or something. My suspicion is maybe its just residual oil from the oil cooler is on the rack. 

Javelin, wouldnt even be worth shipping the "front lip" they are cheap $35 splitters off ebay. :). Keeps the bumper from scraping the paint on steep approaches really. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/4/19 9:09 a.m.

In reply to failboat :

Automatic or manual transmission (sorry if already stated, and I'm too dense to realize it)

If Klayfish passes, I may be interested.

failboat
failboat UberDork
3/4/19 9:18 a.m.

You are correct, I neglected to mention it is a 5 speed Automatic Transmission.  Grand Touring trim not offered with a Manual in the US, but it would be cool to swap one!

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
3/4/19 9:30 a.m.

Does it leak to where you have to add oil fairly often, or just seeping?  I've been poking around for nearly a year for a low cost reliable car.  Really only been looking on GRM boards, as I don't want to dive into the CL cess pool.  Oldest son turns 15 in just 3 weeks, which means he can get a permit. 

I'll try to shoot you a PM, but it never seems to work for me. 

failboat
failboat UberDork
3/4/19 9:43 a.m.

It is seeping. I have not had to add oil. It seeps for a few months in the winter so yes the undertray and bottom of engine get oily and I  get a couple drips in the garage as a result. I can shoot a photo of the piece of cardboard in the garage which its parked in every night to give you a better idea. Its not bad, I am just trying to be overly upfront about everything in my disclosure. 

I will try to send you a PM Klayfish. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/19 2:07 p.m.

If klayfish passes, keep me in the loop.  Need a reliable car for my cousin in june, but if it’s good enough for someone to take from ohio to colorado and then use around town while he works on his masters degree then i’m very interested and can sit on it for him.  

failboat
failboat UberDork
3/7/19 2:43 p.m.

I sent pm's to a Indy Guy and Patrick. Check your emails yes

a couple current pics uploaded a few days ago. Should be getting some more over the weekend and next week. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/themattbaird/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i4cncdydfxgGHE1lwDWnin2oDNdacrC1JqcpOkkcznCifsusyI4tfVEQAmBvPsvr