petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/14 10:55 a.m.

As much as I'd like to keep this thing and work on it if/when I retire ~20+ years from now, it looks like we'll be selling our old house, which means I'll be losing my garage space(until I can build a newer/better/bigger garage! ). So rather than revive my old $201X f/s thread, I'll just put this here for one lump sum.

Here's what you get for $2800:

1927 Lotus Europa Federal Twin Cam

The car is bone stock and "ran when parked"(circa 1983).

Clear title in my name.

The engine as-is, complete and in non-running condition, would bring $1500-$2000 from the vintage racer & Elan crowd, should you choose to swap something else in or part it out.

The seats are in great condition with one split on a bolster seam that could easily be repaired. These would bring $400-$500 for the pair, if not more.

Both bumpers are straight with good chrome, not quite 100% concours quality, but these would look nice on a clean restored driver. I've been offered $200+ for each and turned it down.(The ones in the pics above are not the good bumpers, I kept the bumpers off the parts car when I sold it. They are much nicer.)

The body is in good condition, with only a spot below the front grill and on the corner of the passenger's door needing fiberglass repair. There are spider cracks and the stock gel-coat is faded in places, but it's all original.

The interior has no major problems. I have a brand new wood dash to replace the stock one which is splitting and peeling. The dash pad, center console, door cards etc. are all pretty nice with no major problems.

I have all 4 stock wheels for the car.

Also included is a spare Type-352 transmission and shift linkage, which fits the new frame above. I've cleaned it since this pic.

Brand new frame, braces, and coolant tubes

Good luck finding another stock frame. Spyder chassis are about $5k from the UK, and while arguably better, aren't original. I bet you could get $1500-$2k for this.

Brand new windshield

These are only shipped over from the UK every few years. I bought this a couple years ago and it's never been out of the shipping crate. I paid $525 for it, and that was one of the cheapest ones I could find.

Located in east-central Illinois, about 120-miles from Chicago, 90-miles from Indy, or 160-miles from St. Louis. Delivery possible. Would consider trades - music gear, antiques, running/driving/titled vehicles, etc. More pics available.

pappatho
pappatho New Reader
5/17/14 11:29 a.m.

PM sent.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
5/20/14 7:38 a.m.

The company I work for just sent me the old man letter whereby I can cash out 25% of my ESOP stock. This is so tempting, but I still do not have any room for another project.

TC
TC New Reader
5/20/14 5:14 p.m.

I'm surprised you still have it Pete! Will be a screaming deal for someone.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Reader
5/20/14 5:59 p.m.

So much want it hurts

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
5/20/14 8:30 p.m.

Kinda glad I had my project lotuses confused when you offered this long ago against the Yugo. I was thinking of a much rougher project....this would have cause me trouble. I'd say it still could but looks like you are in a situation where you can't take on another car right now :)

petegossett
5/21/14 5:42 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

That's ok, I keep trying to figure out the logistics of getting your RV, Mercury, & YFH home to IL in one trip… Reality has no bearing on it whatsoever.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
5/21/14 7:09 a.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to JThw8: That's ok, I keep trying to figure out the logistics of getting your RV, Mercury, & YFH home to IL in one trip… Reality has no bearing on it whatsoever.

Easy, we cut open the back of the RV and drive the Yugo up into it then get a tow bar for the wagon so you can tow it behind the RV :) Might be slow going up the mountains...

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
5/22/14 9:34 a.m.

Thank you Pete for posting this when I don't have spare money.....seriously, thank you.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
5/22/14 9:45 a.m.

How rusty is the frame that's on the car?

Can a 6' tall person fit inside it?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
5/22/14 9:58 a.m.
ryanty22 wrote: So much want it hurts

+1. I can almost make this happen $-wise... but no room and no way to geet it to PA.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
5/22/14 9:58 a.m.

Trade for my Mustang and keep the extra frame and transmission to make up the difference?

petegossett
5/22/14 11:27 a.m.

As of now it's sold to a local GRMer/autocrosser/all around cool car-guy pending delivery this weekend. So as long as he doesn't go "Oh my god, what have I done!!?!?!" when he sees it, it should have a new home soon.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
5/22/14 12:17 p.m.

Good, good.. what a relief.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
5/22/14 12:25 p.m.

For sure

petegossett
5/24/14 8:48 p.m.

Sold! Delivered to the new owner today.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
5/26/14 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Culberson: I don't know how tall they were, but, if it helps, I once personally saw a Europa that contained two adult humans AND an Old English Sheepdog.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
5/26/14 7:17 p.m.

Who's the lucky sucker?

petegossett
5/27/14 5:09 a.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non:

I'm not spoiling that surprise…

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
5/27/14 7:20 a.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: In reply to Mr. Culberson: I don't know how tall they were, but, if it helps, I once personally saw a Europa that contained two adult humans AND an Old English Sheepdog.

Tom McCahill fit into one for his Mechanix Illustrated road test.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SwWRU5G3VtM15HWKV33w2ejtQo9c08DkwoB7g419OzxzaHgZeld8mAHqWVoxvTK3