moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
9/26/19 5:27 p.m.

This car no longer sparks joy in my life so it is time to let it go.  Or maybe I just have a problem with buying too many Miatas and I need more room. Whatever the reason it is for sale.
As noted in this thread from 4 years ago, we still haven’t done anything with our old rallyx RX-7, which we essentially replaced with a Miata in February 2015, and then sold that last fall after replacing it with another Miata.  Since I don’t see us racing it again, I think it should find a new home.

I would consider this car to be non-running.

Exterior:

Engine bay:
Interior:

Title : I have a title that was signed by the seller in 2007. They checked and then crossed out the car exceeds mechanical limits so a new title will likely say exceeds mechanical limits.  It has never been signed by a buyer.  

Current Mileage : 114,642

The good:
Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners.  Installed 2013/2014 and only a season or two of rallycross on them.
LSD
It’s water-tight, and not horrifically rusty. Surface rust on the lower part of the car from rallycross but I did not see any holes.  If there are specific parts you would like checked let me know.
If you pull it and get it rolling, the engine may start.
Comes with a reasonably full interior.

The bad:
Won’t idle on it’s own.
The engine compression is very low, which is why we stopped racing it.
I think the engine was eating a bit of coolant but I have not touched the car in a few years so I could not say for sure. 
Pulling into the garage once, knocked the driver’s side mirror off the car.
When we got the car, the ignition cylinder had issues, so we put a plexiglass panel in and did a push button start.  Later, we swapped in the ignition cylinder from the below parts car, but the panel is still in the car.
Driver’s seat has a cover on it since the stitching is coming undone and we duct-taped it together.
Sometimes when putting the car hard into first gear it will pop into the wrong place (far up and left) and it is hard to get back out.
Drivers door only opens from inside.
Key only works on ignition and hatch lock.  The spare doors have the same key as the ignition and hatch and locks could be swapped.

Somebody installed a pipe flange on the roof for some reason.

Spare Parts:
Back in 2010, we bought a blue parts car (87 GXL) because we wanted the LSD from it and were interested in the 5x114.3 bolt pattern.  The story we were told was that the engine died at 13x,xxx miles and he was working on swapping in an engine with 70,000 miles on it but never finished.  

In addition to the LSD, we have from that:
Hatch (w/ wiper) and hood:

Front fenders:

Disassembled engine:  
2 doors :

Interior pieces
5x114.3 bolt pattern hubs and wheels (I never installed them from the parts car)
Blue seats
Spare transmission
Front bumper
Everything else RX-7 in my basement pretty much.

Questions? Offers?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/19 5:31 p.m.

I didn't see this.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/19 6:10 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

I probably shouldn’t tell you that moxnix was awesome to work with on the miata deal last year 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
9/26/19 6:32 p.m.

This looks like it really wants to be a track car. Also... I hear they work pretty well as endurance race cars with a GM V6 under the hood.

EvanB
9/26/19 7:37 p.m.
Patrick said:

In reply to EvanB :

I probably shouldn’t tell you that moxnix was awesome to work with on the miata deal last year 

I'd probably be able to get some ghost pepper cookies and alcoholic lemon bars out of the deal. I already have one 88 Mazda that needs a lot of attention.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
9/26/19 7:38 p.m.

Mileage updated - Current Mileage : 114,642

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
9/26/19 7:40 p.m.
EvanB said:
Patrick said:

In reply to EvanB :

I'd probably be able to get some ghost pepper cookies and alcoholic lemon bars out of the deal. I already have one 88 Mazda that needs a lot of attention.

My Carolina Reapers should be coming in soon if that helps seal the deal.....

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/26/19 11:25 p.m.

Mmmmm. Boy i love me some fc.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/27/19 12:57 p.m.

Do you have the upgraded brakes from the GXL on the car, or are you considering those part of the hub upgrade?

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
9/27/19 3:31 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Do you have the upgraded brakes from the GXL on the car, or are you considering those part of the hub upgrade?

Not installed.  I think I also bought a new set of parts store calipers for the upgraded brakes when I was thinking about putting them on the car and those are just sitting in the RX-7 mess of parts along with the ones from the parts car.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
10/4/19 9:27 p.m.

I also have the tow bar setup that will come with the car. You can see the holes cut in the front bumper for it.  It is not a great one but it got the car to events for a few years behind my ford ranger before I upgraded to a trailer.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
12/23/19 8:56 p.m.

Really would like to free up my driveway.  Any offers that don't include non-running cars will be considered.  Maybe you got some early Christmas gift that you are never going to use?

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
1/14/20 3:50 p.m.

Any offers?

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
2/5/20 10:30 a.m.

$800 obo. 

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
2/26/20 11:03 a.m.

$600. 

EvanB
2/28/20 3:19 p.m.

Ok, fine. Email sent. 

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
3/14/20 5:41 p.m.

Sold!

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/20 11:43 p.m.

Berk PA tollpike things and berk GPS suggestions.

EvanB
3/15/20 12:09 a.m.

On the road from 5:45am to 12:30am, we didn't lose any of the parts on the way back and aside from the snow and stupid routing from google maps it went smoothly. 

Patrick
3/15/20 6:04 a.m.

Remember that time Evan bought another car, and I bought another car, and now we can be in the rotary club with Pete?

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
3/15/20 6:13 a.m.

Glad it all made it home with you.  

Knurled.
3/15/20 9:25 a.m.

In reply to moxnix :

Crawling up and down rural roads with snowfall and 9% grades while the GPS was berating us for going 10mph instead of 45mph was less than fun.  But it probably shaved 1.3 miles off the trip or something.

Knurled.
3/15/20 12:47 p.m.
Patrick said:

Remember that time Evan bought another car, and I bought another car, and now we can be in the rotary club with Pete?

We're unloading it and I remember now that I was reminded of some stuff you'd done when I was shoving things under the car and ziptying them to the ratchet straps so they would not disappear

Patrick
3/15/20 1:02 p.m.

i now have 100% more rotors than before.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QOYtRIS92PPEzIhrCJH5OcMdrXUlAMoblPdC4AUmExHXAKdTYdhC3170d8CQXtIV