Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/10/20 9:37 a.m.
dettonator20
dettonator20 New Reader
7/10/20 9:56 a.m.

Wow, that'll get you noticed! I believe those are either old movie seats or old school auditorium ones.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/10/20 10:01 a.m.

I do like the wireframe hood

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/20 10:06 a.m.

Put it together more or less (like how he could not even bother to cut the dash to size) took one drive and realized how awful it was and sold it. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/10/20 10:42 a.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

Put it together more or less (like how he could not even bother to cut the dash to size) took one drive and realized how awful it was and sold it. 

I think get knocked in the head by faux chandeliers every time you stopped would get old fast

This is exactly where the rat rod thing looses me. Designed to fall apart/cut/impale you even in a low speed collision. No Bueno!

Fueled by Caffeine
7/10/20 10:49 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

I agree.  I like the idea of a vintage dirt car on a modern chassis...  but these "style" elements are stupid.. 

Infact I saw today that a local hotrodder was hit in his rat rod truck a 49ish chevy...  It was flat out destroyed.  He's in the hospital for a long time and his kid(in the passenger seat) was much luckier..  I'll see if I can find pictures

see if that works  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/926993740730797/permalink/3152665378163611/

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/20 10:51 a.m.

actually, if you ditched the headlights, huge radiator, grill, front bumper, wire frame hood, I think that looks sweet. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/10/20 10:55 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

actually, if you ditched the headlights, huge radiator, grill, front bumper, wire frame hood, I think that looks sweet. 

$3500 buy in
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/unspecified/500423.html

Fueled by Caffeine
7/10/20 11:03 a.m.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/for/d/princeton-1934-ford-vintage-modified/7134410258.html

I'm pretty sure you could get that registered in minnesota

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/20 11:46 a.m.

I think movie theater seats are the budget version of surplus bomber seats.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/10/20 12:23 p.m.

this reminds me of people who get all the varieties of plastic surgery. It's like they stare and stare at one particular thing, like droopy cheeks, until they pay to have someone tighten those up. Then they stare at their nose and have someone move it around. Then another and another -- and they never step back a few feet and look into a mirror and realize they've paid tons of money to look like a monstrosity.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/10/20 12:26 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo and Fueled by Caffeine:

Those are cool.  That... thing in the original post is an abomination.  And not a good one like The Abomination.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/10/20 12:34 p.m.

for posterity's sake

Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

I agree.  I like the idea of a vintage dirt car on a modern chassis...  but these "style" elements are stupid.. 

Infact I saw today that a local hotrodder was hit in his rat rod truck a 49ish chevy...  It was flat out destroyed.  He's in the hospital for a long time and his kid(in the passenger seat) was much luckier..  I'll see if I can find pictures

see if that works  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/926993740730797/permalink/3152665378163611/

Considering it was a head on collision, that actually crumpled very well. The passenger compartment stayed mostly together. A modern collapsible steering column and modern seat belts and I bet he would have walked away from it. 

Fueled by Caffeine
7/10/20 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

I disagree. That's pretty terrible and by the looks on it, was relatively low speed with a more modern truck type vehicle.  Look how much the peddles moved. They should be well and under the dash.  The steering wheel was probably bent up during the extraction of the victim. It was probably in his face based upon the injuries. 

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/20 1:12 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

Relevant sticker on the windshield. 

Fueled by Caffeine
7/10/20 1:43 p.m.

" My brother has a broken femur, knee cap, pelvis, compound fracture in his arm, lots of cuts, scrapes and bruising. "

I'm no accident expert. But broken leg, knee and pelvis means lots of cabin intrusion. 

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

The pedals moved when the fire wall did. You can see where the supercharger pushed the center of the dash back as the engine moved back. There is still plenty of foot room and he had no foot injuries. What put him him up is the steering wheel when it punched him in the gut, upper legs and hips. That's pretty classic steering wheel deformation for wrecks in the 60s and 70s. As bent as it is I wonder if he had a belt on at all because it looks like his head and or arms may have also hit the windshield. 

A little more FB digging shows it was a broadside instead of a head on. Someone pulled out in front of him in a 60 mph speed zone. So a fairly high speed crash. At any speed above 40 that truck did an amazing job of staying together considering it was built 73 years ago and the phrase crumple zone hadn't even been invented yet. 

The injury list reads like neither one of them had seatbelts on. The kid:  broken nose, five fractures in his face, a broken tibia, bruising and swelling. The driver: broken femur, knee cap, pelvis, compound fracture in his arm, lots of cuts, scrapes and bruising. 

Fueled by Caffeine
7/10/20 2:47 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

i disagree.. the truck did a poor job of protecting the occupants.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/20 3:14 p.m.

I could undo the bad easily and wind up with something really cool.  Real seats, ditch the fenders, build a dirt car type nose, normal headlights, make things not kill me, done.  

Nick Venero
Nick Venero GRM+ Memberand None
7/10/20 3:23 p.m.

That car looks like it could be a strong case for addition by subtraction. If you took a lot of the extras off that were added it could be a cool vintage ex-racer. The seats would have to go, the visor, the rear window infill, the head lights, the interior lights, maybe the continental kit. There are some cool bones under the "stuff".

I also think any car without seatbelts is a bad idea... :-)

Nick

V12
V12 New Reader
7/10/20 6:12 p.m.

Hard to see if there are seatbelt mounting points.  I'll guess no seatbelts.  

As for the broken pelvis:  That isn't fun.  Worst 6 months of my life. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/11/20 6:56 p.m.

Another case of putting in a huge amount of effort to make it look like you didn't put in any effort. Builds like this have turned rat rods into a caricature. 
I feel for the talented builders that are just shaking thier heads at stuff like this. 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
7/11/20 9:57 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

That's right... I now use jalopy to describe the cool ones. Making a car look stupid just for the sake of stupid is... well,    stupid. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aZQMrS0ZbDPKc4KN7jj7JwJ86B351QVs9rlGli7up8ulWu5duI5ett9RSODkUB2R