borf42
borf42 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/19 8:15 p.m.

Hi there everyone,

It is a sad day, as I am going to have to sell one of my favorite vehicles. It is a 1998 Ford Explorer.

177k miles

4.0L OHV V6

5sp MANUAL transmission (with a SWEET Hurst shifter!)

4x4 (works great)

Really nice stereo, with a hidden 10" sub in a specially made box that fits there the factory sub went. Takes no trunk space, sounds great. 

JVC head unit with BT, iPod hookup, hooked to an Alpine Flex-4 amp powering the front speakers and the sub

All the speakers have been replaced, it is probably one of the best stereos I have ever installed.

I took out the cloth seats and broken arm rest and put in the power leather seats and the center console.

While I did all that to the interior, I added some dynamat type sound deadener. It is pretty quiet on the freeway.

Very new tires, and a perfect alignment

Updated projector headlights. Not a huge fan of the look, but it was WAY better at night than the yellow-lensed lights that were on it before. As useless as holding a candle out the window.

I added a nice keyless entry system. I even have the manual for it in the glove box. Still works perfect. Two remotes, two keys.

Full service records since i bought it, and I am the 2nd owner. The first owner had it serviced at the dealer, and all the records show up on the Carfax. Which I think I have a copy of, and can email a pdf if interested.

Link to the service records can be found here, and all the oil changes were synthetic. I tracked them with my phone.

Link to more pics can be found here.

Now, onto the bad. It has some rocker rust. it is an old truck from New England, bound to happen. I had a friend replace them at one point, but they started rusting again. The passenger side is the worst part. It probably isn't too bad if you can weld or you can go with the included aluminum slip on cover I bought but never put on.

The reason I am moving on is that the last oil change, I found coolant in the oil. It had sat for a few weeks as I was traveling and driving the Mustang, and the coolant separated to the bottom. When I take off the drain plug, I unthread it and keep pressure  and try to move it quick to avoid getting too oily. Well, some drips made their way down my arm, and they were green. Very sad indeed.

The passenger door latch had a small spring break on me. I have the replacement, but not installed. It still works, but you have to jiggle the handle to unlock it.

I have another front bumper to replace the one with the hole in it. I just didn't have the time.

The driver side window needs to be glued back onto the regulator. Not a hard job, but not what I wanted to do in the freezing cold.

All of this awesome can be yours for $600, but please make me an offer if you are at all interested. I have the title.

It is registered and insured, but I am turning in the plates this weekend as my reg is running out anyhow. It still runs and drives fine, and the oil looks pretty clear, so I think it can make it to a destination without much issue.

It can be a donor to make your explorer a manual, or you can fix it and keep on driving. You could even roll the dice and just drive it as is. I won't judge,

I am also interested in trades. I have a 1999 Mustang that needs a cobra brake swap, a panhard bar, front shock tower brace, or just let me know if you have anything Mustang related to trade.

I also like old computers. TRS-80, Commodore Amiga or 128 (I already have 2 64s), any Atari computer... Let me know.

I don't really want to part it out, as when I sell the most valuable part, the wheels with tires, it will be tough to get rid of. But hey, if you have a plan, we can make something work.

You can reach out to me here on the boards or my username at gmail.com

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/19 9:51 a.m.

I've ridden in, driven and worked on this truck with Borf.  I can vouch that it runs and drives well, and how sad he is to move it on.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
1/15/19 11:28 a.m.

Damn, why can't that thing be down south?  Keeping my eyes out for a cheap beater to teach my soon-to-be 15 year old son to drive on.  GLWS

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/15/19 3:47 p.m.

I have an unhealthy love for (mainly 1st gen) Explorers. Unfortunately, SWMBO prefers the 3rd gen and I doubt I can convince her that I need this one. GLWS!

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/15/19 4:18 p.m.

I drove this explorer 50 feet to move it, when I bought my Miata last summer. Good luck with sale!

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/19 6:07 p.m.
karplus2 said:

I have an unhealthy love for (mainly 1st gen) Explorers. Unfortunately, SWMBO prefers the 3rd gen and I doubt I can convince her that I need this one. GLWS!

Third gen, specifically the 2002 is by far the worst cars ever. Seriously just take your money and light it on fire. For fun go over to carcomplaints.com and read how many problems those years have.

The 2nd gen is my favorite as long as you stick with the OHV v6 and run screaming from the SOHC version

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/15/19 10:01 p.m.
Antihero said:
karplus2 said:

Third gen, specifically the 2002 is by far the worst cars ever. Seriously just take your money and light it on fire. For fun go over to carcomplaints.com and read how many problems those years have.

The 2nd gen is my favorite as long as you stick with the OHV v6 and run screaming from the SOHC version

Yeah, the reason I have my 94 is because my Grandpa gave it to me when he bought his 2002. He had a few issues, transfer case was the big one. I always preferred the OHV. I had a 2002 Mountaineer with the 4.6 for a while. Never had issues with it but didn't have it long.

Tried to convince the wife on this but she said no. GLWS!

borf42
1/16/19 7:03 a.m.

I've driven a 2002, and I can say that I could not replace this with one and do the same stuff. I did some light off roading, mostly fire access roads and stuff, and silly adventures in the snow. I really liked parking in snow banks for some reason. I remember when my wife and I went to the movies and there wasn't a parking space available because of all the spots taken by piles of snow. So I parked on the pile of snow. Good times...

Miles Wilson
Miles Wilson Reader Services
1/16/19 3:38 p.m.

Ya know, I should really start doing the same with Google Docs and my own fleet. I'll probably still keep receipt books but it's much easier to just pull up a document on my phone these days.

Also, look for some love today in the GRM newsletter!

borf42
1/17/19 11:31 a.m.

In reply to Miles Wilson :

I currently use an app called Fuelly for Android. It works well enough, and allows you to export the database as a CSV file, which I imported into Google Sheets to show all I've done... I know the gas receipts may be overkill, but I really try to care for all my vehicles as best as I can, and I like to keep a record. I don't like to look back on the records to see how much money I've lost, but I bet many on here know how I feel on that one!!

borf42
1/18/19 3:56 p.m.

I would be happy to trade you this whole truck for a set of wheels with tires for the Stang. If you have a Ranger, all the goodies here will fit. Just throwing that out there.

Jimbo86
Jimbo86 New Reader
1/19/19 11:02 p.m.

Sending an email your way!

James

borf42
1/21/19 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Jimbo86 :

I am sure the Explorer is off to a good home. It was good to meet you!

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh

Antihero
1/23/19 9:37 p.m.

Off topic but where did you get the projector housings?

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/24/19 8:01 a.m.

I had a baby blue with manual trans. I was able to fit a kart in it.

borf42
1/24/19 9:24 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Good old Ebay

They have been great, although it required some dremel work to install. Totally worth it.

Antihero
1/24/19 11:40 a.m.
borf42 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Good old Ebay

They have been great, although it required some dremel work to install. Totally worth it.

Sweet, thanks. Like you im not a huge fan of the look but.....wow are the headlights not great stock

borf42
1/24/19 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

They make chrome ones as well, but I disliked those more. These are WAY better than stock, probably even when new. They also have the proper lens with the cutoff so you can do an HID upgrade without blinding every car in a 4 mile radius.

borf42
1/24/19 12:49 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

That's fantastic. I loved mine, I am pretty sure it is the longest I've ever owned a car in my life. I hope I get as much time out the Xterra I just bought. Sadly, an automatic.

Miles Wilson
Miles Wilson Reader Services
1/30/19 11:14 a.m.

In reply to borf42 :

I actually have Fuelly but the free version, guess it's time to pony up and get tracking! Thanks for the insight.

borf42
1/30/19 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Miles Wilson :

Fuelly is pretty good, but they seem to have migrated to a subscription model. I used to have aCar, which was bought by Fuelly and I haven't been terribly happy ith the ads they force on what was a paid app. Now, I have found another app that I was able to migrate in the data from the old app and is quite a bit cleaner. It took me a bit to get it all setup, but I imagine I had a harder time as my data was pre-existing and I had to fix a bunch of stuff.

Here is a link to the app I am using now

I paid the dev the $2 for premium. I hate ads....

I find it quite slick as you can have pics for invoices as well as a pic of your car in teh profile. It is pretty slick. Good luck on your quest for automotive logging!!! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rpJSMjhUqD8A5qMQYduzDxSujFqDYy0RKX1kZjrQuMTIcNnTexjky6d6b36vAVtg