¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/13/19 6:15 a.m.

Not mine, somewhat affiliated, you have less than 10 days from this post to buy it at this price before things get complicated by a cross-country move.

The short version:
-1989 MR2 t-top, 5 speed
-Healthy JDM 4agze, all maintenance up to date
-Runs and drives
-Comes with Star Specs and an MS2 (wired for the car but not installed)
-Big crazy roof mount intercooler, but the stock parts are included

You could buy this thing, either install (for moar powar) or sell (for moar recoup) the Megasquirt, put in a weekend's worth of cleanup and go over it, and go to the challenge and kick ass.  Here's the kicker- you need to get it soon.  The owner is moving to California, which is why I'm posting it for him.  PM me for his contact info and more photos.

Pictures: 

Here's the long version of the story behind the car if you made it this far:  

It is a '89 that I bought from the original owner who had it in north Philly. I bought the car in 2007 with 72k miles and did pads and rotors at that time and put in a new stereo head unit. At about 78-80K I swapped in the 4agze from Japan which supposedly had 50-60 K on the clock. I did a compression test before putting the engine in the car and the numbers came up higher than stock so I concluded that it might have higher compression pistons. I never did a compression test once it was installed. I kept the C series transmission with the swap (I think that it is a C52? Fifth gear does not pop out, but there is movement in the shifter when I let on and off the gas in fifth gear. When I did the swap I resurfaced the flywheel and put in a stock clutch. I also put in poly inserts in the front and rear mounts (The front mount finally cracked at the body three years ago and I had a welder weld in a stiffening plate, no issues since). I also put in brass shifter linkage bushings at the transmission.

Summer 2012 I installed the roof mounted intercooler. It no has 2.5 inch intake piping everywhere and uses the larger N/A throttle body. I made some adapters to use the SC idle up valve which is remotely mounted. I have a megasquirt that is mounted in a Ford Probe ECU case which plugs and plays with the Toyota harness. I have added some weather pack connectors in the AFM harness so that you can easily plug in the wideband and intake temp sensor with the wideband if you choose to use the megasqirt. I have had it idling on the MS but never had the guts to tune it. There are a few wires on the left side of the engine bay that are not wrapped in wiring loom, these are where I added the weatherpack connectors but never got around to rewrapping them.

Other things: The right side of the care had a little incident with a guard rail that pent the ridge around the front and rear wheel wells. I straightened those out but the paint doesnt quite match. The rear bumper stick out a little bit aft the incident and is scratched up on the side. I also had to replace the right rear tierod. I have since dropped the car on on jack and bent the left rear tietrod ( I straightened it with a hammer, but it probably should be replaced). I put in stainless steel brake lines this summer and did a brake flush, but I think that I partially stripped the banjo bolt going in to the caliper trying to torques it to spec, basically the bolt started to get easier to turn (I believe that it was the front left, but could be checked with a torque wrench). The system still holds pressure, but being a safety thing should definitely be sorted and I never got a chance to check it out.

The battery has been relocated to the frunk and properly mounted with a circuit breaker and the coolant overflow is in the trunk. Also, last fall I had the alternator rebuilt as it had died. I rebuilt the leaking distributor and did the timing belt and water pump at the same time.

Over the summer the tarp started to leak (t-top car) and a little bit of mold developed on the passenger seat and passenger floor. I cleaned it up with vinegar and a shop vac, dried out the car and bought a new tarp and it has been fine since.

Extras that the car comes with: rear struts with the anti-sway bar tabs (car currently has retrofit tabs installed), extra axle (originally from you), all the old intercooler parts, sideskirts/lip/mudflaps that I had removed, two new idler pulleys, megasquirt.

Star spec direzzas are probably 7 years old, but maybe 10k miles.Paint is pretty faded. AC was deleted with the engine swap. The roof mounted intercooler, while awesome, does make the throttle a little laggy, shorter piping and/or or an A2W would make it awesome again, I think.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
2/13/19 7:50 a.m.

Not that I need another MR2 or project in my life, but... where's the car located?

NINJA edit: I see CT plates. I too am in CT.  Damned temptation.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/13/19 7:50 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

Yeah.  CT.  Strike now before I do!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/19 8:00 a.m.

But please leave the high-mount intercooler.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/13/19 8:58 a.m.

damn. that is all. If only I were getting a tax refund...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/13/19 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Just skip a few of those Starbucks lattes and save up- think of the fuel savings compared to your Jag cheeky

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
2/13/19 12:38 p.m.

berkeley I was worried this was close-ish to Dayton OH.  Whew.  I do not need a 3rd MR2 in my life (but fully admit I probably will some day.)

e13h
e13h New Reader
2/13/19 1:00 p.m.

If the CT guys don't snap this up, i'm interested.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/13/19 1:24 p.m.

Actually if he was to bring that to California, I would be more than happy to buy it...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/13/19 2:18 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

I think if he brings it to California he's probably keeping it!

cghstang_chris
cghstang_chris Dork
2/13/19 2:51 p.m.

What's the rust situation?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/13/19 2:53 p.m.

In reply to cghstang_chris :

Some, but not a ton all things considered.  I have some pictures of the worst spots I can send you if you're interested.

zildjian106
zildjian106
2/13/19 6:08 p.m.

Hey interested in the car but I just joined the forum and I cant DM you. Could you send me pictures of the rust? Thanks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/13/19 6:34 p.m.

In reply to zildjian106 :

Sent you a message, check your email and let me know if it comes through.

Michaelb5399
Michaelb5399
2/16/19 12:02 p.m.

I'm interested and can't message you. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/19/19 1:49 p.m.

EDIT: This is SOLD!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KlG4OpE9rne17F6ekbEmH55bRwQqoYPiEzhWEELraC1dFa15mKp59wDGvZLKsbvS