TA_
TA_ New Reader
4/2/19 1:56 p.m.

Hi GRM,

It's time to become more practical and get rid of some toys.  I'm selling my 1990 Mazda Miata with a 5.0 V8, WC T5 transmission and 7.5 T-bird rear end with LSD.  It has always been an Arizona car and has zero rust.

The car uses most of the Monster Miata catalogue including axles and front Wilwood brakes.  

I did not build the car; however, I did get a stack of receipts and records.  

Issues: if your county requires emissions, it won't pass as-is.  There is an inoperative digital speedometer; therefore, mileage is unknown.  It has power steering and A/C, but neither work.  It could use an expert to tune it up.  It died on track at the end of a recent track day.  I bump started it then it made the drive home without issue.  The starter had failed, and the new battery turned out to be faulty.  It seems to run ok and is crazy fast, but I'm sure it could be better.

It received a new battery and starter last week.  

$6500

TA_
TA_ New Reader
4/2/19 1:58 p.m.

TA_
TA_ New Reader
4/2/19 2:09 p.m.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/2/19 6:07 p.m.

Ooohhhh....

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/2/19 9:00 p.m.

This is awesome. I wish I was in a position to pick this up. Seems like a great deal.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/3/19 7:23 a.m.

That is pretty dang cool.  GLWS.  I wish I had the money to burn.  

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/5/19 10:13 a.m.

Drool

TA_
TA_ New Reader
4/5/19 5:13 p.m.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Update: I did find rust.  The piece of flat stock directly underneath the radiator is rusty for some reason.  I can't find any other rust.  We went under the car and put a wrench on every bolt.  Also, I noticed some drips on the concrete after the first couple of drives.  It had been sitting for awhile.  I've been driving it frequently this week, and it appears to be getting better.

$7500

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
4/8/19 8:10 a.m.

Any idea what the issues are with the power steering and AC?  Have they ever worked?  Is the motor stock or modified?  Any idea of the miles on the motor?  I drove one of these and it was crazy.  I passed on that one because it had no provision for AC.  If this one can be made to work...

What’s the deal with the speedo? Can’t it be made to work with the ford tranny?

God, I really want this...

Someone buy my ‘99 FRC Vette so I can have room in the garage for this!

TA_
TA_ New Reader
4/11/19 10:27 a.m.

Sorry for the delay.  Haven't been able to get in contact with the builder.  I'll tell you what I was told by the previous owner.

It was advertised as having working power steering, but it has never worked for me.  My best guess is that it may need a new rack.  The motor was built by a shop in Phoenix in 2013.  It's not stock, but it's pretty mild.  IIRC, it has something like 30k miles on it.  As for the speedo, the previous owner said all it needed was a cable.  

For the A/C, I don't know.  My best guess would be that it did work at one point.

I was hopeful that I could have these questions answered by the builder, but it's not looking likely.

TA_
TA_ New Reader
4/16/19 7:08 p.m.

$7000

TA_
TA_ New Reader
4/22/19 2:48 p.m.

$6500

This is the final price drop.  I'm not willing to take any more of a loss than that.

nbell
nbell
5/11/19 3:26 p.m.

Is this still available?

old_
old_ HalfDork
5/11/19 7:31 p.m.

In reply to TA_ :

Few other questions:

Is the hard top included?

Is there a soft top? Condition of soft top? 

Stock suspension?

Tubular headers?

Iron heads?

Is there an A/C condenser? I don't think I see one, or a/c lines for that matter. They could be out if view in the engine pic but if they don't exist obviously the a/c has no chance of working.

TA_
TA_ New Reader
5/15/19 2:20 p.m.
old_ said:

In reply to TA_ :

Few other questions:

Is the hard top included?

Is there a soft top? Condition of soft top? 

Stock suspension?

Tubular headers?

Iron heads?

Is there an A/C condenser? I don't think I see one, or a/c lines for that matter. They could be out if view in the engine pic but if they don't exist obviously the a/c has no chance of working.

The hard top is included.  There is a soft top; it's a newer aftermarket one in good condition.  Suspension in the front is Monster Miata (KYB shocks with Monster Miata springs which I believe are from the rear of a Taurus wagon).  The rear are Koni Race coilovers.  I don't know the answer to the other questions, although I do have the receipt for the motor, so maybe the shop could clarify.  

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
5/19/19 9:01 a.m.

I can't believe this hasn't sold.  

I'd offer my NB as a partial trade, but it's a VVT/manual swap into an automatic '99 and wouldn't pass emissions in Tucson.

old_
old_ HalfDork
5/19/19 11:21 a.m.

I'd buy it right now if it was closer. Anyone have an empty trailer heading to Nebraska? laugh

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
5/20/19 11:31 a.m.

Damn, this is  a good deal. Were I closer with more storage space, I'd be all over this. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/3/19 4:09 p.m.

In reply to TA_ :

Will it make a fly and drive to Dallas, TX?  If so, I’m likely your buyer.

I’d hate to sell 4 ounces of gold...  but damn.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/5/19 8:58 p.m.

This car is an awesome deal.  Someone needs to buy it, but after a lot of soul searching, it isn't for me.  From all the photos TA_ sent it appears to be a 100% complete Monster Motorsports kit.  This car is a blank canvas of a V8 Miata just waiting for a new owner and a total bargain.  If my driveway weren't overflowing, the option of fixing it up a bit and flipping it for a profit is a very real possibility.  I'd much prefer to see a GRMer buy it, fix it to fit their personality, and drive the E36 M3 out of it. 

Usversusthem
Usversusthem
6/30/19 11:04 p.m.

Is the car still available? Could you send me contact info on here or to my email at ford4life6696@msn.com

Usversusthem
Usversusthem New Reader
6/30/19 11:17 p.m.

In reply to TA_ :

Please send it to my email it looks like I can't private message you unfortunately, thanks again for your time - Brett

JK
JK
7/12/19 2:01 a.m.

In reply to TA_ :

Is this still available? Very keen on it.

TA_
TA_ New Reader
7/13/19 3:10 a.m.

Sold

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VjQ4aEX6wjgrZQaWudWvKP9YYhYCKaolUiOWT2JMcpFdXTz4ch2ZXv1ueJquHaX4