Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
12/29/19 9:39 p.m.

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

For Sale 2006 Mazda Miata MX-5 Grand Touring $2000 

(Buy now, while convertibles are out of season! My loss is your gain! etc, etc...)

Silver / black cloth top / black leather interior

Located in Franklin County PA (near Waynesboro)
Slightly over 200,000 miles. 
Clean PA title in my possession.
PA Inspection through 6/2020

The good:
 - It's a Miata!
 - The drivetrain is still solid
 - Original cloth top that does not leak
 - Current inspection. Decent Continental tires should last another year

The bad / issues: 
 - 2 of the factory 17" 10 spoke wheels have some runout. They are on the rear and it's not noticeable when driving. 
 - the side skirt under the driver's door fell off in November somewhere along my commute and is gone. 
 - the GT front underbumper trim has been damaged multiple times through an autocross shunt and multiple cone kills. The drier's side is no longer propwely attached and it's been held in place with blue painters tape for about a year and a half. I've refreshed the tape a couple times as needed and the paint underneath is undamaged from the tape but has road wear for a 200k mile car. 
 - HVAC Controls currently only appear to work on defog or defog/feet (not ideal for summer AC fogging up the windshield). I was recently told this is a default mode and may be something that can be reset. 
 - AC is working, but blower settings / airflow redirection is not. 
 - 200,000 miles of commuting wear and tear on trim, seats, etc. 

The History:
 - Purchased 2012 with 15000 miles on the clock
 - regular maintenance as follows:
   - Synthetic oil (typically Mobil 1, sometimes other brands) and filter (Napa Gold) every 7500 miles until #1 main bearing wore at ~115K. #1 piston assembly was replaced, crank checked, no other issues noted. After replacement, no issues over the past 90k miles.  (See https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/nc-miata-25-conversion-talk-me-down-or/111228/page1/ After this, oil was changed every 5k miles. I have a magnetic drain plug that usually has a paper thin gray smear of ferrous material (at most) each change.  
 - Air filters every 15k
 - Brake pads every 40k front, 80k front and rear (Napa Adaptive One) Rotors were replaces at 160k? I think and the front right caliper during the most recent change. 
 - Clutch was replaced with Flyin' Miata Happy meal (stage 1 clutch, lightened flywheel, braided clutch line) at about 125k
 - Rear shocke and right rear wheel bearing replaced about this time. 
 - Serpentine belt as needed, but I missed that the tensioner & idler pulleys also should be swapped. Found out per here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/did-i-blow-it-up-nc-miata/139340/page1/ where the idler pulley bolt snapped & engine overheated at 165000 miles (1 1/2 years and 40K miles ago). No damage noted from the overheating and compression check still seems ok.
 - #2 cylinder has had misfire issues twice now. First time, my mechanic ran a new wire between the coil pack & computer . In November, the wire failed at the connector, so he de-pinned it and reran the new wire straight into the connector. 

Most recently,the clutch master seems to be losing fluid and clutch is difficult to get into reverse or first (sometimes) without pumping it a few times. At this point, I have moves on to a newer car with less miles for commuting. 

Other minor items:
 - randomly during driving, the driver's side HID lamp may flick off then back on. Usually less than once a day
 - the stereo has similarly cut off then back on a couple of times. Not at the same time as the headlight. 
 - the CD player for the stereo does not work. I have installed the Auxmod board so you can do 1/8" input on the "tape deck" setting of the radio. (there is no tape deck installed)

Miles are high, but it should be able to do plenty more. This is a cheap path to a NC. Clean title. First $2000 takes it. 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
12/29/19 9:47 p.m.

Most recent photo (July). The driver's side skirt is still on the car here. I picked up a son from the airport and we drove home with the top down and his luggage strapped behind the seats. 

this is from May of this year. Cosmetically, the car is the same, if a bit dirtier. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/19 10:03 p.m.

Boy howdy!

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
12/29/19 10:18 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Interested? 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
12/30/19 6:55 a.m.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy....  I've had two of these things.  Same year, same trim package, nearly same color.....  Let me know if you didn't get my e-mail.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/19 9:40 a.m.

Wow this is tempting. You wouldn't happen to be close enough to an airport for a fly and drive would you? 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
12/30/19 1:25 p.m.

Harrisburg is an hour away. 

Depending on the date I could potentially pick up a buyer at BWI or Dulles

Or Hagerstown regional airport is closest, about 25 minutes away. 

Klayfish is also talking fly and drive. We have local notary/title transfer people or AAA within 20 minutes of the house, not sure how they issue temp tags for out of state drivers. 

I will be dropping insurance on this as soon as it's purchased. 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
12/30/19 1:30 p.m.

As far as a fly & drive, I have been commuting in this reliably for years, the right Competition Yellow 2009 turned up at a time I was unwilling to deal with all the petty stuff (listed) and make the car as new.

Oh, one other thing. This one has the credit card smart keys. I have both, which should be sufficient to rekey it yourself if you want to go through that.  Neither one work like they used to(proximity) and I have been using the slide out physical key to drive it for at least the last 3-4 years. Both card keys will come as part of the purchase. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/19 2:49 p.m.

Did my email come through? 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
12/30/19 6:20 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Yes, but I was commuting home. Reply sent!

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
12/30/19 9:09 p.m.

If this falls through the cracks, I'm interested and local too!  I sent you an email.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
12/30/19 10:59 p.m.

In reply to Nitroracer :

I did. I don't see an email from you. I did get emails from others on the thread though.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
12/31/19 8:25 a.m.

Full disclosure: Nitroracer is 30 minutes from here & stopping by to look at the car this morning. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
12/31/19 10:13 a.m.

Let me know what happens as I"m intereseted

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
12/31/19 11:46 a.m.

Nitroracer stopped by around 10 and we should be closing the deal this afternoon. 

As this car may compete in a future Challenge, we are looking at splitting the sale into "the car" and "extra equipment" for Challenge budget purposes. 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
12/31/19 3:24 p.m.

Sold to Nitroracer!!

$1800 for the car, $200 for accessories including the inflation Kit, jack & tools, floor mats (basically, equipment that would be removed for an autocross)

Thanks to Nitroracer for a painless transaction, and I look forward to seeing this car around, and hopefully at a future Challenge!

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
12/31/19 8:25 p.m.

Thanks for the good deal on the car Greg!  Hopefully I can make a challenge car out of it!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RzFJEOP9ar8Q7NLdOviYYdez62UrDEvUdAmrde0CkFS8wvQijnqKfC4ABO0B88u2