914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/11/19 7:25 a.m.

1970 Silver Shadow for the price of a used GTi?

NMNA - - Located in New Hampshire.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
6/11/19 7:48 a.m.

Mostly because I don't like walking...smiley

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/11/19 8:55 a.m.

Thanks to the spouse I've spent plenty more than that on home decor.  Perhaps we should have just rolled this into the house and called it a day devil

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/11/19 9:10 a.m.

Because they are very poorly engineered.

Everything runs off a central hydraulic system that is not sustainable either from a practical, mechanical or financial standpoint.

You CAN DIY the things, but soon tire of asking yourself WHY everything has to be so difficult.

Now, if you want a body to toll on a new chassis, cant see where that could go wrong.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/11/19 9:12 a.m.

In reply to nderwater :

Yes but the interior of your home is probably nicer than the interior of a 70s Rolls Royce.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/11/19 9:25 a.m.
nderwater said:

Thanks to the spouse I've spent plenty more than that on home decor.  Perhaps we should have just rolled this into the house and called it a day devil

Home Improvement Loan:  You're improving the quality of your garage!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/11/19 10:40 a.m.

I'm currently about a half hour away if anyone needs some enabling assistance. devil

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/11/19 10:43 a.m.

For the same reason you don't marry Brittany Spears.  The maintenance costs are way too high...

tdrrally
tdrrally Reader
6/11/19 12:05 p.m.

LS swap?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
6/11/19 12:05 p.m.

At least they're insanely heavy for the size of the vehicle.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/19 12:42 p.m.

there is one local to me that is daily driven. He had it in the shop for some crazy brake/suspension hydraulic issue (why would one affect the other?) but that was several years ago and as far as I know it has been trouble free since.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/11/19 12:44 p.m.

I forwarded this onto somebody I know that's looking for exactly this sort of thing as a birthday present for their husband.

They've got the kind of money that can indulge a project like this without trying to DIY the really aggravating bits and driving themselves to throw things around. 

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/11/19 12:45 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

Even the shifter runs off of a common hydraulic system. It is powered with some kind of magic fluid that is more expensive than Unicorn tears.

Pete

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/11/19 1:58 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I've had a day dream of taking one of these that looks nice but has deferred maintenance issues and gutting it of all drivetrain and electrical systems and basically installing hot rod parts (E-rod drivetrain; Painless-type harness, Vintage Air HVAC, etc...), but otherwise leave it looking original. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/11/19 2:23 p.m.

I think you're on to something Ian!

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
6/11/19 2:41 p.m.
Rtdrrally said:

LS swap?

The Rolls Royce engine is plenty simple and reliable. ( pushrod V8 ). The carbs are so simple and easy to work on they make a Holley look  stupidly complex.  The  transmission is a  a simple GM turbo 400 .  While it’s not insanely powerful the car is so heavy there is no way to get it fast even with more than a 1000 horsepower.  

The ride is too soft  so fast would make it lethal.  The complex, unreliable, expensive part is the suspension and brakes.   Followed by the HVAC and wiring. 

Actually all of those can be dealt with but not by someone who’s suggestion is a LS swap.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
6/11/19 2:46 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Because they are very poorly engineered.

Everything runs off a central hydraulic system that is not sustainable either from a practical, mechanical or financial standpoint.

You CAN DIY the things, but soon tire of asking yourself WHY everything has to be so difficult.

Now, if you want a body to toll on a new chassis, cant see where that could go wrong.

I disagree that they are poorly engineered.  With major wealth comes a different set of priorities  than you have.  

Highest among them is exclusivity.  Complexity is a way to achieve that and ensure that depreciation doesn’t make them accessible to the masses. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B8vpzmXaYa7a1bOOJtQwO7OELsKTmuosUfRVcilqtTvWXrUesnHtzkscfmPHNCft