Jah29
Jah29 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/1/19 4:21 p.m.

Challendge LS400 1997 176,211 miles  $750obo

Located in Leesburg, VA

jahughes@mindspring.com

Great Condition other than rust on the fender lip on the driversside rear wheel well and super-slow powersteering leak(easier to top off fluids quarterly than fix.)  

This is a Lexus so I would expect it could probably be a daily driver for another 100k miles.

My buddy had two of these he needed to get rid of quick.  He sold one to a neighbor for $1000.  This one needed the cracked EGR pipe replaced, a $875 fix at the dealer.  He let me have it for $1000-$875= $125!!!  

I have $125+$75EGRpipe+$550 coilovers= $750 in the car.

It’s a challenge car now because I cut a fist size hole in the passenger footwell to replace the pipe in 40 minutes, instead of dropping the transmission like the factory service manual suggested.  The hole has been covered with sheetmetal JBwelded into place and seam sealer over the top.

To continue the challenge build I replaced the rubber rear subframe bushings with aluminum because I wanted to test out my new lathe.  It also has ksport coilovers I purchased on ebay.  AC has been drained, but I didn’t get to removing the hardware.  Could be recharged and working again if you want.  Otherwise nothing has been done to the car.

Why this is a good challenge car:

1. 280 HP
  2. Lexus overengineering
  3. as much camber as you want for the autocross if you keep lowering it.  A arm suspension all 4 corners
  4. could probably sell it on craigslist for more than I’m asking if you change your mind:)

why this is a bad challenge car:

1. nearly 3800lbs.
  2. pretty slow steering ratio for autocross
  3. need much wider wheels for the autocross.
  4. pretty nice car to cut up and make into a racecar.

$750 obo.  In keeping with the spirit of the challenge, I want the bill of sale to say $750 even if I end up selling it for less.   You’ll have to talk me out of that.

Currently putting the interior back into the car.  Will get VA state inspection as soon as I can.  Should be able to drive it home, but I haven’t run it in about a year…

thanks for looking.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
6/1/19 5:08 p.m.

Going to email you as soon as I get home

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
6/1/19 9:03 p.m.

I am pretending not to see this. 

Edit: message sent

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/1/19 9:55 p.m.

Great cars. I put probably a hundred thousand miles on a "used up" one of these and sold it to a friend cheap and he drove it forever.

I can't believe they tell you to drop the transmission to do the EGR pipe. I did the timing belt service and starter at the same time on mine, and found a weak spot in the EGR pipe and swapped it while I was at it. No fuss, no muss. Well, I may have sworn at the car and nursed a hand cramp for a while but that's par for the course in modern v8 powered cars.

Jah29
Jah29 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/13/19 12:12 p.m.

Sold Sold Sold Sold

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
6/13/19 6:57 p.m.

Thanks!!  It's going to make one 15 year old a very happy kid!

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/13/19 7:54 p.m.

Yessssssss

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8N3P3S0czSv3zvqEwLhAzIYZmVvgLpiprztP6WTXpVDKR26Y8aO2ZgI9aAILYqeW