1 2 3 4 5
scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
2/16/19 10:54 p.m.

That Fairlane looks almost like the one I had .  Thank goodness it's green and I'm in SC. I first started out driving the family 70 Dodge Superbee but it was taken away from me two weeks later ...and was given the 67 Fairlane . The stock motor somehow turned into a bored out solid lift cam and headers nos loving junkie

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
2/17/19 3:59 p.m.

Info on the TR8, please.  I’m on the East Coast of FL and have access to truck and trailer.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/17/19 5:53 p.m.

The TR8 is sort of a "ran when parked" "barn find" car, stored in a dark garage under a car cover since 2005. We haven't even taken the car cover all the way off but we did pull it back to get a few photos. The original pewter paint has some crazing. There is a blemish on the rear bumper but also a NOS rear bumper that could go with it.  Seems like TR8s are hot lately.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/18/19 7:52 a.m.
Robbie said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Challenge Bricklin?  Parking lot build Bricklin?

I don't need a bricklin. I didn't particularly want a bricklin before today.

The 351w weighs a lot more.than the 4a, so it will be harder to lot swap. The wiring should be loads easier however, even if we had to remake the entire car.

So many excellent brick themes... Jethro thick as a brick, shes a brick house, brick from anchor man, follow the yellow brick road, Lego brick, the list goes on.

Heavier doesn't necessarily mean harder- it only has two mounts, for example.

My thought would be that one of us buys a rusted to hell truck with a 351 in it up north, then drives it to the challenge, we swap the motor into the Bricklin and have a scrap place tow the truck away from the hotel for recoup during the build.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
2/18/19 8:21 a.m.

A guy at work is scrapping a 94 F150 with a 351, the brakes went out and he says it's just not worth fixing.  Prior to that he was driving it 30 miles each way to work.

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
2/18/19 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Danny Shields :

Do you know whether the car had AC?

Any rusted through areas on the car?

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
2/18/19 11:09 a.m.

Your are now on Barnfinds.

Barnfinds

Danny Shields
2/18/19 1:24 p.m.
maj75 said:

In reply to Danny Shields :

Do you know whether the car had AC?

Any rusted through areas on the car?

I see an "Air Cond" switch on the dashboard but at this point I have not even looked under the hood, er, bonnet. And I have not inspected underneath for rust. 

Danny Shields
2/18/19 1:26 p.m.
akylekoz said:

Your are now on Barnfinds.

Barnfinds

That is awesome. I thought the 5 1/2 Merkurs might attract attention in places like that, but I am finding there is a strong following for the FWD Dodges.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
2/18/19 8:34 p.m.

The Tr8 looks good!  Are the seats and door panels blue or grey?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/18/19 9:36 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:
Robbie said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Challenge Bricklin?  Parking lot build Bricklin?

I don't need a bricklin. I didn't particularly want a bricklin before today.

The 351w weighs a lot more.than the 4a, so it will be harder to lot swap. The wiring should be loads easier however, even if we had to remake the entire car.

So many excellent brick themes... Jethro thick as a brick, shes a brick house, brick from anchor man, follow the yellow brick road, Lego brick, the list goes on.

Heavier doesn't necessarily mean harder- it only has two mounts, for example.

My thought would be that one of us buys a rusted to hell truck with a 351 in it up north, then drives it to the challenge, we swap the motor into the Bricklin and have a scrap place tow the truck away from the hotel for recoup during the build.

Strong chance my challenge car this year will have a ford 302. Should we attempt the 1 motor 2 cars approach?

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
2/18/19 9:57 p.m.

The TR8 seats are solid blue. The door panels are blue tartan. I stopped driving it when it got a power steering leak. 

Danny Shields
2/19/19 8:44 a.m.
spin_out said:

The TR8 seats are solid blue. The door panels are blue tartan. I stopped driving it when it got a power steering leak. 

Wow, power steering on a Little British Car! I did not know that. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/19/19 8:46 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Hmm... how many times would we need to move it?

Swap into Bricklin in parking lot (as practice), run autocross, swap back to your car, run autocross and drag, swap back to Bricklin, run drags.  Remove and place on engine stand between cars for concours.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/19/19 11:57 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

There is so much wrong with this plan. I'll bring the engine hoist.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
2/19/19 12:47 p.m.

I hate to put it in writing but there is special pricing for people who actually show up at The Challenge with the car. I have a weak spot for challengers. 

wawazat
wawazat Reader
2/19/19 3:36 p.m.

As I understand, the Avanti is buried and you’re not able to get pictures.  Is that still the case?  

Can you tell me more about the car?  Is it complete or missing pieces?  What is the drivetrain -manual, automatic-and condition?  What is condition of the body, glass, interior?  Rusty hog troughs?  Run, drive?

Thanks!

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
2/19/19 7:33 p.m.

Though Tod worked really hard at it the Avanti is still half buried. It was media blasted and primed. So it’s in primer. I bought it from a friend who liked to point out it did not have the standard rust. Automatic trans. My dad went to install some modified distributor, but likely put it in backwards. It’s one of the distributors you see advertised. Red and cream interior  

So stalled repaint and distributor update. 

Oh I should mention it is a ‘63 with ‘64 nose.  My buddy bought it with a cracked nose and could only find ‘64 fiberglass. 

wawazat
wawazat Reader
2/19/19 8:00 p.m.

In reply to spin_out :

Thanks for the information. Is the ‘64 front end early round headlights version or later square headlights version?

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
2/20/19 8:22 a.m.

The Avanti should have round but it has the more rectangular headlights.  I think the ‘63 can also be identified by the weird long battery. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/20/19 10:06 a.m.

In reply to spin_out :

These changes happened at different times during production. The battery much earlier then the nose. Weird long battery is also a Corvair item, and some tractors.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/20/19 7:19 p.m.

Wow, so cool. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/19 10:29 a.m.

My wife is very glad you are a long way away from me.  So much cool stuff and I have so little talent and money.

Danny Shields
2/24/19 5:16 p.m.

In reply to psteav :

OK, we dug deep and pulled back the cover for a little tease glimpse of the Avanti.  It has automatic transmission. 

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
2/24/19 5:33 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

If you guys want me to go over and take a look, I could make the time. Might even be able to come up with some outside storage if you need it.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B4C15gSPgkwHaywGlLUaDFPxpg7UFITLxpYq75qxvkU0AxheFMPFodrQuVBK9gil