cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/27/20 12:39 a.m.
03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/27/20 1:42 a.m.

Has to be a misprint. I heard everything on a jag is cheaper to buy... Must have meant to post for $250.0. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/20 7:38 a.m.

"It’s been sitting in Monterey CA since 1977. "

Looks like it's been sitting in Monterey Bay since 1977.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/20 7:42 a.m.

CM thought the Elan resto was impossible. Time to up the ante.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/27/20 7:54 a.m.

Looks like a $2500 vin plate and title.

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/27/20 8:13 a.m.

Barely a salvageable part anywhere. And it still appears to have an oil leak. 

johndej
johndej Dork
9/27/20 8:38 a.m.

Same seller has a ton of listing including this datsun/ferrari mash up...at $900 doesn't seem terrible

The Link

Keith Tanner
9/27/20 8:44 a.m.

I drive by that little lot all the time when I'm in town for Laguna Seca events. Always some interesting stuff kicking around.

We had a woman on this forum who was building a pretty decent replica GTO out of one of those kits a few years back - right down to a reshaped hood. IIRC it was getting a BMW V12. I wonder how that turned out? The original thread was a couple of iterations of the board ago and I can't even find it in the Internet Archive.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/27/20 8:44 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Since XKE's are selling for well over $100,000 $2500 isn't out of line. If it was a Roadster I'd be calling right now. They still make every body part.  And some of the trim looks useable.  

The reason I focus on the XJS is they are as low as they are going to get. Well actually they are well on their way back. What I paid $500 for a few years ago was as low as $300 a few years earlier.  In England prime examples sell for £30,000+. And have sold to knowledgeable collectors for over £65,000.  Right now one is listed for £99,000 

Here in the states the top of the market is $25,000-30,000. While the bottom is closer to $1,000 with XJ12 sedans still hovering in that $700 range. 

Keith Tanner
9/27/20 8:55 a.m.

So the XJS is in about the same price range as an MGB or NA Miata :) Exceptional cars get outlier prices, crap cars go cheap. Sellers think the cars are exceptional, buyers think they're crap.

Here's an article on the Datsun/BMW GTO.

https://www.carscoops.com/2007/06/ferrari-250-gto-replica-based-on-nissan/ 

Also, gratuitous drive-by video.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/20 9:11 a.m.

I'd buy the E36 M3 out of the Datsun ferrari if not forever away

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/27/20 9:32 a.m.

This was a 2+2, so even the title is worth very little.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/27/20 9:45 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

So the XJS is in about the same price range as an MGB or NA Miata :) Exceptional cars get outlier prices, crap cars go cheap. Sellers think the cars are exceptional, buyers think they're crap.

Here's an article on the Datsun/BMW GTO.

https://www.carscoops.com/2007/06/ferrari-250-gto-replica-based-on-nissan/ 

Also, gratuitous drive-by video.

Exactly. While I've only driven one Miata  for about a week I recognize it's nimbleness and compact size makes it feel great when driving while the standard Jaguar XJS feels heavy and bulky in comparison.  Race prepared that goes away.  It feels smooth and predictable, not nimble but more like a big Miata 
Driving a Corvette in race prep conditions I felt like a stock car driver.  I wanted to get closer to the steering wheel so I could put my shoulder into steering. Yes even with power steering. While  it didn't actually need it, there was no sense of connection at my fingertips the way a XJS  feels.  Similar to the Ferrari 330 I drove without the brutal pressure required to operate the clutch. ( I suspect the owner had just used too large a master cylinder) 

The race prepped V12  XKE I drove  gave me back that feeling of nimbleness and was just sweeter all around but the price of those has gone out of sight while the XJS remains affordable. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/27/20 6:39 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

$500

Keith Tanner
9/27/20 6:49 p.m.

My point was not about the driving experience but about the pricing. Some cars get to the point where the VIN plate has value - see Ferraris and air cooled Porsche - some do not even if the perfect ones start to pull in real money. MGB, Miata and XJS are in this category regardless of how they drive. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
9/27/20 7:33 p.m.

I would love a Datsun  GTO conversion and looked at the CL listing above but want a hardtop , 

if anyone sees a  fairly complete project let me know.....

and they were first called Alpha GTO and  built by Joe Alphabet ( he had an EasternEuropean last name and changed it )  who was a Ferrari guy in Orange County , CA

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
erHeXNfRiyk0hykuJsLgSgXrRCsBNTjTcvqBKt8ozjGX4ekdMC6tBDVyF7nTWCeJ