1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/5/20 7:10 p.m.
03Panther said:
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to 03Panther :

Me?  I'm here just because I like poking the bear.

I know... and I love it! Do you think frenchyd knows that? He seems to be a good sport about it. smiley I'm not sure I could be as good a sport, but it is a goal to look up to!

It's been said that arguing with me is like wrestling a pig... all it does is get ya dirty, and after a while you realize the pig enjoys it!!!

Yes I take it with a sense of humor. But ask yourself, why would a guy who likes Chevy's so much he'd buy 11 new ones and 3 used ones in his life be such an advocate for something he's only bought when it had depreciated down to $300?  
Yes I raced a Corvette and took 3rd with it.  Later sold it for way more than I paid for it?  But I'm still a strong advocate for something most people either ignore  or support Chevy/Ford/Dodge etc?  

While I'm at it, can you buy an all aluminum 4 bolt main Big block Chevy  for $300?  If so will it have a high strength Steel Forging that has been hardened?  
    What would you have to pay for something like that?  

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/5/20 7:57 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Why buy all that when my RV 454 will beat a Jag V12?

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Probably while it's still in the RV. wink

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/5/20 8:49 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Why buy all that when my RV 454 will beat a Jag V12?

Some of us like to race.  Put that RV 454 in a Corvette or Camaro and try it at a race track?   

Stampie (FS)
7/5/20 8:53 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Tell you what.  Give me a total budget and time limit.  You decide if we're going to do a dyno run or race.  I bet engines that I win.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/5/20 9:06 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Tell you what.  Give me a total budget and time limit.  You decide if we're going to do a dyno run or race.  I bet engines that I win.

$300 

500hp

And you have to lose 2k lbs from the car.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/5/20 9:08 p.m.

Fair enough. What sort of budget do you have in mind?  Since dyno's can be fiddled with, a race track should be the deciding place. 
Let's  go someplace where you can really leg your big block out. Elkhart  Lake?   Will you be in a Camaro or Firebird?  Want to set any rules?  Max tires? Weight? 

Stampie (FS)
7/5/20 9:10 p.m.

Ok budget is $300.  9 is the timelimit?  Can't be EST cause it's past 10 EST now.  Not sure how you're planning on building a car plus engine for $300 cause to loose 2k lbs from the car implies we're racing.  But maybe so, I can loose 2k from an RV pretty easy and Toyman already thinks it'll beat you. 

Stampie (FS)
7/5/20 9:13 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Fair enough. What sort of budget do you have in mind?  Since dyno's can be fiddled with, a race track should be the deciding place. 
Let's  go someplace where you can really leg your big block out. Elkhart  Lake?   Will you be in a Camaro or Firebird?  Want to set any rules?  Max tires? Weight? 

How is the dyno going to be fiddled with?  I'll run on the same dyno as you and you can choose it.  Engine build I'm thinking $1000.  I can build a race car for the same.  Challenge budget rules for race car build?  How long for a time limit?

yupididit
7/5/20 9:55 p.m.

Y'all just show up to the challenge under challenge rules. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/6/20 9:25 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Autocross, yuk!!!!! Drag racing, bigger yuk!   Plus if you bother looking at a Map Minnesota is at the top middle of the country while Florida is way over in the lower left hand corner. 

Between gas, lodging, and food It's too darn costly to do something I won't drive a few miles to do. 
That makes about as much sense as solving the question by Bowling  or playing Golf. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/6/20 9:41 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:
frenchyd said:

How is the dyno going to be fiddled with?  I'll run on the same dyno as you and you can choose it.  Engine build I'm thinking $1000.  I can build a race car for the same.  Challenge budget rules for race car build?  How long for a time limit?

$1000 limit including original purchase price?   No selling off parts to recoup. If you already have parts (manifold,  headers, valve cover, etc. ) you can use agreed upon fair market value.  Or junkyard prices based on car parts. Com pricing.  have Must be a legitimate purchase with a signed bill of sale.  Or part of the $2000 total purchase. For motor and car. 
To make it simple we'll use the same  chassis dyno.  Track Test at an SCCA track night to be agreed on. 
Since I'm still working on my house. And will be at least until next summer. Let's give a 1 year window from then.  That should allow you plenty of time to locate both car and motor. 

Car should have been able to be purchased with engine from factory, Camaro Impala pickup etc. does not need to have been that particular car. So yes put a big block in a six cylinder version. No big block Vega's.  Minimum weight 3000 pounds, max wheel size 15x8  Tires?  brakes, Included in $1000 limit?  

yupididit
7/6/20 9:50 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to yupididit :

Autocross, yuk!!!!! Drag racing, bigger yuk!   Plus if you bother looking at a Map Minnesota is at the top middle of the country while Florida is way over in the lower left hand corner. 

Between gas, lodging, and food It's too darn costly to do something I won't drive a few miles to do. 
That makes about as much sense as solving the question by Bowling  or playing Golf. 

Oh okay. I didn't know where Minnesota was located, I should've bothered to look at a map. I also didn't know car related debates couldn't be solved by bowling or golf. You've taught me so much indecision

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/6/20 10:17 a.m.

So fellas, do we have the first for sale thread in GRM history that should get locked? 

Or what would you say we're doing here?

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/6/20 10:48 a.m.

This thread makes me want to V8 swap a REAL Jag like an X-type.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/6/20 12:28 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

Jaguar makes a V8 and rumor has it it's a pretty good one. ( no personal experience ). I have no knowledge or experience with newer models such as the X type. So I can't comment on how it will fit or work.  
There are a couple of guys here who own original Jaguars who seem very happy with them.  So maybe the Jaguar motor isn't bad?  

I do know in the Jaguar clubs switching from an older Jaguar engine to a newer Jaguar engine is called an upgrade. While switching to another brand of motor is called Lumping. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/6/20 12:34 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

So fellas, do we have the first for sale thread in GRM history that should get locked? 

Or what would you say we're doing here?

Seems like a friendly conversation about which is better?  Nobody has called me names. I don't believe I've called anyone names.  
I've tried very hard to make a clear case for my preference without any acrimony or hostility. I don't believe anyone has been hostile towards me.  
Are you offended?  How or what offended you?  Would you like an apology?  

Stampie (FS)
7/6/20 12:53 p.m.

One I will not agree to the limiting my choice of cars.  I'll build my race car out of whatever car I want.  Doesn't matter anyway if we're doing a chassis dyno.  I can do that with an RV.  I'd rather rent a engine dyno personally but whatevers.  Also I said I could build a race car for $1000 not $2000.  That $1000 included the engine.  So here's where I am.

$1000 for a complete chassis dyno race car including engine or $1000 for a stand alone engine to be run on a engine dyno  I'm cool with receipts and all but FMV for anything currently owned by a competitor will be decided by Challenge rules.  If a competitor doesn't agree with any FMV they can go to the board and argue their case either way.  

Summer 2022?  Now we're on Angrycorvair timeline.

Edit - Why so many rules on the car?  I thought we were discussing engines here?

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/6/20 1:50 p.m.

By the summer of 2022, you will have gone through a minimum of 27 cars, and Frenchy will still be on a Jag. cheeky

Stampie (FS)
7/6/20 1:52 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

I've already gone through 3 since last night that I already own.  You might be right.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/6/20 1:57 p.m.

Is this thread still here?  It's over, go home.

(Ferris Beuller style)

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
7/6/20 2:32 p.m.

Some of us are still having fun! smiley

You'll need to explain the Bullet reference... I didn't think the Moby was very good, so don't remember much of it. 

I'm too young for the Rat Pack, and too old for the Brat Pack. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/6/20 2:42 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

In Ferris Beullers Day Off the movie continues throughout the credits, and then after the screen goes dark, Ferris comes out in a bathrobe from the shower and says (roughly) "You're still here? It's over. Go home."

Stampie (FS)
7/6/20 2:44 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) :

It’s not over until the fat Jaguar loses. 

Ive got $10 on frenchy. 

Just to stir the pot devil

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5vD9VJz9Xr81U65MwpJtpfIaryZMiUL5Imu63bWBOyertdyfgJNsuIQemEKduEIi