1 2
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/20/20 3:00 p.m.

SFAF - selling for a friend. No really, One of my best friends has gotten a nightmare cancer diagnosis and wants me to broker selling off his toys while he starts treatment. He and his wife are involved and will sign the final paperwork, BUt I'm handling all the negotiations and such. I hate this, especially right now. But I need to help him out.

I don't have photos currently. If someone is genuinely interested I can get some, but it's an issue given the state of the world. The car is street legal but was built for track. It's stored in an enclosed barn and is in running shape but hasn't been driven much in the last year if at all. It needs cleaned up.

The engine was pulled and sent to Flyin Miata to build. He would never tell me how much he spent, but I suspect it's near 5 figures. We had some tuning issues after getting it reinstalled so he trailered the car form Georgia back to FM so they could tune it on their dyno. I think the problem was a lemon ECU, but I could be mistaken. This is one of the quickest street legal cars I've ever ridden in. I've watched him chase down Porsche GT3s at Roebling Road in it. He instructed there with the Porsche club a lot at Roebling until the last couple years, you may know the car if you're a regular there.

If you are in the market for a fast Miata, this is a deal. Here's the description he wrote for me:

20004 MazdaSpeed Miata

ONLY 32,588 miles

Ext. Color – Gray          Interior – black leather w/ red stitching              OEM A/C and heater works great

Great daily driver (change pads to street level) but a Porsche killer on track.

Performance Mods: (Original Cost.)

-Flyin’ Miata built engine – 2.0L April 2012 ($$$$ don’t ask)
-Flyin Miata – FM2 Kit (GT2560 Turbo) w/ Hydra NEMESIS 2.7 ECU ($3,729)

-Tuned at 305 rwhp w/ 12psi boost

-Moroso PCV air/oil separator 85487, installed 3 ($150 each)

-Flyin' Miata Big Spark Ignition (LS3 Coils) ($700+)

-700cc Deutschwerks Injectors ($359)

-3” downpipe and exhaust with metallic cat ($1,237)

-FM level -1 clutch installed w/ lightweight 10.3 lb. flyweight ($699). I’m including a new clutch disc w/ sale ($159).

-Re-buildable drive shaft from Flyin’ Miata ($279)

-Deatschwerks 325LPH Fuel Pump Kit ($189)

-FM Crossflow radiator ($349)

-Stage 2 Flyin’ Miata airflow kit for crossflow radiator (NB) ($389)

-ATI damper pulley kit with 36-2 trigger wheel ($549)

-FM V-MAXX XXTREME stage-2 track pack package suspension kit (NB Chassis) ($1,144)

-Hard Dog Sport Roll Bar (double diagonal) w/ padding ($540)

-Willans 5-point harnesses for driver and passenger ($600+). Factory seat belts intact and functional.

-Treasure Coast Miata light weight Miata race Hard Top w/ clear Plexiglas ($847). Soft top still intact on car.

-Kirkey Racing 65 Series seat and cover; bolted to floor ($440). I have original leather driver seat. Passenger seat OEM.

-Miata Roadster MR-SE-4-A-P-1.25, angled shifter extension ($55)

-Beatrush shift knob Type-E Titanium ($154)

-REV Limiter laser-cut gauge face set in War Bird style; customized to 170mph ($159)

-Mazda 3.636:1 RIng and Pinion Kit for NB MX-5; from Mazmart ($887)

- Rear differential built by Rick Engman 12/2014          

- car tops out over 160mph

-StopTech Slotted Brake Rotors 126.45062SL

-Porterfield R-4 Carbon Kevlar Racing Brake Pads: AP 890 R-4

-Only Red Line Synthetic lubricants used in engine, transmission, and rear differential.

Asking $13,000

The following may be included with sale of car or will be sold separately:

- 1 set of tires/wheels: Advanti Racing Storm S1 in 15x9 matte black w/ Proxes RR 225/45R15 (5-20min cycles ea.)

-wheels new are $636 before tax and S&H. Will include in package for $300 or sell separately.

- 1 set of tires/wheels: Advanti Racing Storm S1 in 15x9 matte grey w/ Proxes RR 225/45R15 (6-20min cycles ea.)

-wheels new are $636 before tax and S&H. Will include in package for $300 or sell separately.

- FM Level-2 clutch disc & pressure plate ($459). Will include in package for $400 or sell separately

-Flyin’ Miata Butterfly Brace V2.0 ($479) – NOT installed. Will include in package for $400 or sell separately

We are located just outside Macon, GA - not far off I-75. I know travel is an issue these days, and GA is still officially on stay-at-home orders, but I wanted to get this posted in case someone is interested. I personally wouldn't want to fly and drive this car. It's sprung hard as hell, and is a high-strung runner that hasn't been driven regularly recently. 

Questions welcome.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/20/20 3:09 p.m.

Wish I could jump on this. Best wishes for your buddy and family.

4/20/20 3:11 p.m.

In reply to Hasbro (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks man. Dark days.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/20/20 5:28 p.m.

Wishing the best for him and his family.  You said street legal but other than the suspension how streetable is it?  Like does it still have AC?

Edit I failed reading in school.  I see it has AC.  

calteg
calteg Dork
4/20/20 5:37 p.m.

Seems like a screaming deal. I'm curious about the 2.0L...IIRC the Flyin Miata stroker kit is 2.1L. Good luck with the sale!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/20/20 5:43 p.m.

Id be interested in the grey wheels and tires if they get seperated

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/20/20 5:51 p.m.

Oof. That scratches a good itch. Money is tied up right now, but if it's still around when it's not, you may hear from me. 

4/20/20 8:09 p.m.

Thanks for the interest guys. I'm not sure on the details of the engine build. Keith might be able to pull records and give some details. I know the 305 RWHP was done on their dyno.

My buddy would occasionally drive it to work, 20 miles each way. For a hard core sports car guy it's very street able. 

I want to give the first option on parts to the car buyer, after that we'll see what's left.

BTW, this is just off the route to the challenge. Storage until a challenge trip is absolutely on the table.

Stampie (FS)
4/20/20 8:16 p.m.

How tall is your buddy?  Just wondering if he fits fat semi tall redneck size.  Asking for a friend you know.

Leslegg
Leslegg
4/21/20 2:35 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

please contact me @ 229-854-3090

Les

4/21/20 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

He's a little shorter than I am, so just barely under 6' tall. Not a skinny built guy, but not huge either. A solid 2XL t-shirt wearer. I will say the current bolted in seat is too tight for me to comfortably drive. Honestly though, the NB in stock form starts to make me unhappy.

Les - I'll try to give you shout, it may be a little later.

Leslegg
Leslegg New Reader
4/21/20 7:23 p.m.

still here  heading south from Atlanta Wed or Thursday

Les

4/22/20 4:21 p.m.

I got some older photos from the owner today. Car looks the same, just dirty. 

old_
old_ HalfDork
4/22/20 9:48 p.m.

Leslegg
Leslegg New Reader
4/23/20 1:46 p.m.

Dude im coming right by you.  I am very interested.  Are you going to contact me or not?

Les 229-854-3090

4/23/20 2:02 p.m.

Sorry Les, Work is an issue at the moment. I'll give you a call when I get out of this meeting. Gimme about two hours.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
4/24/20 12:58 p.m.

Hey there! Did Leslegg move on this? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/20 1:04 p.m.

FYI, we can pull more information on the car if we can get the name off that valve cover badge.

4/24/20 1:11 p.m.

Hey all,

I spoke with Les and he's definitely interested. Unfortunately, things aren't going well for my friend at the moment. I think this is going to be on hold for a bit, but I'll update here as things change.

Keith, if I PM you, can you send me the info? I'll post it but I'm keeping his name off the web as much as possible.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
4/24/20 1:12 p.m.

Really sorry to hear that about your friend, that sucks...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/20 1:24 p.m.

Sure thing.

5/21/20 3:17 p.m.

Hey guys,

After a couple chemo treatments my buddy is feeling well enough to put selling the wonder otter back on the table. I'll be calling Les tonight since he was interested and on hold, so he has first shot.  But I wanted to bump the thread back up.

I have learned a little more since I actually had a chance to hang out with Shane a little. The car hasn't been driven in about 6 months but ran fine last time it was. He drove it to work. The one issue is that the current Stage 1 organic clutch is nearing the end of it's life. It slips a little under full power - he says it's not really noticeable unless you notice the boost climbing a little too fast. A replacement stage 1 disk is included with the asking price, or you can opt in for the stage 2 package as mentioned above. 

It also needs battery but that's getting done this week. The suspension is currently set for the 15" track wheel/tire combo but it has the factory MSM wheels and street tires on it. This means it bottoms out a little hard, but this can be fixed by raising the coils an inch and flipping the struts over to the street setting. 

I'll update once I talk to Les.

hmrknocker
hmrknocker New Reader
6/25/20 8:37 p.m.

The Mazdaspeed splitter has been re-installed since this pic.

Stampie (FS)
6/25/20 8:49 p.m.

In reply to hmrknocker :

I hope you are the original owner/builder.  My hope is also that you're feeling better.  Beautiful car.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/26/20 8:13 a.m.

I'm not in the market for another car just now but am interested in a set of the 15x9 wheels.

armstrong390 at the yahoo server if you please.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RayfvcpX6980mZ4fYGexmsPbTiefDIFCEj5LEeKp2gy9R8K4iVIKrOTUb2MLEtYE