rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
1/25/21 1:35 p.m.

I wish I was in a position to consider this. Maybe someone else.

https://www.iaai.com/vehicledetails/38388946

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/25/21 5:27 p.m.

There seems to be a lifetime supply of salvage title Focus ST's running around Ohio and Western PA. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/25/21 6:57 p.m.

Maybe someday I'll be able to scoop one of these up. I liked my Focus SE, I'd like it better with a turbo and manual transmission. Not anytime soon, though.

Or I could swap the drivetrain from this into my 2005 Focus. devil

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
1/26/21 7:08 a.m.
slowbird said:

Maybe someday I'll be able to scoop one of these up. I liked my Focus SE, I'd like it better with a turbo and manual transmission. Not anytime soon, though.

Or I could swap the drivetrain from this into my 2005 Focus. devil

A guy in Cincinnati recently did this swap into an early 2000's focus sedan with big Turbski, E85, and Nitrous.  I would guess it changes lanes when he hits the go pedal.  Really nicely done swap as the HPFI is a real hassle for swaps apparently.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/26/21 8:49 a.m.

I am not familar with this site can anybody bid on it?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/26/21 9:10 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

I am not familar with this site can anybody bid on it?

This car is located in Ohio which allows for Public (non-dealers) to bid.  But first you have to be a member at $200 per year to bid.  If not that then use a broker which will cost you more.  

I have written a lot, including posts like this.

I'd be happy to field any direct questions too either by email or phone.  ...jwelsh02...yahoo...

Full disclosure: I have let my membership lapse and can not bid on it for you.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/26/21 9:30 a.m.

I'll write some "what I see" analysis...  

The seller is Philadelphia Insurance Company so it is accident damage.  The site lists rear damage and focuses on that.  The site says estimated damage of $6,622 to fix it right at a real pro body shop.  The site says the pre-accicent value is $11,495.  It would seem that for a $11.5k car w/ $6.6k damage that it would be fixed, and it does seem like something that would typically be fixed, but...

The car shows front fender damage.  Ignore the hood.  I think it is not just closed tight.  If you really zoom in, I think the fender is pushed back enough that it is rubbing the driver's door too.  Also really zoom and you will see that the front grille is not right.  

It is my guess that this front end damage is what they call Previous Undisclosed Damage meaning this was already there and not addressed by the owner (no claim made.)  It is then my guess that the insurance company said:

$11.5k is what your car is worth in "good/normal" condition.

$5k is probably what it costs to repair at a body shop your fender, door, bumper

So, your $11.5k car was only worth 11.5k - $5k = $6.5k total worth when your car was rear ended.  

From the rear ending, your car has $6.6k damage.  So, your car worth $6.5k has $6.6k damage = totaled and here's your check for $6.5k

How perfect do you want the car to be?  It has rear, side and minor front damage.  Needs a little frame pull in the back to make the trunk close right.  There may be some rear floor pan denting.  It might be that the spare tire well is no longer the right shape to hold the spare tire.  

My guess is it will take $4,000 out of pocket (with fees included) to own this car.  It could then be on the road, in a good enough fashion, for $2k more = $6k

Here's  2013 Focus STquickly found asking $9.5k w/ 70k

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/26/21 9:33 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Most important, you will be buying a car with an Ohio Salvage title or said another way, a car that is not approved to be driven on the road.  Since you are a PA resident, you would need to take the car through the process of getting it re-approved to be back on the road in PA.  

The system for Ohio residents is not that difficult.  My suspicion is that PA is much more difficult.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/26/21 9:51 a.m.

I was curious to price Focus STs so I went looking on FB.  

I found this PA dealer selling a salvage ST for $5k.  What I wanted to point out was the shady statement of " This process is very simple now in PA and you can be driving the Focus the same day you have the inspection done."  

I'm not sure how simple the the process is in PA.  My guess is that simple really should read as "clearly defined" but simple implies "easy" which it may not be with a crunched rear quarter.  

Most misleading is the part about ..."be driving the same day you have it inspected" which seems to overlook the whole part about you CAN NOT DRIVE IT until the inspection is done.  

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/26/21 12:15 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I live in PA and my Probe was a salvage title. It only had minimal damage though so all I did was put a new bumper on it. It had to be inspected by a dealer that is certified for salvage/rebuild inspections. I found one not that far from where I live so it was relatively simple.

For damage that requires more extensive repairs, I imagine they will want to see every panel fitting properly, opening and closing, even gaps, and any crash structure being restored to factory specs.

That black one looks, uh, not fun to fix. Ditto for the one in the first post. But I'm sure it can be done.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/26/21 3:41 p.m.

I don't have experience doing it but, from what I read on other sites you get it repaired, bring the receipts to Highway state troopers and they inspect it. If it clears then you can go through the process of normal yearly inspection and submit the paperwork to the title bureau the state 6 months later sends you the re-branded title. I am looking for more of a track toy, the hassle of PA turns me off, Ohio is so much easier. If I sell it I will get the questions "but does it have a title?" Regardless if it stripped with a full roll cage.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HJMVDhA29YTx45WiW5BbpwJknMhEuDnFQ1COOea57Ukfa2UbVJjOmwRSC1gYSkvg