hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/20 10:18 a.m.

FB linky

Seller's Description

Hi I have for sale a 1988 ford E350 centurion custom van dually truck conversion the asking price is 7000 dollars this is running a low milage 7.3 diesel engine with auto over drive trans in excellent running condition this is a factory built conversion offered by ford dealership in late 80s this would have been the most expensive van truck you coul buy at the time this van/truck has new interior fully insulated new carpet new paintall upgraded lighting and is in excellent condition fully restored trucks like this are selling in high 20s to low 30s this is a Kool rare vehicle u won't see every day makes a Kool street rod race car custom toy hauler

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
2/13/20 10:25 a.m.

Why can I so easily see a modern day Spicoli roll out of a side door of that thing in the middle of a smoke cloud?

ebelements
ebelements Reader
2/13/20 10:34 a.m.

While I find them somewhat attractive for reasons I'd probably need therapy to uncover, I cannot even think of one scenario where I personally would require a neutered van with a gimpy bed and an aesthetic that screams "Race Plumber."

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/13/20 11:39 a.m.

That is rad indeed.  While I don't have an excuse or real for either, I love this one and the ramp trucks.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
2/13/20 12:05 p.m.
ebelements said:

While I find them somewhat attractive for reasons I'd probably need therapy to uncover, I cannot even think of one scenario where I personally would require a neutered van with a gimpy bed and an aesthetic that screams "Race Plumber."

I think their main intent was to haul 5th wheel trailers(mainly horse/livestock), while having a cab big enough for several passengers, or room to sleep in back before crew cab trucks were as popular as they are now.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
2/13/20 1:14 p.m.

They were made for hauling 5th wheel trailers.   There were even some dedicated combos built.

Later, conversion companies did more with crew cab conversion like my '93 Dodge Crew/Mega Cab conversion from Custom Conversions Inc out of Cleburne, Texas.

I believe this may had something to do with maximum length regulations that allowed conventional cab semis to proliferate around the same time period.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/20 1:47 p.m.

It's really just a mega cab pickup. Instead of trying to build a van out of a truck, they built a truck out of a van.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
2/13/20 7:21 p.m.

The main thing about both of the conversions  as opposed to a newer mega cab is that they have rear seats that turn into beds.  Now with a fifth wheel camper, that isn't as big of a deal, but used as a hot shot, it becomes useful.  

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/13/20 7:43 p.m.
ebelements said:

Its a hot shot. You tow boats and campers and the like to deliver them. Is there a 5th wheel or gooseneck attachment in the bed? The conversion van part is so you can sleep during the long haul.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
2/14/20 7:25 a.m.

I understand these were the solution before they started putting living quarters in the front of horse trailers.

Cool for sure. I didn't know they were doing a 4 speed OD trans in 88. Maybe a later conversion?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/14/20 8:30 a.m.

I'm certain it hauls a trailer just fine, I would be tempted to remove that tool box, put in ramps and get into F-500 or FV racing. 

ebelements
ebelements Reader
2/14/20 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Okay, now I'm on board. I ADORE the way that thing looks with a matching striped 5th wheel.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/14/20 10:28 a.m.

$7k for a non turbo 7.3?

Enjoy 35mph up hills...

Cactus
Cactus Reader
2/14/20 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

People forget that was just normal back in the day. Even with a turbo idi you were only looking at 45-50 up hills. When there was the national 55 limit, it wasn't such a big deal. Honestly,  you probably wouldn't want to go much faster than 65 in any truck from that vintage, towing or not.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/14/20 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Cactus :

you are entirely correct.. My 84 chevy cavalier had 84hp through a 3spd auto stock.. It made 60mph in about half a minute. 

but for $7K now you can go buy an 8-10 year old cargo van that can tow at 75 mph up "most" hills

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/14/20 1:37 p.m.

But that interior! Velour for days, or at least an overnight.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/14/20 1:41 p.m.
hobiercr said:

But that interior! Velour for days, or at least an overnight.

nothing says stranger danger like .......

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1C3mTpDyNfNh4bvG9vliL9MONrLt16rkNRXSJ0x7mRQAHBYBfJZSVT24TcH28BWI