1 2
white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
11/13/19 11:06 p.m.

I had a great time at the Challenge in the nice Jag, but I almost lament the fact that it was too nice to go crazy with. This is the car to go crazy with. Do it. Somebody.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2456493614596892/

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/14/19 6:22 a.m.

For those not familiar, this one has the 400 hp supercharged engine!

That's only $1.50 per horsepower!

Amazing value

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/14/19 7:07 a.m.

That's a good donor engine and transmission for an xjs.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/14/19 8:06 a.m.

I wish I was closer. 

I was eyeing up that engine at the Challenge thinking what a wonderful donor it would make. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/19 9:01 a.m.

holy hell, at that price you could berkeley it all up and not even care.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/14/19 9:07 a.m.
SVreX said:

I wish I was closer. 

I was eyeing up that engine at the Challenge thinking what a wonderful donor it would make. 

The torque delivery on these engines is amazing.  It feels very eager to accelerate with just a hint of throttle input.

yupididit
11/14/19 9:50 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

It's already berkeleyed up according to the description

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/14/19 9:58 a.m.

If that was local I'd already be on my way to buy it. Someone should get this thing!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/19 10:26 a.m.

I can't go get it even though it's semi close. It's an excellent deal. And I need like 2 fewer projects than I already have.

AngryCorvair
11/14/19 10:37 a.m.
yupididit said:
AngryCorvair said:

yes but only partly.   

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/14/19 10:38 a.m.

As someone who just spent 2500 on one of these, I support this. It's a ridiculously fun car. Obviously a boat. Something like 4k lbs but I'm sure there is a lot you could shave off.

If someone here gets that, I'd be happy to help recoup costs by buying most of that black interior...

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/14/19 11:43 a.m.

I'm going to pretend I didn't see that. My brother lives in Menomonie.

yupididit
11/14/19 11:59 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
yupididit said:
AngryCorvair said:

yes but only partly.   

New rear suspension required and a bent frame amongst some other things is partly? Lol

RacetruckRon
11/14/19 12:02 p.m.

Did these things come with dual rear brake calipers or is there some drifty boi shenanigans going on here? 

iansane
11/14/19 12:15 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Did these things come with dual rear brake calipers or is there some drifty boi shenanigans going on here? 

Factory is Brembo calipers front and rear with a separate brembo electric parking brake caliper. The brakes themselves are huge for 2004, 14" discs.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/14/19 12:46 p.m.

All this damage but I can't show a picture

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/14/19 1:50 p.m.

The seller has been texting with me.

I asked him if the engine ran strong.  He said the engine is in great condition. (Not quite an answer to my question).  

I asked him if it could be driven onto a trailer.  He said "I believe it can be pushed".

That's not quite enough of a warm fuzzy for me to want to pay  a shipping company to transport it 1200 miles across the country.  It sounds like there is something he is not saying.

If anyone is close and willing to take a look, let me know. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/14/19 1:53 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

RacetruckRon said:

....... My brother lives in Menomonie.

Also,  rear suspension is shared with the common variety S-Series, so replacement parts should be readily available and cheap.

RacetruckRon
11/14/19 1:53 p.m.

I messaged the guy.  It doesn't look all that bad.  What do you do when you want a car but have no place to put it?

yupididit
11/14/19 2:05 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

I messaged the guy.  It doesn't look all that bad.  What do you do when you want a car but have no place to put it?

Buy it anyway

RacetruckRon
11/14/19 2:10 p.m.
yupididit said:
RacetruckRon said:

Buy it anyway

I'm considering it. I need to measure my storage unit after work.

iansane
11/14/19 2:14 p.m.
SVreX said:

The seller has been texting with me.

I asked him if the engine ran strong.  He said the engine is in great condition. (Not quite an answer to my question).  

I asked him if it could be driven onto a trailer.  He said "I believe it can be pushed".

That's not quite enough of a warm fuzzy for me to want to pay  a shipping company to transport it 1200 miles across the country.  It sounds like there is something he is not saying.

If anyone is close and willing to take a look, let me know. 

FWIW, I'm pretty certain they all came with open diffs and if the rear is berkeleyed enough to need new "suspension" I'd wager all the power is going to a broken or missing cv axle. I can't help but pictures a driveshaft flailing around under throttle.

RacetruckRon
11/14/19 2:23 p.m.

I couldn't get the guy to tell me what all is broken. I can't tell from these pictures if the subframe is just damaged or if the body structure took a beating too.

AngryCorvair
11/14/19 2:28 p.m.

subframes are designed to bend before transfering bendy force to the body, and that wheel doesn't look too bad, so I'd roll the dice on it if i were you.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/14/19 2:40 p.m.

Insurance already paid out and the chassis is berkeleyed....this is the same S-Type that shares a platform with the much handsomer Lincoln LS.....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z2XhdjsJqawCHzNyBxnnsZSjXCkUeuYLaRjOLN6HP6TCU6GVUWG2Ls90LxfPBdjE