1 2 3
Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/29/19 11:05 a.m.

DAMAGE UPDATE: I got the hood off today. I have pics of the subframe damage below. The crumple zone in the driver-front side is...crumpled a couple of inches. More importantly, the subframe rails now appear to be mis-aligned by about 1/2 inch. You can see this very clearly as the red crossbrace in the engine bay is now bent by that amount. The alternator/pulley is making the wonky noise but, as I said, still appears to be working. Finally, I managed to crack the windshield getting the hood off (sad trombone).

I had some discussion up on the main board about what to do with my now-damaged disposable 2007 Pontiac Solstice 2.4 N/A. Folks suggested putting it up here for sale so heregoes! Pics and price at the bottom. Located in Washington, DC, and I *am* willing to trailer the car to you up to ~4 hours each way. The car is no longer registered but it passed DC inspection last year. Let me know if you have any questions!

Background: I bought the Solstice two years ago from my neighbor for $2,000 to use as a beginner track car which was not a Miata as I am too tall for an NA/NB without dropping the floor. I had Piper Motorsport build a 5-point roll bar which goes into the trunk and installed race seats and harnesses, as well as a removable hardtop. It is/was a really fun beginner track car! It does not class well in SCCA/NASA, unfortunately, but it's decently quick on a tight track. 1:42 at Dominion or 1:32 at Summit Main, while at a fast place like VIR I was more like ~above 2:20 (maybe 2:23? I didn't write it down the time I was there).

With a full tank of gas and 215 pounds of me in it, the car scaled at 3,020. The car has 53,255 miles on it, including ~20 hours on track. I have changed the engine oil and filter every 2 hours on track and done normal track things like run HP+ brake pads and Motul RBF DOT 4 fluid.

Damage: A couple of weeks ago I put it into the tires at Dominion Raceway. I went into turn 1 too fast and on exit my right tires hit the gravel and I spun. I went nose-first into the tire barrier at maybe 30mph. The damage is, as far as I can tell, not *too* bad, probably mostly body damage; I drove it off track with no fluids leaking. Having said that:

(1) One of the hood latches is stuck and I have yet to cut it off to look inside. I figured I would list it here before chopping anything.

(2) The alternator pulley is making a wonky noise. Not having looked inside I'm not sure what's up, but there's no warning light and the car starts up, runs and drives just fine.

I don't know that it is worth it to me to pay someone else to fix it up. I don't have any welding or subframe-hammering experience, so for me it means paying the man, and I am thinking the funds would better be deployed towards a new ride.

Pics:

I can take more pics if folks want them. Edit: added pics of how the hardtop bolts to the A-Pillar.

Pricing:

I have  some items on the car which I can take out and sell separately, or sell to you all-in-one! I would prefer to sell the whole thing to you, but I will also sell off the parts and sell you the rest. The aftermarket stuff is:

Seats (Kirkey Road Race Intermediate w/ covers - on 15'' and one 16'' I sold the stock seats, however!) - $200/each

Harnesses (G-Force 5-Point - car has hardware for 6-points welded into it, however) - $25/each

Sparco steering wheel and NRG quick-release - $50

Hardtop (I sold the convertible top!) - $400

Larger brake fluid reservoir (not installed) - $30

OZ Ultreleggera 18X8 wheels, with or without the Nitto NT01 tires mounted - $700 wheels/$200 tires

Stock wheels and almost-new Veredstein all-season tires - comes with the car! (worth $200wheels/$200 tires)

GMPP cold air intake - $75

I got a quote from an online scrap-buyer for $680 for the car, and I could sell all that stuff above for close to $2,000. For a GRM-er, the whole thing is yours for the price I got into the car originally, $2,000. I don't know how the challenge works, but if you need to mix-and-match from the above to get it into your challenge budget I would be happy to chat.

Thanks everyone!

Dave

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
5/29/19 11:16 a.m.

If you were closer I'd have a problem.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/29/19 11:53 a.m.

Great deal and looks very fixable. 

Edit: also, maybe an opportunity to make a homemade cf front clip that rocks forward like an e-type (and project binky)???

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
5/29/19 12:22 p.m.

Do you have any idea on the subframe damage?  Pictures?  

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/29/19 12:36 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

No, it can't be too bad as the wheel arch is still kind of ok. I can chop the hood off and take pictures? Let me know.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/29/19 12:37 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Want to have a problem :) I could meet you halfway, like Asheville...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/29/19 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Dave M :

For Challenge reasons, would you please as the seller put a price on the factory alloys and a price on the all seasons?  

Is the hard top a relatively simple un-bolt affair?  Meaning, how hard would it be to drive w/o the top for a day?  

Dave
Dave Reader
5/29/19 1:14 p.m.

If you can't sell it here I bet one of the Locost guys would buy it for a donor. http://locostusa.com/forums/

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/29/19 1:27 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Dave M :

For Challenge reasons, would you please as the seller put a price on the factory alloys and a price on the all seasons?  

Is the hard top a relatively simple un-bolt affair?  Meaning, how hard would it be to drive w/o the top for a day?  

I added a price on those.

Regarding the hard top, I posted a couple of pictures of how it is bolted to the A-pillar. There are 7 bolts holding it to the A-pillar and 4 holding it to the rollbar. The top originally came with a hook mechanism to slot into where the convertible top attaches, so you could easily use that and leave the bolts off, or just keep the 4 rear bots.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/29/19 1:41 p.m.

I am sadly not going to be the guy for this Challenge car but if anyone is looking for one, here is some of the recipe of how you could do it...

• $2,000 car and whole package
  • -200 for one seat (compete with just one)
  • -25 for one harness belt off
  • -400 compete for that one weekend w/o the hardtop
  • -30 reservoir that is not installed
  • -200 for the Nito tires since race tires are budget exempt
  • -200 for stock tires that do not go down the track
  • -200 for stock wheels that do not go down the track

$1,255 off the budget which means you then have that $1,255 to fix the bodywork.  

My bet is that the bumper cover can be saved/repaired.  If not, I found used items for $267.  I found full price, junkyard hoods for $600.  I bet there is a cheaper way.  

If you need more for the budget, do not run the $700 18"ers and instead run the $200 factory alloys which would gain you $500 more for the budget.   This would then mean that you have $1,755 to fix the bodywork and/or make improvements.  This really means you have a $245 car...a whole running car.  

So, what is the risk?  I suspect not much since if the whole thing goes belly up, the seller thinks he can get these prices via parts so you too should be able to get your money back via parts.  

The best part (to me) is though this is a car that has been in an accident, it is not a salvage title so once the body work is done and post Challenge you should be able to get your money all back and maybe even a tidy profit.  Remember, this car has only 53k miles and being DC is a generally low/no rust area.  

Wow.  I really should jump on this myself.  

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/29/19 2:06 p.m.

Email sent, trying to connect you with a friend who is building one of these but not on the forum

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/29/19 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Thanks, let me know! Dave

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/29/19 3:47 p.m.

I never got anything, did you get my email?   My email address is abbottcd at the gmails, please and thanks. 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/29/19 4:03 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Just found it in the spam folder! Sorry about that.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
5/29/19 6:11 p.m.

Seems like you will sell the whole car... But if you do part it out i would take the steering wheel.

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
5/29/19 6:53 p.m.

awsome Deal, the Driver Door Gap Tells me It will buff out.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/19 7:47 p.m.

I wish i could put myself in line for this, but i have a feeing i’m going to spend a lot of money i don’t have this week

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
5/29/19 8:28 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Do it John!!!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
5/30/19 6:41 a.m.

Mrs. VCH actually really likes these.  if it showed up at our doorstep (71.7 miles away from Washington, DC, according to googles...) on a trailer I have a feeling I'd be counting out fresh, crisp $100 bills...

*hint hint*

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/30/19 7:54 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Mrs. VCH actually really likes these.  if it showed up at our doorstep (71.7 miles away from Washington, DC, according to googles...) on a trailer I have a feeling I'd be counting out fresh, crisp $100 bills...

*hint hint*

At that distance I deliver! Send me a PM if you're interested.... Also, please let me know if you want me to cut the hood open and take pictures of the engine bay.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/30/19 6:20 p.m.

Bumping this up. The hood will come off this weekend, with pics to follow!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/30/19 9:15 p.m.

So Sonic's friend is a no go? That's bad for my wallet...

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/30/19 10:11 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Since he's in SLC I think it might be too far for him. I'll keep the post updated until it's gone!

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/31/19 1:35 p.m.

Bumping up! I'm going to take the mallet and prybar to the hood tomorrow morning (angle grinder if those fail) and take pics of the engine bay.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
6/1/19 3:12 p.m.

See the top - I have photos and a video of the engine bay and a complete description of the damage!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TAFjkkcM3YMX0Ka427p14RtUkBnQjUADrd1w11SwApuO1wPweonwNs5eMH3OyJzb