1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20
frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/10/20 12:33 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

if it's "summer 2022", might I suggest the following venue:

http://ultimatetrackcarchallenge.com/

VIR is "old school" and has straights you can stretch your legs at.  We'll see what the state of the world is, but I might could help with some of the logistics for there by then (sleepy-in-laws live an hour-ish west of VIR).

Please tell me about VIR!  How long are the straights?  How many and what are the corners like?  

Elkart Lake is 4 miles with 3 long straights. The majority of the corners are fixed radius flat except the carousel which is a slightly decreasing 270 degree crowned. Corner.  Very hard on brakes. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/10/20 12:51 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I hope it's Daytona, I want to see this. 

This is also home to the GRM mothership, so it would be easy to cover for an article, too.

I'd be up for Daytona.  Looks like a track where speed is important and that's Jaguars forte.  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/10/20 12:55 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

There have already been 2 people who volunteered to help pay the costs. 

What do you think it costs to tow a car  about 2600 miles round trip?  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/10/20 1:08 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Bring tired of the moving target here's what we've both agreed to before.

$1000 engine limit. This should include fuel management and any accessories attached to the engine including headers, turbo if used and the intake tract up to where an air filter would be if used.  Basically anything the air or fuel passes through fuel pressure regulator forward except what is traditionally considered the exhaust system.  Accessories such as alternator, power steering pump are also included in the budget. You will build what is commonly considered a Jaguar V12. I will build what is commonly called a SBC or BBC.  SBC excludes LS engines.

I can swap my engine into your XJS or if I choose to I can build my own XJS.  Either way the race car is unlimited in budget or mods as this is an engine competition not a race car competition hence us racing a fat car with a long wheelbase that should never be raced by normal people. Radiator and coolant hoses are considered part of the race car. Fuel pump and lines are part of the car also. 

The race will be held at a venue of your choosing in the summer of 2022. You must give notice at least 6 months in advance of the location and date.

I'm giving you everything you want except I'm not going to give you enough budget to mod your engine while I'm forced to bring a stock engine.  I think I'm giving you way too much. Anyway I'm done with changing targets. If you want to race then agree. If you don't want to race then let's end the conversation. 

First I never agreed to a turbo.  Where did you get that idea?   Second I've repeatedly said that while I understand carbs I'm like most DIY guys capable of plugging into the OBD2 and figuring out what to change.  While I kludged one V12 into working with turbo's I know how much I left on the table.  I am not foolish enough to take on a turbo'd engine with a near stock set of carbs. 
You claim $450 in your big block. Buy a set of valve covers and run it. I'll run mine, stock cams and all. That's right 242 horsepower.  Plus whatever an open exhaust ( mufflerless ) and lack of air pump give me. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/20 1:28 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

SMH (shake my head for older folks) you talk all the time about how you just need to change a couple of things and you have 500 HP. Or how you built a twin turbo  V12 with junkyard parts (also admit you cheated the race rules with a cam) and now you want to race stock engines with a whopping 242 HP?  berkeley might as well race Honda Accords. I'm out until you get serious. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/10/20 1:39 p.m.
frenchyd said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

if it's "summer 2022", might I suggest the following venue:

http://ultimatetrackcarchallenge.com/

VIR is "old school" and has straights you can stretch your legs at.  We'll see what the state of the world is, but I might could help with some of the logistics for there by then (sleepy-in-laws live an hour-ish west of VIR).

Please tell me about VIR!  How long are the straights?  How many and what are the corners like?  

Elkart Lake is 4 miles with 3 long straights. The majority of the corners are fixed radius flat except the carousel which is a slightly decreasing 270 degree crowned. Corner.  Very hard on brakes. 

3.27miles overall.  I reckon this would give you an idea of the course:

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/10/20 2:22 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Despite what SVreX says I'm not as stupid as I look.

Huh?? surprisesadsurprise

Where the hell did THAT come from?? I have never once thought anything close to that!

You may not but I know I have. cheeky

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/10/20 3:10 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Who cares, and why does it matter to you?

I offered to try to recruit the resources to make it happen. Shouldn't matter to you beyond that. 

$350 has been pledged already, and you can't even agree on the terms. Don't use the transport as an excuse. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/10/20 3:55 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

That looks fun.  I like the speed that little Six could pull. Must be rather healthy. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/10/20 4:00 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Who cares, and why does it matter to you?

I offered to try to recruit the resources to make it happen. Shouldn't matter to you beyond that. 

$350 has been pledged already, and you can't even agree on the terms. Don't use the transport as an excuse. 

Why does it matter?  You obviously aren't living on a fixed income with that sort of question. 
On the Other hand Stampie agreed to come up here  so if not enough is raised it will be up here. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/10/20 4:05 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

SMH (shake my head for older folks) you talk all the time a i bout how you just need to change a couple of things and you have 500 HP. Or how you built a twin turbo  V12 with junkyard parts (also admit you cheated the race rules with a cam) and now you want to race stock engines with a whopping 242 HP?  berkeley might as well race Honda Accords. I'm out until you get serious. 

So you're afraid your 454 cu in motor can't beat 326 cu. in. In a fair fight?   Where's all the talk about how powerful Chevy are?  

Run it stock. And if you want to hot rod it. Do it after. 

Pattyo
Pattyo Reader
7/10/20 5:06 p.m.

This is a sad but inevitable outcome. 

Frenchy what is the argument that you are making? That a "breathed on" Jaguar v12 in a Jaguar makes a better racecar than a caomparable Chevy?

Ok, why don't you make the rules then.

You talk such a good game and alot of folks here want to see what a beautiful v12 can do but as soon as someone comes to challenge you, you get cold feet!

Man up and show us something!

I say you build your car with whatever you have laying around, and do a build thread!

It seems the hive will find a way to bring it and you to the challenge or the challenge to you.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
7/10/20 5:12 p.m.

Stampie may win this without building anything. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/20 5:45 p.m.

I seem to recall this guy mguar that was banned back in the day.  Maybe he could help frenchy go live under a patio

V12
V12 New Reader
7/10/20 6:19 p.m.

Hope this happens.  Would probably advise on a dyno-based shootout so as to avoid the extra variables of driver skill/chassis development, but I can see that is a sensitive topic.  

For pure numbers I predict BBC will trump the V12.  I could be wrong.  Hell, I usually am.  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/10/20 6:22 p.m.
Pattyo said:

This is a sad but inevitable outcome. 

Frenchy what is the argument that you are making? That a "breathed on" Jaguar v12 in a Jaguar makes a better racecar than a caomparable Chevy?

Ok, why don't you make the rules then.

You talk such a good game and alot of folks here want to see what a beautiful v12 can do but as soon as someone comes to challenge you, you get cold feet!

Man up and show us something!

I say you build your car with whatever you have laying around, and do a build thread!

It seems the hive will find a way to bring it and you to the challenge or the challenge to you.

A constantly shifting  set of rules.  

First it was going to be Chevy vs Jaguar on a challenge budget.  Then it was going to be a small block  Chevy  in a Jaguar vs a Jaguar.
I offered to let him install his BBC in a Jaguar I prepared to eliminate the car variable 
then a $1000. BBChevy  in a Jaguar. vs a Jaguar in a Jaguar 
Then a super/ turbocharged BBC vs a Jaguar. I proposed a $500 limit on the engine.  His objection is Jaguars were  free and that would allow me to use an old reground pair of camshafts  He's right. A pair of cams could easily make 100+ horsepower over the stock ones  

I offered  to use a stone stock carbureted Jaguar against his stone stock BBC  which is what the original discussion was all about  

Stampie is just afraid to meet on equal grounds.  
I'm not a drag racer.  I don't like autocross.I refuse to travel 2600 miles to do something I don't like. For what?  
 I much prefer to do wheel to wheel but I suspect that just wouldn't be fair to Stampie  so I'll do SCCA track night. 
It's not wheel to wheel.  More  like autocross on a real racetrack.   
Stampie wants to make more power and do the challenge thing  he can take his stock motor and turbo it to his hearts content right after we have our little event.  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/10/20 6:38 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

I seem to recall this guy mguar that was banned back in the day.  Maybe he could help frenchy go live under a patio

I along with the person who was insulting me were banned for profanity. I'd noticed it creeping into his conversation and yielded to the temptation. I was banned. For I think 3 months Margie would have the details. 

I can't figure out why I keep coming back to this thread. It just annoys me every time. But here I am posting in it. Again. 

Send help. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
7/10/20 7:08 p.m.

Who said anything about equal grounds? Both of you claim your engine is better- therefore they are not equal. 

This should be easy, and doesn't need any rules. 

Pattyo
Pattyo Reader
7/10/20 7:18 p.m.

Frenchy how about you make some rules? Put it in print and that way Stampie knows what to expect, what to build, and how much to spend.

Sit down and write out what you need to make this happen.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/20 8:14 p.m.
frenchyd said:

I'm a Luddite.   it would be simple if I could cut and paste stuff like all you younger people do.  Then I could Show you that  in the early 2000's I built a slightly less than 500 horsepower V12 V12  on the $500 Chump Car budget. Legitimately  

( the post about V12 mods) 

frenchyd said:

I also had a pair of  reground camshafts that I cheated and swaped with the stock ones. I didn't think Chumpcar could tell.

So did you cheat or was it legitimate?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
7/10/20 8:20 p.m.

I'm still crossing my fingers that this can somehow turn into Spec Aspen where racers on a strict budget can run Mopar F-bdoy and M-body cars with either big block Chevy's or V12 Jags.  Seems as reasonable as any other thing to hope for out of this.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/10/20 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Lol those mguar/frenchy memes crack me up boy o boy

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
7/11/20 3:43 a.m.
frenchyd said: 

First it was going to be Chevy vs Jaguar on a challenge budget.  Then it was going to be a small block  Chevy  in a Jaguar vs a Jaguar.
I offered to let him install his BBC in a Jaguar I prepared to eliminate the car variable 
then a $1000. BBChevy  in a Jaguar. vs a Jaguar in a Jaguar 
Then a super/ turbocharged BBC vs a Jaguar. I proposed a $500 limit on the engine.  His objection is Jaguars were  free and that would allow me to use an old reground pair of camshafts  He's right. A pair of cams could easily make 100+ horsepower over the stock ones  

I offered  to use a stone stock carbureted Jaguar against his stone stock BBC  which is what the original discussion was all about  

Almost none of that is accurate when taken in context of where the discussions al have steamed from.

You have actually convinced me that a 300 junkyard jag v12 engine (a price you mention on every thread a v12 comes up in) with minor mods (that are so cheap its like finding gold on the ground - or sompthing like that)

would actually be able to win against a junkyard chevy engine of the same era, with minor mods (ie, more hp than stock)

BUT you tend to make outrageous posts that its cheaper to build HP with a jag v12, than it is to build hp with ANY chevy engine

NO ONE (but you ) has expected to race you with no mods to a chevy engine... but have offered to let you spend the same amount on your jag engine

Stampie (FS) said:

Bring tired of the moving target here's what we've both agreed to before.

$1000 engine limit. This should include fuel management and any accessories attached to the engine including headers, turbo if used and the intake tract up to where an air filter would be if used.  Basically anything the air or fuel passes through fuel pressure regulator forward except what is traditionally considered the exhaust system.  Accessories such as alternator, power steering pump are also included in the budget. You will build what is commonly considered a Jaguar V12. I will build what is commonly called a SBC or BBC.  SBC excludes LS engines.

I can swap my engine into your XJS or if I choose to I can build my own XJS.  Either way the race car is unlimited in budget or mods as this is an engine competition not a race car competition hence us racing a fat car with a long wheelbase that should never be raced by normal people. Radiator and coolant hoses are considered part of the race car. Fuel pump and lines are part of the car also. 

The race will be held at a venue of your choosing in the summer of 2022. You must give notice at least 6 months in advance of the location and date.

That is the last actual rules suggested. All of your answerers are complaints against this said outside of these suggestions, without laying down exact rules in writing.

A stock $300 junkyard v12 with 700 mods. against a stock BBC with mods... With all other rules exactly the same, a bone stock $300 engine does not give you the chance to "builds more hp cheaper than a chevy"

You are on a fixed income. Stampie ain't 'zactly roiling in money. Lots of folks on here will pitch in a bunch of money, once a build thread for the stuff happens. $1000 engine budget sound way cheap, to get good enough HP for a fun race. If your used reground cams are important to you, but not worth much, they will not bite into your budget much. Leaves you a lot of money to prove how cheap a v12 can build more hp.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/20 7:48 a.m.

I think since captain mguar has admitted repeatedly to "building a motor for $500" and "cheating reground cams they wouldn't notice" the only fair thing here is for stampie to get his hands on a v12 xj(that actually runs) and run it, then drop in chevy and run it again.  I've sourced the car just in case laugh

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N7gw8lpBaWUCF8LFDwevg9yPsUsigAYquzmr70Hu8zNnqng86bhSySzUZb20Yunl