Medchin
Medchin New Reader
6/5/20 3:41 p.m.

Late in 2018 I was rear ended in my 2002 Lexus IS300. I have been fighting with that individual's insurance company since, and finally last week had a resolution. Now the car just makes me sad and angry to see in my driveway. It would make a fantastic donor for a project, but I already have WAY too many. I bought the car in 2018 from a salvage auction with some front end damage which I repaired... and then was rear-ended only 6 months later. hooooraay.

The car has a 2JZGE and W55, and as far as I know factory LSD (see Door VIN tag; B01B means LSD), it runs drives, stops, does all the car stuff. I'm actually still daily driving it ~20 miles to work everyday, AC blows cold, radio bumps.

I did the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump when I initially bought the car in 2018. I did the valve cover gaskets and brakes some time in early 2020, new tires around the same time. 

The Bad:

• The body (obviously)
  • Cracked windshield
  • The trunk is wired shut and taped up to keep moisture out
  • Replaced the passenger side light with some DOT legal LED ATV taillights; they set off the cars "bulb out" sensor. This could be rectified with an appropriate resistor wired in line.
  • Driver's door window has come off the track and needs to be re-attached (seems to be a semi-common issue) which I plan to do before selling the car since I'm still driving it.
  • Check Engine Code P0440 "Evap Leak - Small", pops everytime the tank gets down to about 1/4 tank. Fill the tank, clear the code, pops at 1/4 tank again. I've check all the obvious/easy stuff, replaced hoses and the gas cap, but refuse to drop the tank cause I doubt I'd be able to get it back in. 

I would love to see this car go to someone to become a donor for a project, or hell cut it up and turn it into a drift missile. I'd like to get $2500, and if need be I can get a new state inspection before sale here in NC if that helps the buyer. I'm located in Fuquay-Varina, NC. If needed I can negotiate partial or full transportation.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer as best I can.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
6/5/20 7:21 p.m.

Hope it gets saved or turned into a manu swap candidate.  I had an identical beast in auto that suffered an identical fate.  Bright side here is they can take a hit and let folks walk away.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/5/20 7:23 p.m.

Keep it and build an IS300 kart out of it. Sell off the "stuff" you don't need, cage it and have some fun. I'm in the process of doing just that with an old C4 Corvette.

Just a thought.........

Lemons car fodder if I've ever seen it. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
6/5/20 9:40 p.m.

E36 M3 I want this, not that I have a use for it

mrhappy
mrhappy Dork
6/5/20 10:44 p.m.

I wish this was closer and I had the money. I'd get it and manual swap mine.

AaronT
AaronT New Reader
6/5/20 11:21 p.m.

Two Jay Zees!? No E36 M3!

GLWS

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/13/20 12:44 p.m.

How many miles on it, and where is it located? 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/20 1:06 p.m.

In reply to Carbon (Forum Supporter) :

burried near the bottom of the first post.. 

located in Fuquay-Varina, NC.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/15/20 9:00 a.m.

Thanks.

I guess, You're not the only space cadet in this thread ;) 

Medchin
Medchin New Reader
6/16/20 11:40 a.m.

In reply to Carbon (Forum Supporter) :

Car has about 240k on the clock, but I'm still dailying it so that number will go up. Timing belt was done at ~220k and valve cover gaskets at ~230k.

As spacecadet said I'm in central NC, Fuquay-Varina. If someone really wants it I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance to meet them. Benefits of selling a functional vehicle smiley

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/20 12:50 p.m.

You're down the road. Good luck with passing this onwards.

You didn't mention it, but if this has the LSD package, it's as rare as hen's teeth and ups the desirability quite a bit.

Medchin
Medchin New Reader
6/17/20 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) :

Based on the research I did when i bought the car: A/TM is "Axle/Transmission" so B01A=Open, B01B=LSD, B01C=LSD, then obviously W55 is the W55 5-speed.

Medchin
Medchin New Reader
6/17/20 10:09 a.m.

It's worth stating as far as I know the IS300 Sportcross (Wagon) wasn't sold with a manual transmission. The swap seems reasonably easy, I think the only thing that isn't bolt on is the shifter needs to be extended... create your own unicorn kit... just saying smiley

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
6/17/20 10:34 a.m.

This car has been haunting me, I'm in physical pain that I can't come up with something to do a "Datsaniti" style suspension/drivetrain swap into.

Medchin
Medchin New Reader
8/11/20 9:41 a.m.

Car has sold. Went to a guy working at a Lexus dealership, he wanted the W55 for his IS300 and from what I gathered he has pre-sold most of the interior, and the motor. I suspect he's basically getting a free W55. It's out of my life.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oJi6StqeCqnA00Lde6AuxMRdrSOgC4DikXJcnqBAOJiZbw6YNigYMcvlHX9HFy6x