whenry
whenry Reader
10/28/16 8:16 a.m.

Black on black, 132K, rare 6spd due to SMT conversion using MWR kit, 35mpg, new struts, springs and brakes, 16" stock wheels all around, Megan adjustable rear bars, been my daily driver for 2 yrs $5500.00. Call Wayne 865-806-4464. the answer is I bought another Miata and gotta sell something.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
10/28/16 1:00 p.m.

Mmmmm, sounds pretty tasty. I don't have room in the stable, but I'd be interested to hear more about the SMT conversion just out of curiosity.

whenry
whenry Reader
11/16/16 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Matt B:

SMT is not a transmission like most paddle shifters but rather shifter system that consists of a high pressure pump and control unit that actually controls clutch and gear shift. Toyota never told anyone that the system needed maintenance ie pump fluid and most of the SMT's die at approx 100k. MWR(monkey wrench racing) sells a complete conversion kit using Toyota parts to add the clutch pedal, appropriate brake pedal, clutch hydralics, new shifter cage, shift cables, etc to turn car into manually shifted car. We also did a bunch of "while you are there" work to clutch, axles, rear brakes and suspension arms. It has been my DD for over two years and never an issue on conversion.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
11/16/16 2:42 p.m.

Ah, gotcha. So now it's a traditional el manuel 6spd using the original SMT ratios, but controlled by the nut behind the wheel? They didn't ship them with "normal" 6spd used in Celica, correct? Any idea if the ratios are different? Can I end every sentence with a question mark?

whenry
whenry Reader
11/24/16 10:28 a.m.

I have seen which of the Toyota 6spd tranny is used as the base but I dont recall. It is not a special trans; just a different way to shift it. My memory is that there are two different 6spds but I am old and thinking about RX7's now so .....

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/16 10:00 a.m.
Matt B wrote: Ah, gotcha. So now it's a traditional el manuel 6spd using the original SMT ratios, but controlled by the nut behind the wheel? They didn't ship them with "normal" 6spd used in Celica, correct? Any idea if the ratios are different? Can I end every sentence with a question mark?

IIRC, the 6 speed for the MWR kit is the same as the one used in the Celica GTS and Matrix XRS.

whenry, I'm presuming this is still the factory 1zz engine? ( You didn't swap in the hot motor when you swapped the transmission?)

Also, does anyone have any earthly clue WHY Toyota didn't offer this car with the 2zz and the six-speed from the factory? It's easy enough to do with the aftermarket....but they could have practically bolted it in from the get-go.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VsxXdT90CFkE7SDqaAoMOnUSqHHcigaHieCVuGzTwG6A6d8iqiB5y9MPuRTb0CF6