Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/20 3:11 p.m.
128racecar
128racecar Reader
9/27/20 3:28 p.m.

That rear edge of the trunk lid is a little beyond "surface"...cheeky

But you know the old saying: "Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone".

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/27/20 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Out of curiosity I wonder how little that has depreciated from its original sale price?  I understand about inflation and all that. But in those days a 12% discount off list was normal for Corvairs. GM was aiming at the VW market and willing to sell below cost to capture that market.   

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/28/20 1:51 a.m.

Ads that say 65000 original miles on a car with a 5 digit odo always annoy me some. But surface rust only in the same ad... the guy prolly believes both!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/28/20 4:27 a.m.

I wonder what a Leaf swapped Corvair would be like

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/20 8:54 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

Awesome.

It would be awesome

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/28/20 9:32 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Awesome.

It would be awesome

I mean, it strikes me as one of the few rear-mid engined cars that could swallow the battery packs.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/20 9:42 a.m.

Awesome.

It would be awesome

I mean, it strikes me as one of the few rear-mid engined cars that could swallow the battery packs.

may i present the ElectroVair (GM concept vehicle from BITD)

9/28/20 9:43 a.m.

to the OP, the advertised car will either sell for $500 or continue to rot in place until seller's heirs have it hauled away as scrap or just let it continue to rot in place.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/28/20 11:17 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Can you actually get something like that for $500? It looks like all the pieces are actually there. The $500 Corvairs I see around here are usually missing a motor and a lot of other stuff, and they are still very firm on the price. And rebuildable motors seem to be very hard to find. It's like the airplane and dune buggy guys got them all. 

9/28/20 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

absolutely.  not every day, and not in every city all at once, but at least 100 per year nationwide based on my informal research and foggy memory.  i paid $100 for monzora as a roller with significantly less rust than this "surface rust only" pos, all trim intact.  i see base and 110hp engines (not 140s and turbos) available for anywhere from $100 (realistic) to $1000 (dreaming IMO).

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/28/20 12:26 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Awesome.

It would be awesome

may i present the ElectroVair (GM concept vehicle from BITD)

so, basically a leaf-swapped corvair back in 1966 (100hp, and 80miles of range)!   surprise

I understand why they put stuff were they did.  but, if I did a leaf (or Volt) drivetrain in, I'd probably ditch the rear seat and try to put as much of the batteries where they were.  That is, however, a very big IF.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/28/20 12:53 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Snowdoggie :

absolutely.  not every day, and not in every city all at once, but at least 100 per year nationwide based on my informal research and foggy memory.  i paid $100 for monzora as a roller with significantly less rust than this "surface rust only" pos, all trim intact.  i see base and 110hp engines (not 140s and turbos) available for anywhere from $100 (realistic) to $1000 (dreaming IMO).

One guy had a Monza Spyder rusted shell with no engine, no transaxle and no rear suspension listed for $500 firm. Kind of like a Lotus Europa I used to have. It sat out in East Texas for years and may still be out there for all I know.  I looked at another '65 rustbucket that not only had no engine but somebody at one point took every piece off of the dash board and threw it away, then tossed the dashboard. I have seen several like this and I don't get it. Were these guys planning a race car with an aluminum dash and SW gauges or something when they ran out of money to keep going with the project? I have seen several where they take the motor apart, piece by piece and throw the pieces in the trunk and on top of the rotted away back seat. There are usually a number of dead animals back there too. Facebook has plenty of crackpipe priced half finished projects and cars that could be restored except for the fact that the owner wants to part it out and hopes to make a bundle. Six months later they will sell you the car for over 1K with all the good parts missing and think they are doing you a favor. The sad thing is that sometimes the guy says he is selling it for a Father or a Grandfather who can no longer work on or drive the car. 

If I could actually find a '65 or later 2 door around here with all the parts included for $500 I would be all over it. My dad had two of these around the house when I was growing up. 

9/28/20 1:13 p.m.

if you have a chapter of the Corvair Society of America within reasonable-to-you distance, go to a meeting and see who drives the weather-dependent show car and who drives the driver.  talk to the guy who drives the driver.  he knows where the cheap stuff is.

CORSA chapter list

also, ignore the old berkeleys who piss and moan about the cost of everything because they're on SS now.  

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/28/20 5:58 p.m.

Never thought about a E-Vair. Great platform.

thanks for the link to to electrovair  cool stuff

9/28/20 6:09 p.m.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/20 9:57 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Does the Electrovair still exist? Google is failing me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s0b8tCSCV40Z5HMkkoZ1zgXwLqhjkzcS4bLHDhLQknZF9AuwVBHqKfbhpeNg9pWo