1 2 3
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/10/21 10:03 a.m.

So the time has come for me to make a hard decision. One Lap is still in the air with the current pandemic and the Tiburon is just getting too beat up daily for me to keep this a streetable track car long term. So... The Tib is up for sale with the receipts as follows:

Screw it, All in $2000. With everything here yu can have an LSD, Coilovered Tiburon making~170whp sitting on 245 RS-4's. Spare parts sold off to pay for paint. Strip the interior to get down to 2600lbs plus driver and go beat up on faster cars.

Full build and maintenance thread here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-i-cant-believe-she-actually-let-me-do-it-2019-build/150626/page1/. Lots of new stuff. Car runs great just don't be a tall guy trying to wear a helmet. The car was truly midpack on 200k mile old suspension and westlake 225's. The wheels it comes with are 17x7.5 and it is current;y wearing Hawk blue pads with its rotors. Spare set of pads/rotors come with it.

the bad: THe chassis flex is real. Do not open the drivers door while on jack stands. No lie. While a cage would fix the chassis flex, I don't think theres enough room for me and a cage. as it is I'm leaning way back to fit the helmet. Headliner is way too low for a tall person because of the sunroof and low roofline. It's an almost 20 year old Korean econobox. There is some rust, none structurally. CEL is forever on because there are no rear O2 sensors. 

With that said, this car turns very well. The suspension was worth the money I'm losing. The only thing missing is a set of ho-ho's on those wheels to make it a beast. 

Package sells as a whole or making sure someone else is covering the rest of the cost with the spares. It all must go before I'm allowed to replace it. Wife insists that you must come to pick it up (I have no idea why other than she is trying to stymie the sale). I know a guy who transports for part of his living now so I can always get you a hookup. This would be a good enough car to showup at the challenge with as is, throw a set of new tires on and with a pro-driver tap on the top 10. It's a 15-second 1/4 mile car, so if you want to go faster, bring the funny gas. Don't worry because you'll have a spare engine and trans!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/12/21 10:14 a.m.

Pretty Please?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/21 11:31 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

If it helps you I've read the ad at least twice.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/12/21 11:51 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to bobzilla :

If it helps you I've read the ad at least twice.

This could be your gateway drug into Korean car awesomeness.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/21 11:53 a.m.

Can you tell me more about what you mean by 'trans with diff'? I guess I'd normally expect a transverse transmission to come with a diff... So is this some sort of aftermarket or non-stock diff? LSD perhaps?

Do you know the car's weight?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/12/21 11:56 a.m.

These drive really nice.  I was suprised by one I autoxed once.  Good power, surprisingly good traction and very balanced if not a bit tailhappy.  

And they look pretty sharp too. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/12/21 12:05 p.m.

Correct. When the car ran in Gainesville I had installed an LSD in the trans. If you followed the buildy thread early last winter in prep for May, one of the axles decided that it was going to stay inside and not come out. I ended up busting that housing. So I purchased a known good trans with half the miles and installed with the intentions of splitting both trans and moving the LSD over to the new trans. Or swapping on the housing off the good trans onto the other trans. Both shift good. Last set of scales it was on it scaled in at 2840lbs with a full tank of fuel. 

So the spare trans has the LSD, the spare engine has some bent intake valves but good bottom end. There's a complete set of brakes (pads and rotors, labeled for which corner they came off of). There's a newer right rocker panel not broken but in black. and there are a set of very thin 225/45/17 RE-71R's to go with it as well. 

EDIT: keep in mind on the weight, this is still almost a complete interior, carpet, trims, headliners, sunroof, stereo, sub etc. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/12/21 12:56 p.m.

got it. thanks!

I remember seeing the part in your thread about axles not wanting to come out, but didn't remember the details. So the spare trans has the LSD but also has a busted housing it sounds like.

I need to go re-read your build thread

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/12/21 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

there are two options. A.) pull trans, pull both apart and install LSD into newer trans (that is currently in the car). Keep second trans for spare parts. 2.) pull the broken trans case and replace with the unbroken case on the one in the car. Keep spare trans with less miles for spare parts. or iii.) leave it as an open diff and sell the diff off. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/12/21 2:15 p.m.

<It's not much but it's honest work meme>

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/12/21 3:03 p.m.

But It's Honest Work | Know Your Meme

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/15/21 9:30 a.m.

I know it's way too early in the year to sell this as a challenge car but I can always hope. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/15/21 10:33 a.m.

I chuckle at the meme because the guy pictured is not that much different than your dad.  (not intended to be an insult, just a plain statement of fact.)  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/15/21 10:34 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

truth

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/19/21 6:01 p.m.

Just a reminder that this is here and someone NEEDS it

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/20/21 12:05 p.m.

May be in the cards to offer the 17x8 wrapped in 245/40 RS-4's for an additional $350.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/21 11:40 a.m.

whats it gonna take to put YOU in this car today?

Top 5 Worst Car Salesmen from Movies - The News Wheel

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/25/21 12:41 p.m.

I don't really see a price in the ad.  Challenge Price so I assume $2k ?  Does that include the extra parts or are they, extra?  

I think this could be relatively easy to sell on FaceBook.  I choose there because I think your main market will be younger customers.  With those customers you can benefit from the stellar reliability reputation of Hyundai today.  I think that like buying an older Toyota is a common choice for reliability, the age group born after 1999 and who came aware of cars closer to 2010, may have a similar perception since all they have been aware of is Hyundai = reliability.  

I'll help you build an ad if you like.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/21 2:32 p.m.
bobzilla said:

The Tib is up for sale with the receipts as follows:

Tiburon with coilovers/exhaust/intake $1500.

Spare trans with diff $750

Spare engine and assorted other parts $250. 

I know that this is going to be a specific mindset/person to buy. I haven't even bothered putting it on marketplace because that's not really the clientele for something like this. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/21 2:33 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Nothing says reliable like selling a car with a spare engine and trans.  Sorry I had to because the older I get the less filter I have.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/21 2:38 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Nothing says reliable like selling a car with a spare engine and trans.  Sorry I had to because the older I get the less filter I have.

lol I know. If the previous owner had changed the timing belt on time it would still be in the car

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/25/21 4:04 p.m.
bobzilla said:
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to bobzilla :

lol I know. If the previous owner had changed the timing belt on time it would still be in the car

*spare broken engine and spare broken trans. Since we're talking about reliability. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
1/25/21 6:05 p.m.

Were I closer...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 7:10 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

The trans is broken due to a poor mechanic. IT still funtions fine. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/26/21 7:51 a.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Were I closer...

so all you gotta do is book a flight to Indy on Weds before the challenge, fly in, pack up and drive it down. It's ready to roll. then you're only driving like 2/3 of the way you did last time

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qe3HRUhJIHnkYuwOeyBTdEbyEEPElJpPXJxaBvOqmLP6MwHry1zw451XaNXP3OsT